The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

And poss another option to sit between the midfield and forwards would give the 5 more signings that burrows referred to on twitter

I think the mention of five further signings was made prior to the signing of Rose and Griffiths. I think we'd like to sign another five but it will depend on moving others on...

I think we need cover at the back as many as 3 defenders depending on bens situation and another 2 forwards to replace bowman and Blyth who I don't believe offer anything going forward

4 including moult/fisher id be content with up top

2 defenders plus Ben/replacement at the back

And poss another option to sit between the midfield and forwards would give the 5 more signings that burrows referred to on twitter

I'd agree with this. I wonder how hard the agents of Bowman and Blyth are working to find a new club. I suspect Bowman won't be content with a place on the bench.

Regarding Moult and Heneghan, I hope we can sell them sooner rather than later so we have time to invest in quality replacements.

Whilst it's largely outwith Motherwell's control, the last thing we need is a Marvin style saga coming to an inevitable close on deadline day. The inability to replace Marvin in August had a huge bearing on our season and ultimately contributed to McGhee losing his job.

I'd agree with this. I wonder how hard the agents of Bowman and Blyth are working to find a new club. I suspect Bowman won't be content with a place on the bench.

Regarding Moult and Heneghan, I hope we can sell them sooner rather than later so we have time to invest in quality replacements.

Whilst it's largely outwith Motherwell's control, the last thing we need is a Marvin style saga coming to an inevitable close on deadline day. The inability to replace Marvin in August had a huge bearing on our season and ultimately contributed to McGhee losing his job.

Indeed it did but folks on here need to get real. To sell a player for the money we want and at the time we want depends on a buying club willing to satisfy both criteria. Folks on here would go into meltdown if we sold a player at the first offer and accuse the club of rolling over yet as Lobey alludes to, play hardball for more dosh and it goes right to the wire with all the replacement issues that brings. This is the system we have to operate in and it is far from easy. Folks criticise the club as if we should always get our first choice targets and always sell at the price and time that suits us. Would be great if we could and avoid mistakes but in the market we are in mistakes are more likely as you are taking a punt on potential rather than a stellar career thus far. Am confident though of better outcomes now.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd like to think we still have a couple of quality additions up our sleeve. Players capable of making a Moult/McHugh style contribution with one of them being a replacement for McDonald.

It's unlikely you are going to get quality players on trial. Nevertheless, a quick browse of reviews and limited footage doesn't fill me with confidence.

Dunne will prove to be a fast Joe Chalmers at best while Dembele wasn't wanted by Barnet. The striker is from the same stable as Tait, Heneghan and Clay so no surprise we are looking at him. His stats at Grimsby and Barrow last season don't look particularly impressive but he may well have something about him for Barnsley to sign him in 2016.

From the Leicester video of Cedric Kipre, he looks tidy on the ball but no idea if he can defend. Unfortunately our last 2 signings from the Leicester youth team have been brutal. Robinson did suggest today that he wouldn't be signing young English players to come up here and make mistakes for the first time.

My main takeaway from looking at Dembele was that Stevenage are actually a league side rather than non-league as I had just assumed they were. Even more surprising was that they were a League 1 side when he signed for them. Every day's a school day.

It seems he captained them as well, so that's something.

He and McHugh should be able to relate:

giphy.gif

From looking at the YouTube video of Kipre I thought he looked very Heneghan-y though is quite possibly (faint praise here) better on the ball, though there are some long diagonals there he also seemed to play the ball direct to the feet of whoever the centre forward was. There's not a lot of chat about him on Leicester's forum, which is hardly a surprise if he was in their u23s but what comment there is seems largely to be about his size. 6ft 5, he's a big lad and based on the photos from training the other day, he's got pretty good hair.

It's clear that SR wants us to be a bigger more physical side this season so i doubt we'll be signing any 5ft 6 players.Not a bad thing from a defensive point of view as we were weak in the air last season especially from corners but i'm just hoping we don't resort to pumping long balls at Moult/fischer every game.It didn't work last season and if we don't have players getting up in support which will be difficult with 2 holding cm's then i don't see it working any better this season.

Reports that Hearts have bid £100k for Cadden. In the Sun..... take from that what you will.....

The report has apparently been lifted by The Sun from the Sunday Mail (which isn't any more reliable). In fairness the headline is that we've rejected their offer and that the bid was immediately thrown out. Quite right too.

Am I right in thinking that even if Cadden ran down the next 2 years of his contract, we'd get a decent wedge in compensation?

This is a big season for Cadden, hopefully he gets the chance to play further up the park (possibly more central) and starts scoring a good number of goals.

Am I right in thinking that even if Cadden ran down the next 2 years of his contract, we'd get a decent wedge in compensation?

This is a big season for Cadden, hopefully he gets the chance to play further up the park (possibly more central) and starts scoring a good number of goals.

I'd imagine so. He's got 2 years to go and he's only 20 just now so we'd be due a development fee as he'd be under 23. I'd depend on the category of club he moved to but given we got £200k for Hall who had barely played 20 games then I'd imagine Cadden's value would be more. Certainly more than the £100k Hearts are reportedly offering.

How much did Erwin end up going to Leeds for? Was it £350k or more?

Remember that "fallen from grace striker", "can't mention any names" chat about a month ago, well one of the names mentioned was Kyle Lafferty.

BBC reporting he was at Tynecastle 2 days ago to meet with management. If he is the target and its down to prestige and money, we won't win as his ego is a tender thing. However maybe the Craigan/Robinson NI thing could sway things if we are interested.

Wither our fans think a) he can still do it and b) he would be a negative influence on a dressing room, who knows.

Remember that "fallen from grace striker", "can't mention any names" chat about a month ago, well one of the names mentioned was Kyle Lafferty.

BBC reporting he was at Tynecastle 2 days ago to meet with management. If he is the target and its down to prestige and money, we won't win as his ego is a tender thing. However maybe the Craigan/Robinson NI thing could sway things if we are interested.

Wither our fans think a) he can still do it and b) he would be a negative influence on a dressing room, who knows.

Would we be genuinely interested in Lafferty?, I don't think any Rangers supporters rated him when he was at Ibrox, so I would suggest "leave alone"

Can't remember the fallen from grace chat but he's been mentioned on here since he attended the Dundee game.

I suspect we did speak to him but were quickly priced out a move and that will remain the case unless we sell Moult swiftly. According to Robinsons latest quotes, we are looking for a striker but a pacey one.

He's not the most likeable character in the world and his recent club stats aren't great but if a team from our level manages to recruit a player that has scored the international goals and played with quality of striker he has, it would be a real coup.

His recent club stats are far from impressive. Five goals in his last 3 seasons, 16 goals in his last 4 seasons if you want to be more generous.

Not sure we have the room in our budget to pay him top dollar and hope he hits some form.

He's been playing mostly in better leagues than ours and often as a sub so i wouldn't look into his club stats too much and his international record is decent.If we signed him he'd get 15+ easily if he stayed fit but it's not going to happen.

International stats no a bit better?

2014/15 was his best international season during the same 4 year period.

Zero goals in 2 games 2013/14

5 goals in 6 in 2014/15

3 goals in 11 games in 2015/16

3 goals in 8 games in 2016/17

Not too shabby.

But still not sure we could afford to make him a top earner for a couple of years and hope he scores more than another 4 domestic and 6 international goals.

Of course, he'll sign for Hearts now and hit 20.

• Andy_P locked this topic