The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Had a quick look on the official site and they posted up a news story last year about who was being released and who we were offering new deals to the Monday after the season finished (16th May 2016, final fixture was 15th). So every chance there may be a similar announcement today I guess.

That Sun story is hardly a surprise though it's curious they note Jules being away (he's not even our player) but no mention of Griffiths who's also a loanee. I take it all those mentioned are getting booted straight into the bin with no discussion whereas with Ainsworth and McFadden there may be some sort of conversation to be had about intentions/plans.

I think our model is going to generate more Clay's and blyth's than Johnson's and moult's. We're trying to find players with potential that no one else has noticed yet, and the only way to do that is to take a punt. We're at a level where if we have to compete with anyone for a signing we're probably going to lose, so we have to get in early.

I'm not sure these are comparing like for like, really. The targets we've identified, and beaten others to with fees or whatever are; Johnson, Moult, Frear and Bowman. Of that four, you'd say two, in Moult and Johnson have been definite successes (at the very least from performances, and in Johnson's case, money), and Frear who is looking good for either money/performances.

Bowman, to this point, has been a bust. I'd reserve judgement until we get a genuine run of games out of him at centre-forward, but I'm unconvinced.

Tait and Heneghan could be argued either way, but both were free, and addressed needs for a right back and a centre-half. Tait was our main provider of goals at the start of the season, if suspect defensively. If we get any money for Heneghan, that has to be termed a success you'd say.

Clay, Lucas, Blyth... Again, we go back to McHugh's head injury. With him in the team, and how he's been since he came back in, you'd imagine he'd have played as many games as possible this season, with Clay, Lasley, Campbell rotating for that other midfield spot. I reckon Lasley and Clay would both have had better seasons in that kind of role, rather than being our main bodies in there. In Clay's case (and latterly Lucas), we needed a body in there, we got one, at that point, we can't really complain too much. I'd presume both were cheap, and have, to an extent, done a job. Blyth is shite, and cannot be defended. Shite shite shite shite.

Likesay, I'm not sure these are the same things. The paid ones we're hunting and getting something out of, I'd presume Clay/Lucas were punted to us by agents, rather than the other way around. If we're hit and miss on freebies, that's the peril of a free transfer, if we were missing on ones we're paying for, I'd say that's a much bigger problem.

I'm sure Jones signed an extension recently so not out of contract :

I don't think he's actually signed it yet. He was in the papers over the weekend saying that if Lee McCulloch didn't get the managers job he may reconsider signing it. Sounded like as soon as Mculloch is named as permanently manager, which will probably happen this week, Jones will sign the extension.

Looks a cracking player though.

I didn't actually understand the bowman signing too much as we signed him on deadline and we already had 2 starters up front who he was never going to put out the team and has been a waste of money so if he does go hopefully we get a fee for him but I think he's a decent back up players but not, because we paid a fee for him

Anyone who rates Bowman is off their head. A totally bonkers acquisition from the on the spectrum McGhee.

His grooming is also very questionable. Stick a sword in his hand and a floppy hat and he is in the musketeers.

Whilst I don't think he has set the world alight this season, I think your post is incredibly hyperbolic.

A bonkers signing? Considering signing players from the conference seems to be a route that we were/are taking, I don't think it's incredibly bonkers to sign a guy who has consistently netted double figures in the division.

I thought he was really good against Hamilton Accies in September, when he made three out of Moult's four goals. After that it soon became clear that despite McGhee's best efforts, it wasn't practical to play him, Skippy and Moult in the same team and when those two are basically our stand out players, he was going to be the one taking the hit.

Him coming in off the back of Johnson going was us signing the wrong man, in the wrong position, at the wrong time.

I don't think he's brilliant, but I think there are some attributes that could be harnessed into a decent player. I won't lose any sleep if he goes, but he's the only one in that list that I wouldn't give up on just yet.

• Like 2

Like others, not surprised by many names in that article. Bowman is maybe the only one. Not particularly because I rate him as a player but because Robinson has used him both as a starter and as a substitute ahead of Ainsworth and Gordon among others.

