International Players Thread

GazzyB

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not good ones.

A certain cup replay v Hearts at Fir Park springs to mind.

Still gives me nightmares.

Yup that was my exact same image, remember being right behind the goals and my Dad putting his arm round me after the goal as I was gutted.  We would have had St Mirren in semi final and Dundee or Dundee utd in final, huge opportunity missed.... thankfully roll on 4 years later to 91

14 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I had a notepad and pen with me and occasionally grabbed phone and went "yes Pep...looks promising.....has potential"....lol

I work my Manger's coat and 

14 hours ago, steelboy said:

Max was good going forward first half. Second half he struggled and if he played in the league for us teams would target him.

Second half Iceland changed tactics to account for the fact that Scotland had nothing on the left hand side and neither Smith or Doak were tracking back and got their two goals to win the game. Scott Gemmill shown up as a clown again but him and Billy Stark seem to be in jobs for life.  

Despite that it was a good game and Scotland had the chances to be out of sight. Doak and Morrison were stand outs and if Doig and Ramsay were available they would have won easily. 

Should have won it by half-time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

World Cup starting and got hee haw enthusiasm, and as for Qatar being hosts, I don't even know their squad, only Qatar players I know are Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen !!....cue....here we go........ba boom!!

You missed out Steve Miller.  He was the joker .

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Liam Kelly has been named in the Scotland squad for the Spain and Cyprus games

Where he will undoubtedly spend all of his time sitting on the bench. I think Clarke's level of belief and trust in him was shown as he desperately tried to find someone, anyone with a hint of Scottish ancestry who he could choose ahead of Kelly and Clark. Even someone who's knocked us back in favour of England will do.

If I was Kelly I'd honestly think about calling it a day on international football. There has to be a point in time where he starts to think that instead of sitting on his arse in Austria, the Faroe Islands, Turkey or Armenia watching Scotland play he could use that free time away from club football to spend more time with his family.

• Like 1

Glad to see Gunn in the squad as he has much more than "a hint of Scottish ancestry". His old man played for Scotland and he looks like a solid addition to the squad.

The grandparent/ancestor rule is one of the (many) reasons that makes International football meaningless to me. If you can pick and choose your nationality in a footballing sense then it just makes a mockery of the whole thing and it is clear that in the case of Angus Gunn that he is opting to ‘be Scottish’ because he knows he has next to no chance of ever featuring for the England national team. I know his father is Scottish but that was the case when Gunn jnr was representing England at every youth level up to u-21, so why else change national team now?

• Like 1

I don't think Kelly is international level but the Gunn scenario is an absolute joke.  I don't doubt eligibility as Dad Scottish but he turned us down twice and then spookily enough after Gordon gets long term injury he suddenly decides he wants to play for us.

Clarke should have told him where to go but this is the man who is over loyal and also doesnt pick shankland or nisbet or Morgan but sticks with Jacob Brown!!....totally crackers!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MJC said:

The grandparent/ancestor rule is one of the (many) reasons that makes International football meaningless to me. If you can pick and choose your nationality in a footballing sense then it just makes a mockery of the whole thing and it is clear that in the case of Angus Gunn that he is opting to ‘be Scottish’ because he knows he has next to no chance of ever featuring for the England national team. I know his father is Scottish but that was the case when Gunn jnr was representing England at every youth level up to u-21, so why else change national team now?

The rugby situation is worse....pick guys who stayed here for 5 years....one of players even has 14 caps for Australia!!

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

The rugby situation is worse....pick guys who stayed here for 5 years....one of players even has 14 caps for Australia!!

Similar rule applies in football. I think if a footballer has done five years of schooling in Scotland then they are eligible to play for Scotland. Think this came up when Andrew Driver looked as though he might turn out to be a decent player.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

The grandparent/ancestor rule is one of the (many) reasons that makes International football meaningless to me.

That's the one that annoys me most too.

A simple "born in the country or one parent born in the country" should be the limit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Similar rule applies in football. I think if a footballer has done five years of schooling in Scotland then they are eligible to play for Scotland. Think this came up when Andrew Driver looked as though he might turn out to be a decent player.

Andrew Driver and later, I think, Islam Feruz when they thought he'd be the next big thing.

I dont have a problem with the rules for eligibility as long as the player selected has an affinity to Scotland and wants to play for the jersey.

Unfortunately thats not the case with Gunn. He not only played for England up to U21 level, but he has turned down Scotland in the past, supports England and happily gloated at Scotland being eliminated from the Euros.

I have no issue with him feeling English. But he should go play for England.

I would have asked David Marshall to come out of retirement for these games. But in his absence Xander Clarke should get the nod as his form has been better than Kellys of late.

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I have no issue with him feeling English. But he should go play for England.

The boy is English end of, but the problem is he is not good enough and will never get picked for the full England team so he switched to Scotland and that fud Steve Clarke will end up playing him to seal the deal.