International Players Thread

GazzyB

On 3/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, The African said:

Liam Kelly is a decent enough goalkeeper but unfortunately, for any international aspirations he might have had, his form has dropped off just as a window of opportunity, in the shape of injury to the incumbent, arrived.

He has been  overlooked in meaningless friendlies and other games when he could have been played, why pick him for the squad if there was no intention to play him.

The nonsense with bringing in Gunn a player who had already turned his back on Scotland highlighted the issues with Clarke. He is far too loyal to a few players who invariably under perform, his squads are full of players he has no Intention of playing. There are players like Turnbull, Campbell, Nisbet etc who never get a look in under Clarke when the pseudo Scots like Che Adams and the like are 1st picks. 

As you have probably guessed by now I'm not a fan of Clarke, for years we've trawled the English leagues for anyone who's parents ever ate shortbread at the expense of good home grown talent, that approach needs to stop, but it won't under Clarke.

2 nil to France at HT. Miller has made some good contributions but overall it's like watching a Featherweight fighting a Middleweight in boxing. France have a boy at the back about the same size as Mugabi and are bigger 1-11.

Ryan One from Accies has been Scotland's best player and will be attracting interest. As usual with Scotland youth teams it's a wide spread of ability and there are two absolute no hopers from Celtic and the centre back from Rangers isn't up to much. 

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The nonsense with bringing in Gunn a player who had already turned his back on Scotland highlighted the issues with Clarke.

Liam Kelly is not an international standard goalkeeper and has made far too many bad errors for us to be considered for a cap. Just this year Main's goal in Paisley, Tavernier's free kick at Fir Park and the Dundee United penalty.

We would all rather it was 11 Scottish guys playing but the reality is we aren't bringing through goalkeepers or strikers in this country at all so we need to spread the net. 

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Utter pish, Clarke keeps picking him so he thinks he is but never plays him to confirm he made the correct choice that's the problem.

He picks Kelly because there is no one else. After McGregor, Gordon and Marshall Scotland hasn't produced a single quality goalie. We haven't brought through a quality striker since probably Duncan Ferguson and he played in the 91 Cup final.

Scotland u17 got beat 3-1. Miller had a few good moments in the second half but went off injured with a few minutes to go after getting some heavy hits from the Frogs. The diddy from Rangers at the back managed to give away two pens and the goalie saved both of them which didn't quite make up for the two goals he sold from crosses.

In a clasic Celtic-SFA coaching move McLaughlin subbed off Ryan One right after he set up a goal to get us back to 2-1 despite him being the only Scottish player with any threat in attack. 

On 3/26/2023 at 2:37 AM, Thunderlips said:

Clarke literally got us to our first major finals since 1998. 

On 3/26/2023 at 2:37 AM, Thunderlips said:

Clarke literally got us to our first major finals since 1998. 

Whilst not offering an opinion on him one way or another on the Scotland job , he proved his worth at Kilmarnock

I think it should be pointed out however that he was "literally" the only manager afforded the draw with Israel twice and yer in route

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, David said:

I'm sure there must be better things for Liam Kelly to be doing in June after a long season than sitting on his arse in Norway and Glasgow? He's never getting picked for either game.

That's the trademark of that useless fud Clarke, filling his squads with players he has no intention of playing, while staying loyal to his favourites who constantly underperform

• Like 1

And I'm not even saying Kelly should have been playing in important qualifiers, but if you want a keeper to be a backup and be ready if needed, play him in friendlies. Turkey, Poland, Austria. All chances to give him a runout.

I'd personally tell Clarke respectfully, to shove it. Time spent on those trips with zero chance of any football is time spent away from family.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

That's the trademark of that useless fud Clarke, filling his squads with players he has no intention of playing, while staying loyal to his favourites who constantly underperform

Don't most international teams travel with three keepers?

38 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Don't most international teams travel with three keepers?

They probably do, but each keeper will  have had a cap and played at some point, I've lost count of the number of squads Kelly's been in now and has never played a single minute in any of them, it's a disgrace.