The article does say others may follow and the three names that leap to mind are Ainsworth, Clay and McFadden. The Ainsworth situation has a thread all of its own, but I suspect that it may come down to whether he'll accept terms that we would offer a squad player as Robinson probably sees him and whether he'll get better offers elsewhere. Clay, like Bowman has featured a lot. Does this mean Robinson rates him or is it just the fact he's been fit and available unlike Pearson and Lucas? McFadden, sad to say, I can see no reason to offer a contract to. If he's not been considered good enough to play ahead of Blyth and Bowman, does he have anything to offer now? Only thing I would say is, if Blyth, Bowman, McDonald and Moult all leave, we are left with a situation of having no strikers at the club (I'm assuming Moore will also be released). Do we offer McFadden a vastly reduced deal in order to have at least an option should we struggle to get our targets in promptly? Not saying I would, but given McFadden won't be inundated with offers, it's something the club may consider.

Certainly shows the scale of job Robinson has this summer. To lose nine players (with possibly Heneghan and Moult to follow) leaves a massive hole in the squad. Having said that, how much did the eight listed contribute?

Might we see Harri Kampman's lawnmower again..?

I didn't actually understand the bowman signing too much as we signed him on deadline and we already had 2 starters up front who he was never going to put out the team and has been a waste of money so if he does go hopefully we get a fee for him but I think he's a decent back up players but not, because we paid a fee for him

I always felt he was identified as a replacement for Moult going last summer, when Johnson went near the end of the transfer window I think there must've been a panicky to sign anyone, therefore we ended up with a player we just didn't need.

I always felt he was identified as a replacement for Moult going last summer, when Johnson went near the end of the transfer window I think there must've been a panicky to sign anyone, therefore we ended up with a player we just didn't need.

I tend to agree. Bowman was signed as a backup 'number 9'. Thing is, when he played, he often ended up playing with Moult which meant one of them playing out of position.

The bizarre thing about the Bowman signing was signing both him and Blyth. If you listen to both Blyth and Bowman giving their interviews upon signing, they both describe themselves in exactly the same way. Can play as a target man but also like to run in behind are phrases I distinctly remember from both. I remember thinking when Bowman signed that it was a very early admission that the Blyth signing was a mistake...

• Like 1

I tend to agree. Bowman was signed as a backup 'number 9'. Thing is, when he played, he often ended up playing with Moult which meant one of them playing out of position.

The bizarre thing about the Bowman signing was signing both him and Blyth. If you listen to both Blyth and Bowman giving their interviews upon signing, they both describe themselves in exactly the same way. Can play as a target man but also like to run in behind are phrases I distinctly remember from both. I remember thinking when Bowman signed that it was a very early admission that the Blyth signing was a mistake...

There seem to have been issues with Blyth pretty much since he signed. Even that early press conference where he got roasted in the press for the "Rangers are a League 1 side" (which isn't really what he said) meant he didn't exactly get off to a positive start PR-wise.

Also, if Blyth had actually picked up an injury early on then bringing in Bowman kind of makes a bit more sense. With Blyth out of action (assuming that's what it was) then we'd have been going in post-window with Moult, McDonald, Mackin and our assistant manager as our forward options. Which in anyone's book is light especially as it's worth remembering that Moult himself was only just back after surgery.

Also remember Belic was also signed on deadline day, after Marvin left. So many bad signings last Summer led to us being where we are now.

Robinson needs to try and make sure, we don't have so many duds this time around.

• Like 1

ollowing the conclusion to the SPFL season, the club can announce the following squad updates for summer 2017.

The following players are in discussions with the club with a view to extending their deal:

• Lionel Ainsworth
  • Russell Griffiths
  • Keith Lasley

—— (Under 20s)

• Barry Maguire
  • Dylan Falconer
  • Shea Gordon
  • Peter Morrison
  • Adam Livingstone

The following players will leave the club when their contract expires at the end of the month:

• Craig Samson
  • Joe Chalmers
  • Lee Lucas
  • Zak Jules (loan end)
  • Craig Moore
  • David Ferguson
  • Stephen Pearson

—— (Under 20s)

• Dylan Mackin
  • Tom Fry
  • Jordan Pettigrew

In addition, Scott McDonald has notified the club he does not intend to take up his contractual option for season 2017/18 and will leave the club.

‘Well boss Stephen Robinson said: “First of all, I want to thank everyone who will leave Fir Park for the last time as a Motherwell player.

“There are a lot of lads there who have played a lot of football for this club or have came through the ranks here, and it’s important we acknowledge that. It is never a nice or easy part of the game when people leave, but I have sat down with every one of them to give them my thoughts, which is the least I can do.

