Hearts v Motherwell 29/01/2022

Wishielad

13 minutes ago, insrebus said:

I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse or flippant, if Solhom is "a typical old school defender", how does that make him a better option than Lamie? I don't want to quote stats, but if you review the points gained dependent on who was playing this season, Lamie is way ahead. That's before we look at goals and assists 

You have a difference of opinion to me,your not coming across as obtuse or flippant for a second.lamie was a bombscare for a while and then improved into someone that we could depend on when he was in the team but I would still have sondre before him everytime,I do think he's been poor since the break,I don't think having carroll beside him is a great idea,we definitely need a settle centre back pairing to get the best out of the options we have.

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

You have a difference of opinion to me,your not coming across as obtuse or flippant for a second.lamie was a bombscare for a while and then improved into someone that we could depend on when he was in the team but I would still have sondre before him everytime,I do think he's been poor since the break,I don't think having carroll beside him is a great idea,we definitely need a settle centre back pairing to get the best out of the options we have.

So you agree that Lamie is dependable, but Sondre is poor. Carroll was the better centre half today and he is the out of favour left back. What an absolute farrago of nonsense our club is, directed by an egotistical fraudster who claims that we were the better team today.

12 minutes ago, mfc said:

I don't think having carroll beside him is a great idea,we definitely need a settle centre back pairing to get the best out of the options we have.

Agree 100%. Apart from individuals we need 2 defenders who can play together. Our central defence has been very unsettled. I'd like to see Ojala back in.........if he can keep clear of injuries. A settled defence is vital. 

4 minutes ago, insrebus said:

So you agree that Lamie is dependable, but Sondre is poor. Carroll was the better centre half today and he is the out of favour left back. What an absolute farrago of nonsense our club is, directed by an egotistical fraudster who claims that we were the better team today.

Lamie did develop into a dependable player for us but sondre is a far better player even though he's been poor the last the last 4 games.i don't get the whole play carroll at centre back when there's far better options on the bench.alexander saying we were the better team is just nonsense,we shot ourselves in the foot and handed the game to an average hearts team.

3 minutes ago, mfc said:

Lamie did develop into a dependable player for us but sondre is a far better player even though he's been poor the last the last 4 games.i don't get the whole play carroll at centre back when there's far better options on the bench.alexander saying we were the better team is just nonsense,we shot ourselves in the foot and handed the game to an average hearts team.

Sorry, again I'm not tying to be obtuse or flippant, in his 13 appearances this season could you remind me of when Sondre was outstanding? I his last 4 appearances (30% of his total appearances) he has been appalling and totally out of his depth. That included an appearance against a championship club

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree 100%. Apart from individuals we need 2 defenders who can play together. Our central defence has been very unsettled. I'd like to see Ojala back in.........if he can keep clear of injuries. A settled defence is vital. 

Ojala has looked the part and I really hope we can get a run of games out of him.we have been unlucky with injuries,every centre half we have has been injured at some point this season.i would be more than happy with any combination of ojala,mugabi and sondre.i don't get why mugabi wasn't involved today,away from home at tynecase in what was a big game in terms of league position was strange,we need our best players on the park,alexander needs to get a settled team on the park and not have 3 and 4 changes everygame.we really need a settle midfield as well,were this far into the season and we still haven't found the right mix.

2 minutes ago, insrebus said:

Sorry, again I'm not tying to be obtuse or flippant, in his 13 appearances this season could you remind me of when Sondre was outstanding? I his last 4 appearances (30% of his total appearances) he has been appalling and totally out of his depth. That included an appearance against a championship club

Up until the break he was excellent,I don't think you'll find many motherwell fans that would disagree with that.i like him but the first to admit he has been poor since the break,our team as a whole have looked miles off it,I know there was a covid outbreak not long before the county game,I'm not sure if that is playing a part but our energy levels look like a team that's just back for pre season.

2 hours ago, insrebus said:

Over the last 12 months since he was removed from left back, or the left hand side of a 3, Lamie has been our best centre half. If only he had a cool social media presence and could start a song through a megaphone

oh and his long raking 40 yard  diagonal  passes that go out for a shy ,,,,,,,,,, are a thing of beauty   

8 minutes ago, mfc said:

Up until the break he was excellent,I don't think you'll find many motherwell fans that would disagree with that.i like him but the first to admit he has been poor since the break,our team as a whole have looked miles off it,I know there was a covid outbreak not long before the county game,I'm not sure if that is playing a part but our energy levels look like a team that's just back for pre season.

