The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Doubt it.

Henaghan isn't worth a dime - realistically.

Cadden - you are going to be very lucky to get 500k for a technically limited player, who doesn't score many goals and hasn't kicked a ball in about 6 months.

Moult - look what Ross County got for Liam Boyce. There's no chance of getting £1m for him. Would most likely be closer to half of that.

That's all a tad harsh.

Heneghan had a poor 2nd half to the season but he was on the radar of big clubs prior to joining Motherwell and I doubt the reported interest is being fabricated out of thin air.

Cadden is far from complete but he's the best player we have produced since Murphy and has plenty of scope to kick on. He also worked his balls off while playing out of position to keep us in the league. Regarding value, we got around £450k for an out of contract Erwin.

As has been mentioned, Boyce has a £500k release clause to clubs outwith Scotland.

Throughout the Dempster era, offers were few and far between despite the quality of the squad. Now we are in a position where we have 3 assets that are attracting significant interest but we don't need to sell. Time to focus on the positives.

• Like 2

Happened to be on the same flight to Dublin as the squad this morning! Really hit home the amount of players I didn't recognise!!! Pretty sure the lad Cedric Kipre was there as he was sitting a couple of rows behind me! Nearly didn't recognise Dom Thomas, sporting a shocking bleach blonde hair do! Didn't see Robinson but all the rest were there.

Cadden was outstanding last season but after getting injured in 4-3 loss to sellik he wasn't the same but probably carrying an injury. With a good pre season I expect him back to top form and let's not forget the killie game at end of season when he nullified Jones superbly in 2nd half (I could have said man marked but nullified sounds better) heh he

I think in a sense whether any bids are received and even if they do get within the club's valuation we can't just accept first time. To do so would undermine the message the club have been giving for the last few years.

I would suggest there's a kind of a propaganda war that's been going on for the last two or three windows now where the message is being reinforced again and again that the goalposts have moved at Fir Park and flying a kite, as Hearts appear to have done with Cadden, is increasingly pointless.

If Hearts genuinely believed they could get Cadden for something like £100k it suggests there are those still to heed the message.

Whilst the timing wasn't right in terms of a replacement it was arguably beneficial in getting the good terms for Johnson's transfer to Oxford.

But in terms of the propaganda war it was a fair example of us publicly telling Oxford and importantly anyone beyond them looking on that we wouldn't bend over. And we didn't. We stuck to our guns.

A lot of it is perception. In the same way that for a while any player coming through at Tannadice or NDP was automatically considered the next big thing and interest reflected that so too do we have to build that perception until our talents, whether home grown or acquired attract realistic opening offers.

I don't think it insignificant then that our COO took to social media to quickly bat away suggestions of an improved Hearts bid knowing it was likely to be picked up and recirculated.

It provided a good opportunity to reinforce the statement that we are in a different place from a few seasons back and can brush off such bids now.

I don't expect it'll be the last we'll hear it.

• Like 1

I think when Cadden does go it will be down south

I know of interest from at least 3 English clubs and firmly believe that those around him in the club will advise him to move south than to another spl team particularly outside the old firm.

I think at least another 6 months-1year playing in a more central position would do him and his value the world of good though

FWIW - my realistic valuation of each player would be:

Moult - £750k to £1m

Cadden - £500k

Henaghan - £3-500k

Pretty much my thoughts Iain, although I'd be looking for a minimum of £400k for Heneghan . Surprised at some folk on here talking our players down. For years we've been decrying the club for not maximising transfer income. As regards Heneghan he's no world beater but not half as poor as some folk think. He can't be that bad if there's 3 English reportedly showing an interest in him. As regards comparison with Boyce's value there's various complicating factors, but don't forget he played in a better team than Moult did, and presumably benefitted from better support. .