“At the moment, we have thirteen senior players contracted and the hard work has already started. I hope to have the first of the new arrivals in the door soon; I don’t intend to waste any time rebuilding as it’s a big job.”

Motherwell Football Club would like to sincerely thank every player who is leaving for the last time and wish them all every success in their future career.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/05/22/squad-update-may-2017/ Player update

Surprised at Dylan Mackin, thought he might have got a new deal.

Also note, there's no mention of Faddy.

Also remember Belic was also signed on deadline day, after Marvin left. So many bad signings last Summer led to us being where we are now.

Robinson needs to try and make sure, we don't have so many duds this time around.

Another aspect of last season's spending which strikes me is that we signed three midfielders. One clearly targeted, McHugh, looks like a good player. The other two, Clay and Lucas, came on trial and we're offered contracts. I know that you can find decent players by taking some on trial (thinking McDonald and Ojaama) but when two of your three signings in a key area of the team are brought in this way, it seems like poor preparation or a squad cobbled together.

Obviously we may have had other targets that we missed out on but it smacks of desperation. The Belic signing strikes me as a similar case. Reading between the lines, Frear was our intended target (and had we got him, our season might have worked out better) but the Belic signing seemed symptomatic of our business last summer. Rushed and taking whoever was readily available.

We can't repeat that this summer...

I wa s really disappointed by Mackin in the 20s games I saw, his goal record seemed to be fairly decent, but seemed to lack the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

I've got absolutely no idea why we gave Moore another year only to farm him out on loan and not give him the opportunity in the team.

I wa s really disappointed by Mackin in the 20s games I saw, his goal record seemed to be fairly decent, but seemed to lack the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

I've got absolutely no idea why we gave Moore another year only to farm him out on loan and not give him the opportunity in the team.

He had a clause in his contract that entitled him to a years extension if he wanted it provided he scored more than 12 goals, which he duly did whilst out on loan at Ayr Utd the season before last (14 I think). Sounds bonkers, but apparently true.

• Like 1

I don't see the Under 20's other than the highlights but had got the impression that Tom Fry is a prospect and I see he is being released.

That's the impression I had got as well. Maybe he hasn't shown any signs of progression and perhaps has gone backwards...

He had a clause in his contract that entitled him to a years extension if he wanted it provided he scored more than 12 goals, which he duly did whilst out on loan at Ayr Utd the season before last (14 I think). Sounds bonkers, but apparently true.

That's an interesting one, I know he had sustained a bad concussion at the start of the season so maybe played a factor in him not playing as much this season. There's not really any surprises on the list for me, is a big indicator of the scale of the rebuilding job ahead though for sure.

Im a little concerned by the keeper still in talks about an extension. Can't say he's done anything wrong but the fact it has taken until 3 games from the end of the season for him to get infront of Samson is a worry.

Depends if we're speaking to him about being first choice or not tbh. If we are, then yeah, it's a worry. If not then we're looking at a 21 year old goalkeeper who probably has potential to improve and has at the very least shown in the past few games that he's capable of coming in and doing a job.

Last season we retained a known liability in Samson as first choice despite him having been at the club 7 months before making his debut (and even then it was only after we'd secured Top 6 and the results didn't really matter) and offered a contract to a 30 year old who had only played 20 mins of football in 18 months on account of his knee having fallen apart.

Even having only been vaguely OK Griffiths still seems a better option than those two!

Not surprised at Mackin and Ferguson being released. Mackin failed to make the breakthrough and despite having the physique for the Premiership he was never really used as a sub or even made the bench too often. David Ferguson stepped in a few times in emergencies but always struggled. To be fair though he was frequently played out of position.

I see there's no official mention of the contracted players we want to move on.

Im a little concerned by the keeper still in talks about an extension. Can't say he's done anything wrong but the fact it has taken until 3 games from the end of the season for him to get infront of Samson is a worry.

My worry on that front would be the managers judgement. He's either better than Samson and should've been playing far sooner than he was or he isn't and he should be out the door.

My worry on that front would be the managers judgement. He's either better than Samson and should've been playing far sooner than he was or he isn't and he should be out the door.

Why? We need a back up keeper too. My biggest concern would be signing him as our number 1 for next season - reeks of Dan T all over again. However, if he is signed as a back up to a seasoned pro who can bring him along and eventually lead to him being the successor (Graeme Smith/Gordon Marshall style) then I'm all for it.

• Andy_P locked this topic