• Like 1

It’s far from a disgrace. Clarke’s not running a charity shop. It’s a results driven business and the emergence of the nations league has reduced the likelihood of fringe / reserve players getting game time for all but the nations with the biggest talent pool.

do I think it was unfortunate that Kelly never got a sniff against turkey? Of course I do. But well fans would be the first to complain if a players attitude dropped below standard if not playing for Motherwell. So I’m struggling to fathom why it would be considered fair game at international level. Thankfully it would appear that Liam Kelly has some professional integrity.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

It’s far from a disgrace. Clarke’s not running a charity shop. It’s a results driven business and the emergence of the nations league has reduced the likelihood of fringe / reserve players getting game time for all but the nations with the biggest talent pool.

do I think it was unfortunate that Kelly never got a sniff against turkey? Of course I do. But well fans would be the first to complain if a players attitude dropped below standard if not playing for Motherwell. So I’m struggling to fathom why it would be considered fair game at international level. Thankfully it would appear that Liam Kelly has some professional integrity.

Yep I thought it was shocking that Clarke picked Angus Gunn who lets not be fooled. He is only picking Scotland cos Craig Gordon is injured. However......I am not convinced Liam is international class but he turns up for every squad. Clarke goes on about loyalty but he certainly hasn't been loyal to Liam or Zander Clark 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

But well fans would be the first to complain if a players attitude dropped below standard if not playing for Motherwell. So I’m struggling to fathom why it would be considered fair game at international level. Thankfully it would appear that Liam Kelly has some professional integrity.

Oh, I'm not saying his attitude should be bad whilst he's on international duty. I'm saying that he must know it would take a goalkeeping catastrophe for Clarke to even consider using him. Ever.

Why waste your valuable time off with that? What's the point when you know you're never going to play? Personally, I'd quietly tell Clarke that he can choose someone else to bring along as a mascot and that I'm going to spend the international breaks with my children and wife. 

14 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

It’s a results driven business and the emergence of the nations league has reduced the likelihood of fringe / reserve players getting game time for all but the nations with the biggest talent pool.

Fringe players......we all know if Craig Gordon and maybe McGrogor were fit nobody else would get a look in. MGregor is past it now and so will Gordon be soon but the way Clarke is going we will arrive at that moment with him having no clue who the next 1st choice keeper will be because the likes of Zander Clark, Kelly etc never get any game time.

Then to make matters worse he goes and grovels to a player who has already turned his back on Scotland to come back but as he will never get near the English team he agrees, what message does that send out to kelly and the rest, it's feckin nonsense

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

If it is not a disgrace then it is negligent and exhibits a total lack of forward planning. At the very least the standby goalies should have been blooded in any one of numerous friendlies or meaningless ties. Just in case the number one choice got injured during an important qualifying fixture resulting in an untested keeper being thrown in at the deep end..

As a result we have witnessed an embarrassing plea for Marshall to reverse his international retiral. Followed by an approach to Gunn, a player who had previously refused a call up in the belief he was destined for better things. Now those better options have disappeared he is unsurprisingly available. I don't think anyone is denying Gunn is a better option then Kelly or Clark but the manner in which we have arrived at the present situation says a lot about Steve Clarke. Loyal beyond reason to some and so disrespectful to others.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, steelboy said:

Liam Kelly is not an international standard goalkeeper and has made far too many bad errors for us to be considered for a cap. Just this year Main's goal in Paisley, Tavernier's free kick at Fir Park and the Dundee United penalty.

We would all rather it was 11 Scottish guys playing but the reality is we aren't bringing through goalkeepers or strikers in this country at all so we need to spread the net. 

None of those are worse than Craig Gordon's two howlers against England.  

And Gordon wasn't good enough for Celtic who replaced him with dross like Barkas, Bain and Joe Hart!

Craig Gordon is one of those guys who gets talked up all the time and has journos eating out his hand.

Liam Kelly might not be Scotland's greatest ever goalkeeper but he's better than modern day McGregor, Marshall and Gordon and should be getting caps based on being one of the top three goalkeepers we have available at the moment.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...