Scottish Premiership Game 20: Rangers (A) 27/12/17 19:45

Andy_P

If we can beat Accies and go on to 27 points we probably only need a season total of 41 points to stay up meaning we only require 14 points from the rest of the season. So we'd probably stay up although in current form 14 points is no easy matter, and its probably going to be a tough and nervy watch. If we lose against Accies there is a real danger the arse could completely fall out the season. We must beat Accies or I'm afraid someone has to set off a siren.

Fisher & Bowman wouldnt get a game for a single other Premier side. And would prob struggle at championship level, Petravicius looks a bit gash as well. We need a total overhaul if we are to do anything this season.

Yes we should avoid relegation, but just remember how utter shite we have been the last 2 seasons..... then take Moults 50+ goals out of that! We dont have him anymore, we need 2 goalscorers as a matter of urgency or else the threat of relegation will be bigger than it ever has been!

And for those saying Robbo has earned more time due to a cup final appearance? Remember Ranieri won the English Premiership and was sacked for less, as have many many other managers! This is Robinson's team, his players, his coaching and his tactics! And were fucking diabolical, he has time yes, but its running out sharpish!

I wouldnt be so sure we will avoid relegation... this run of form is most definitely relegation stuff. As good as a start to the season as we had we are now only 4 points better off than we were this time last year. Frankly we are easy beat, contrary to most folk view I think Kipre is an absolute bomb scare, Bowman is not up to it , McHugh has been piss poor since day 1 , Campbell is nowhere near the player everyone thinks he is right now though in Campbells case that may well come as hes very young. Rose and Fisher dont fill me with any hope and christ knows who will score any goals. As someone says we have lost to teams there for the taking and the reason for that is we are piss poor.

• Like 1

Cedric will be getting a ban for his tackle on Jack as well so thats another body out! Was slightly late and not malicious at all in my eyes but Rangers are screaming about it and the papers will highlight it as well tomo.

Say bye to Cedric for 3 games!

If we had an average replacement hed be no loss but sadly we don't, hes a bombscare positional sense is shocking

If you said to me at the start of the season we'd be 8th at the winter break, a couple of points outside of top 6, having won at Pittodrie, NDP, beat Hearts at home and taken a point off Celtic, I'd have taken it. I'm pretty sure most others would have too. That's not even mentioning beating Aberdeen and Rangers on the way to a League Cup Final.

It's a bad run, yes, and Robinson has work to do in January, but calm the fuck down people.

For me, the season as a whole so far can still be counted as a success.

• Like 10

If you said to me at the start of the season we'd be 8th at the winter break, a couple of points outside of top 6, having won at Pittodrie, NDP, beat Hearts at home and taken a point off Celtic, I'd have taken it. I'm pretty sure most others would have too. That's not even mentioning beating Aberdeen and Rangers on the way to a League Cup Final.

It's a bad run, yes, and Robinson has work to do in January, but calm the fuck down people.

For me, the season as a whole so far can still be counted as a success.

Exactly this. There would have been very few people complaining if you offered going into the break in 8th place, 7 points clear of 11th and with a cup final under our belts.

It just so happens our form over the course of the first half has been split into two - a very good start and a very poor finish - spread it a bit more evenly over the first 20 matches and I dont think the bed-wetting would be as intense as it is.

This doesnt detract from the fact January will be huge for us and we need 2 strikers who will be able to get around 15 goals between them in the second half of the season. If the likes of Tanner, Frear, Cadden and Bowman can also chip in with a handful each we should just about be able to manage Louis departure.

At the start of the year I would have taken a cup run and a comfortable league finish, with maybe a bit of a push for top 6. Weve done the first part and the second part isnt beyond us. Weve also banked circa £2m from sales and cup run so its not all doom and gloom yet!

Watched it live last night so couldn't really tell what went wrong at the goals. But, jeez, no wonder Robbo is raging at the goals.

First - Watch Dunne as he starts off marking Wilson and ends up miles away running full pelt to head the ball while Wilson checks his run. Wilson must have been pishing himself. Also a note to Fisher's pish attempt to get in the way of the shot.

Second - Dunne does not play offside. Hartley goes absolutely nuts at him after the goal. Shambles.

• Like 1

Watched it live last night so couldn't really tell what went wrong at the goals. But, jeez, no wonder Robbo is raging at the goals.

First - Watch Dunne as he starts off marking Wilson and ends up miles away running full pelt to head the ball while Wilson checks his run. Wilson must have been pishing himself. Also a note to Fisher's pish attempt to get in the way of the shot.

Second - Dunne does not play offside. Hartley goes absolutely nuts at him after the goal. Shambles.

Made a point of watching the first goal back after Robbos interview and his comments about man marking/second phase. Dunnes marking of Wilson is unreal! When Wilson hits it Dunne is literally the furthest away Motherwell player from him.

Robbo has signed or reigned a lot of mediocre shite and its all too evident to see . His plan A isnt working and he doesnt have a plan B.

I actually said this after the opening game of the season at Fir Park against Sevco, with us constantly going down the wings and their defenders clearing every cross away with absolute ease. Said then Robinson's lack of a plan B (or adaptability if you will) would cause him bother down the line.

And it's something that I have noted a few other times this season - home game against Hibs the most obvious, where we were being massively overrun in the middle.

When we are fully fit, with Moult, our Plan A can be hugely effective, but when teams suss us out, we fail to evolve to a new strategy. This has been a made more obvious in the recent run where we are missing a lot of key players.

Not at the calling for his head stage by any means - which is utter nonsenses for me - and also think we won't be dragged into a relegation scrap as the four teams currently below us are weaker than us over the 38 game season for me. However, definitely alarm bells sounding for sure.

