2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

14 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm happy enough with that,a player that can actually go past the opposition,he's definitely an upgrade on the likes of shields and efford.

Shields beat his man when he set up the goal at Aberdeen. The biggest issue with him, however, is that we have players in the team that want to launch in high balls to him instead of playing it on the deck behind the defence where he can run on to them. He's much faster than most Premiership defenders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Shields beat his man when he set up the goal at Aberdeen. The biggest issue with him, however, is that we have players in the team that want to launch in high balls to him instead of playing it on the deck behind the defence where he can run on to them. He's much faster than most Premiership defenders.

I can’t agree with that. I don’t have them to hand but Shields’ assist and goal stats are very poor. He’s just not good enough for our level.

If we can keep Aarons fit and get some actual service into the middle then KVV will thrive off of it. 

• Confused 1

Shields different player altogether playing through middle thats where he scores goals.In a two with KVV i think that would work.

On the Aarons signing i hope to god we have another forward coming in and not playing a 4-3-3 cause we are not get any goals either side of KVV anytime soon.8 minutes football last season,not injured hardly in a squad about 6 times on the bench doesn't really fill me with shits and giggles.

• Like 1

Just been having a gander at his stats which tells me he mostly plays on the left wing which is puzzling me more about this signing.

So this is his career stats to date 

LW 52 games  8 goals 4 assists 

RW 36 games 2 goals 3 assists 

I love being wrong when it comes to Motherwell I really hope I am with this one.Season loan signing I would have went 6 months maximum.

Aarons is a punt, as is Penny, McKinstry and just about every player we sign, some turn out well others don't but that's how we operate without having wads of cash and blowing the wage structure to sign proven and established players who all cost lots more than we can afford.

As ever I will judge them  on how they perform and not before.

17 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Never saw that coming…….

Change your Moniker to Mr Misery 

I’m just giving my opinion on this signing. 

I’m not a cheerleader and nor am I the/one of the individuals in charge of our social media publications making wee reels about our signings or filtering party hats onto players heads.

I just wasn’t impressed by Aarons when I saw him here before and in the two and a half years since then he has barely played. I don’t see what he will bring to the team.

Hope it works out.  If SH is thinking we need width up each side rather than playing Efford/Shields the shape of the team at least makes sense.  

Don't really remember much about the last time with us, which I can empathise with others equates to feeing meh but openminded and hope this works out.  Having a couple of pacey wingers on each flank to serve up the goods sounds good, as long as they are of the right quality. 

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Hope it works out i think the support are underwhelmed because he's been here already, and is not a new name, can't remember much about his first time here don't think he made much of an impact.

Must have made some sort of impact or we wouldn’t have resigned him.

42 minutes ago, stv said:

Must have made some sort of impact or we wouldn’t have resigned him.

In fairness to him he didn’t really get much of a chance to properly impress the last time as he signed on the January deadline day in 2020 and the season was cut short six or seven weeks later.

The closest he came to impressing me was being thwarted by an incredible one handed save by Fraser Forster in a 0-4 defeat against Celtic.

Like most on here, this isn't a signing that has me jumping for joy. Part of that is likely because he has been at Fir Park before and didn't set the Heather alight. However,  SH will know what he is getting and will know how he will fit into the way that he wants his team to play. So, I'll push the reset and start with a clean slate for him,  wish him all the best in his return to Fir Park and hope that things work out well for him.

• David locked this topic