Pretty much my thoughts Iain, although I'd be looking for a minimum of £400k for Heneghan . Surprised at some folk on here talking our players down. For years we've been decrying the club for not maximising transfer income. As regards Heneghan he's no world beater but not half as poor as some folk think. He can't be that bad if there's 3 English reportedly showing an interest in him. As regards comparison with Boyce's value there's various complicating factors, but don't forget he played in a better team than Moult did, and presumably benefitted from better support. .

with regards to those who talk down our players worth. I think you'll find the same people talk down everything to do with the club. I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion, however I prefer to check the names of the posters before I read the posts and just don't bother reading what the trollers have to say. Just don't rise to there desperation to cause controversy.
  • Like 3

Obviously professional football scouts are much better placed to judge than me and although they might be seeing something I'm missing in Heneghan, I just don't see that marked an improvement on a Kennedy or a Laing when I see him. People speak of Firhill as being his worst outing of last season (in which he was atrocious, along with the rest of the team), but for me his worst game was up at Dens in November, that I seen anyway. He made Craig Wighton look like a superstar that day and I would have expected to see that he had a decent season, but I think his stats were something like 2 goals in 35 games. That was him playing alongside McManus as well.

When you take a guy on for free like him on a two year deal it is fairly risk free, but with a year remaining after not the most inspiring season ever, if someone is offering £300k then I think it's sensible to bite their hand off for it. Any English side willing to take him on will know they are going for someone who is raw, needs guidance and has limited time left on his deal and as such, will only be prepared to pay a modest fee for him. Obviously, I'd encourage us negotiating to the best of our ability in a sensible manner, but I wouldn't want our negotiations to price anyone out of a deal of which for me, providing we have suitable replacements lined up, represents great business.

• Like 1

It's always amusing that the same people who complain that we never get big fees for players are the same ones who post how poor our players are.

"Heneghan is shite, and won't ever improove!"

"What do you mean we flogged him for 50k? We were robbed!"

• Like 3

Heneghan is shite and he probably won't improve much but even shite deserves a fair price and when you look at how much English teams pay for shite lower division players then i think 300-500k would be about right for him.

Or maybe - just maybe - professional scouts and coaches whose livelihood depends on these things know more about identifying players they can develop than the punters who can't see passed their own biases.

Hold on a minute....

...are people actually suggesting that we shouldnt hold or display an opinion on one of our players, if its an opinion with a negative stance, because that sticks us out as 'trolling' or we might give buying clubs a bit of leverage in negotiations...geez peace.

My opinion on our players has heehaw to do with controversy, its based on me having an ability to judge players that I watch week in, week out playing for a Club I've watched for decades.

For what its worth, i think Heneghan is being harshly judged on here by some...hes certainly not 'shite', and I'd be more than happy to have him here next season, but wouldnt be upset at him leaving for a decent fee. Cadden for me though, is vastly over-rated and any talk of anything above £500,000 for him is pie in the sky. Also, if we get £1,000,000 for Moult I'll be incredibly happy but I just don't see us getting that.

Anyone, remember the Johnson chat prior to him leaving for an 'undisclosed fee'? The thread was full of opinionated people stating the Club should hold out for £2,000,000 for fuck sake.

• Like 3

Anyone, remember the Johnson chat prior to him leaving for an 'undisclosed fee'? The thread was full of opinionated people stating the Club should hold out for £2,000,000 for fuck sake.

I stand by that, tbf. He'd still be a Motherwell player if we held out for £2,000,000.

For what its worth, i think Heneghan is being harshly judged on here by some...hes certainly not 'shite', and I'd be more than happy to have him here next season, but wouldnt be upset at him leaving for a decent fee. Cadden for me though, is vastly over-rated and any talk of anything above £500,000 for him is pie in the sky. Also, if we get £1,000,000 for Moult I'll be incredibly happy but I just don't see us getting that.

Cadden is still at the age where he can improve a great deal. Hopefully with a good preseason and better luck with injuries he will make a big contribution this season. Whoever the fitness coach is should be making him his number one priority.

Pearson went from a struggling to pass or shoot to the Scotland team in about 12 months. We are never going to sign a sign real quality player so we have work with potential.

• Like 3

I suppose we should be glad that YB isn't conducting negotiations for any player sales! Apparently we have a worthless team of worthless players? These players are very much part of our survival strategy and have attracted interest from other clubs. We are now waiting for meaningful offers. If Cadden and Heneghan are not of value to others then they will surely be in our team next season.

Well I'm not in negotiations. I'm just saying what I think they are realistically worth if I was in the market for these players. Two different things.

Or maybe - just maybe - professional scouts and coaches whose livelihood depends on these things know more about identifying players they can develop than the punters who can't see passed their own biases.

If only we had access to these infallible scouts we wouldn't have signed two dozen duffers in the last few seasons.

• Andy_P locked this topic