Despite hating the term, referred to the Killie game a "must win" a few weeks back to stop the rot and been proved right. Saturday is now absolutely vital, even season defining. It will determine in what shape we will go into the much needed break - either on 27 points and in the fight for the top 6, or 1 point above Accies and only 4 above the winner of Thistle v County this time. Lose on Saturday and it will be a long three weeks for us 'Well fans.

Think we need the break more than any team in the league right now.

• Like 1

As some have said, a bit of context needed here. We were always going to go through a tough spell of disproportionate away games after playing 6 at home and 3 away prior to the semi final. That allied to Moult being out, plus a few of our other really important players missing games (Cadden, Hartley, Carson, Frear) has combined to see us really struggle. If you look at the last 5 games (since the game at Parkhead) weve only played 1 home game and we had to do that with 10 men for the majority of the 2nd half and still came out of it with a point! No doubt Saturday is now a big one given that we are at home against a team we would and should expect to beat, however if it goes against us I still believe Robinson has earned time from the fans to get it right. Turning on him at this stage, just over a month from him taking us to a cup final would be ridiculous in my opinion. He should and will be given the opportunity to bring a few in Jan and then lets see where we are come the end of Feb when those players have bedded in. Dont think well be top 6 but neither do I think well be relegated.....

I looked at both sets of highlights and concentrated on Sevco's efforts on Carson not just their goals. They attacked our box at will, with little or no resistance from a weak midfield. We had little or no width. Covering in the box and not just by Dunne was very poor. Weaknesses that evident aginst Dundee, and probably before that.

But thats Dunne all over, he might be a slight upgrade on Joe Chalmers but hes never a footballer and yet he plays every single week.

I, and many others, would have Hammell in there every single time.

Thats on Robinson Im afraid.

• Like 1

Another missed opportunity for me, and with each one that slips past it becomes that little bit more concerning.

I thought we looked up for it last night and were fairly accomplished in the first half. Crucially however we failed to take the chances when they fell to us. A decent opportunity around three or four minutes in and one an injury time. We have to be taking those kind of chances if we're going to win games.

The second half however was very disappointing. We started poorly, our ball retention was awful and there was no cohesion to what we were doing. So many clearances that just came back to us because lines weren't properly cleared or we were unable to retain possession for any period of time that put so much unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

I passed up the opportunity to suffer the goals being replayed on their big screen but it irks a little that from what appeared broadly similar positions one of our most attack minded players on the park fails to take his chance before the break whilst their centre-half bursts the net.

Again it was a game where I can't really be too critical in terms of effort and keeping going to the end but we are so so lacking in guile and the ability to finish chances off at the moment that when we do go behind you are immediately fearful of our ability to recover.

I haven't read the interview but I see some headlines attributed to Robinson about losing patience with his strikers. Fisher is a player I really want to see do well for us but he is fast approaching that stage where I suspect his team-mates are as equally lacking in confidence as supporters about his ability to put the ball away. He seems committed to the cause and has a desire to do well for us. But I shudder when I think back to that effort in the second half that went out for a throw-in for example. But the kind of misses last night are the same kind of chances he was passing up at the likes of Dingwall and Edinburgh City. I don't know whether it's purely confidence based or ability but he's veering further and further into Jacob Blyth territory with every passing game. Bowman also appears to have regressed since Moult's injury.

All things considered Saturday is shaping up to be a pretty massive game. Dare I say verging on the season defining? A win and you've got a decent gap again over Hamilton and those further behind, and the associated momentum to take you into the Cup game. A defeat and they are within a point and there's nothing you can do to remedy the situation on the park for the best part of three weeks.

But thats Dunne all over, he might be a slight upgrade on Joe Chalmers but hes never a footballer and yet he plays every single week.

I, and many others, would have Hammell in there every single time.

Thats on Robinson Im afraid.

Im with you on that one. Hammell may not be as athletic but hes a better defender and can actually pass.

All things considered Saturday is shaping up to be a pretty massive game. Dare I say verging on the season defining? A win and you've got a decent gap again over Hamilton and those further behind, and the associated momentum to take you into the Cup game. A defeat and they are within a point and there's nothing you can do to remedy the situation on the park for the best part of three weeks.

Looking at our post-break fixtures, I'd say the next few games will define our season. Few good results and top 6 is still a definite possibility whereas if we don't arrest our current form then we could be bang in trouble with a few tough fixtures prior to the split.

• Like 1

Going by the brief highlights I watched on the BBC our strikers appear to lack belief in front of goal. They appear to have consigned themselves to missing the target before they have even connected with the ball. That’s one thing we will miss about Moult is his belief that he will always score. I really hope Robinson has an ace transfer target up his sleeve, if not we could be in trouble going into the second half of the season.

Im with you on that one. Hammell may not be as athletic but hes a better defender and can actually pass.

Hammell can certainly pass and indeed cross better than Dunne, I wouldn't disagree on that. However Dunne is quicker, stronger, better in the air and a better defender. Stevie Hammell could never defend and his positional sense was always his achilles heel. Don't forget too he part and parcel of one of the worst Well defences in years. Most of that was not his fault of course but he played his part. Dunne may not be the answer but turning the clock back isn't the answer either.

• Like 1

Hammell can certainly pass and indeed cross better than Dunne, I wouldn't disagree on that. However Dunne is quicker, stronger, better in the air and a better defender. Stevie Hammell could never defend and his positional sense was always his achilles heel. Don't forget too he part and parcel of one of the worst Well defences in years. Most of that was not his fault of course but he played his part. Dunne may not be the answer but turning the clock back isn't the answer either.

Hes certainly quicker and stronger, but a better defender and positional sense ? Have to question that aspect, hes all over the place at times.