I beg to differ, all of the folk I go to the games with fail to understand the cult status he has obtained due to his lack of ability.  A bog standard centre half.  But he can sing twist and Shout, deary me

21 minutes ago, smiddy said:

oh and his long raking 40 yard  diagonal  passes that go out for a shy ,,,,,,,,,, are a thing of beauty   

And his defence splitting 40 yard diagonal pass against Ross County for Tony Watt in September, which ultimately won us a game that we were poor in

6 minutes ago, insrebus said:

I beg to differ, all of the folk I go to the games with fail to understand the cult status he has obtained due to his lack of ability.  A bog standard centre half.  But he can sing twist and Shout, deary me

Cmon I think your being really harsh. His tackling is better than lamie and he is also more mobile. He will like all our players have bad games and he sliced the ball 3 times early doors today and his passing is certainly not as gd as lamie but overall only one winner for me

A big problem I see developed by Alexander now is his loyalty.  He picks same players if we dont get beat game before and he as much said that through week.I know that is a great trait for a manager to have but imo for instance without bevis or ojala we have no aerial threat at set pieces. Carroll was good today but I think ojala or bevis or both would improve team . He doesn't know his best 11 . 

We are a team that has a lot of experienced pros but not a lot of skilful players. All midfield are workhorses and that's it. Van veen and Roberts best of forwards but play for themselves as seen with free kicks today.

We are missing watt big time.

In saying all that still 4th and other than 2 glasgow teams we are more than a match for all but I'm now concerned with our you 6 aspirations due to lack of goals.

Good atmosphere 1st half today but when they scored 2nd it deflated us  and our fans leaving always gets me mad. There's 20 to go and your leaving. I don't get it as I'm sure their checking phone for score till end of game.

2 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Cmon I think your being really harsh. His tackling is better than lamie and he is also more mobile. He will like all our players have bad games and he sliced the ball 3 times early doors today and his passing is certainly not as gd as lamie but overall only one winner for me

GPS stats doesn't back the mobility stat up and you admit that his possession / distribution is poorer than Lamie. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a banger here, but people are replying to my posts accepting that Solholm is poorer than Lamie, but Solholm is great. Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, insrebus said:

GPS stats doesn't back the mobility stat up and you admit that his possession / distribution is poorer than Lamie. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a banger here, but people are replying to my posts accepting that Solholm is poorer than Lamie, but Solholm is great. Bizarre.

Just a normal fan with access to GPS stats joining to talk about Riki Lamie.....

Lamie cost us goals against Livingston and Dundee and then almost let Dundee back in it at Fir Park getting turned twice. He's had a few decent games since then but also a nightmare up at Dens again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Just a normal fan with access to GPS stats joining to talk about Riki Lamie.....

Lamie cost us goals against Livingston and Dundee and then almost let Dundee back in it at Fir Park getting turned twice. He's had a few decent games since then but also a nightmare up at Dens again. 

You can access the GPS stats quite easily and I first posted many years ago.  Interestingly you don't mention any of Solholms errors this season. 

1 minute ago, insrebus said:

OK I'll make it easy .

If we are defending balls into box lamie as gd as sol. Passing long balls lamie better. Any striker running at defenders Sol easily covering his team mates Sol again easily. Lamie done OK but he can only play in 10 yard squares I feel. Now if the game was only in those squares he could match anyone as he is strong and determined but he cannot cover or defend outside those areas as he is too slow.

All just my opinion .  Plus why are you so quick to dismiss his connection with fans? This is what football is all about. Players that get involved with fans imo should get talked up same as grimmy  he gets us as a club and as a town and it winds me up when some on here are dismissive. 

Yes if they are poor we can talk about it but every single player in our team gets it at some stage but the singling out is terrible at times I.e odonnell and mcginley etc.

Some on here ask how odonnell can play like he does for Scotland and not us? Lol. He can pass to mctominay.mcgregor.mcginn gilmour etc for Scotland. Quite simple when you look at it

4 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

All just my opinion .  Plus why are you so quick to dismiss his connection with fans? This is what football is all about. Players that get involved with fans imo should get talked up same as grimmy  he gets us as a club and as a town and it winds me up when some on here are dismissive. 

I'm not dismissive, but it clouds peoples judgement, if SOD picked up the megaphone a week on Saturday how would that look? No doubt he would get more abuse despite the fact that he is incredibly consistent. My main point is that we champion the minimal contribution of a Norwegian journeyman but ignore the significant contribution of home grown players.

• Like 1

It is just nature of the beast with us,  we can go on a great run when we beat dons, hearts and utd before Christmas.....then we go on a honking run and everything is bad again.   My problem with solhelm is his name as I can never remember it,  was calling him sondheim for a while (confused with west side story songwriter),  he has been good but just went off boil a bit not helped with ojala missing.  I don't have any issues with him and the megaphone but I do wish players would acknowledge all 3 of the stands and not just one corner.  Anyway let's beat the buddies and get back on track,  remember folks.....we are still 4th!!),  COYW

• Like 1

1 minute ago, insrebus said:

I'm not dismissive, but it clouds peoples judgement, if SOD picked up the megaphone a week on Saturday how would that look? No doubt he would get more abuse despite the fact that he is incredibly consistent. My main point is that we champion the minimal contribution of a Norwegian journeyman but ignore the significant contribution of home grown players.

Yes I agree a foreign name can carry a bit more clout but and it's a big but we all love our own and if sod had sols personality he too would be loved more.  Most on here have been praising lamie recently before break and rightly so but if someone interacts with crowd like sol does then obviously people will show more love. Yes it clouds judgement regarding football ability but no one on here is CEO of apple so we can let our judgement be clouded if that player shows same love for us as we do for team..

2 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Yes I agree a foreign name can carry a bit more clout but and it's a big but we all love our own and if sod had sols personality he too would be loved more.  Most on here have been praising lamie recently before break and rightly so but if someone interacts with crowd like sol does then obviously people will show more love. Yes it clouds judgement regarding football ability but no one on here is CEO of apple so we can let our judgement be clouded if that player shows same love for us as we do for team..

Fair enough, I'm not from the modern world where popularity and notoriety is crucial. I accept that this might have a bearing on the younger support, ability however, will always prevail.

7 minutes ago, insrebus said:

Fair enough, I'm not from the modern world where popularity and notoriety is crucial. I accept that this might have a bearing on the younger support, ability however, will always prevail.

Yes I'm same and difference of opinion in our team is always hotly debated but hopefully we will always prevail but been going since 85 and it's only happened once.

Good discussion and hopefully Alexander will prove my opinion right at end of season.

There's no doubt in my mind that injuries to crucial parts of the team i.e. central defence have been very disruptive to us this season. Add to that a fair number of new players coming in and we can see the scale of the task facing GA. He has, to his credit, got rid of a fair bit of deadwood in the process. Leaving those issues aside though, we have struggled all season in midfield to get the right blend and since Watt's departure up front as well. He may well have an idea of his strongest team but getting that on the park has proved almost impossible. No doubt there are good reasons for seemingly inexplicable team selections - we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

The one area of the team I can't fathom out is the strikers, and as of 29th January, I'm not sure that GA knows either.   None of the wingers has set the heather on fire, although maybe Woolery has come closest - he needs to find more of an end product. Conor Shields is work in progress but isn't the No9 I was expecting.   Van Veen is very temperamental and inconsistent. In their defence, the midfield hasn't helped. Ross Tierney looks promising but probably hasn't got 90 minutes in him yet, but where do we play him? Watt has been a huge miss, moreso than many of us imagined and I'm not sure we have prepared for his departure; but time will tell. .   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

There's no doubt in my mind that injuries to crucial parts of the team i.e. central defence have been very disruptive to us this season. Add to that a fair number of new players coming in and we can see the scale of the task facing GA. He has, to his credit, got rid of a fair bit of deadwood in the process. Leaving those issues aside though, we have struggled all season in midfield to get the right blend and since Watt's departure up front as well. He may well have an idea of his strongest team but getting that on the park has proved almost impossible. No doubt there are good reasons for seemingly inexplicable team selections - we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

The one area of the team I can't fathom out is the strikers, and as of 29th January, I'm not sure that GA knows either.   None of the wingers has set the heather on fire, although maybe Woolery has come closest - he needs to find more of an end product. Conor Shields is work in progress but isn't the No9 I was expecting.   Van Veen is very temperamental and inconsistent. In their defence, the midfield hasn't helped. Ross Tierney looks promising but probably hasn't got 90 minutes in him yet, but where do we play him? Watt has been a huge miss, moreso than many of us imagined and I'm not sure we have prepared for his departure; but time will tell. .   

In essence what you've outlined is we have challenges in all areas of the team, which is true but we're good enough to be top 6. 

Thankfully we play like a team rather than individuals.  The difference in recent weeks is we've not taken our chances, pre xmas we bagged goals with limited chances, we were ruthless.  

Now we aren't. We're just going through a tough spot but we're not hugely different to when we were riding high.