2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Football ability wise I dont think there is any doubt Griffiths would be worth a punt. However, I fear he has too much baggage to bring with him to fit our "Community Club" image........

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Football ability wise I dont think there is any doubt Griffiths would be worth a punt. However, I fear he has too much baggage to bring with him to fit our "Community Club" image........

Considering we as a club have made a big effort to show support for mental health awareness up to and including bringing out a new strip especially dedicated to helping charities which support it, then giving a chance to a player who has had his own ‘demons’ perhaps should see him fit into our image.

6 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

He was gash for Falkirk last year and is now a year older and hasn't played for half a season, there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's up to playing at the top level again.

Yeah to be honest I’m not saying that we should sign Leigh Griffiths now, more that if there was a situation where he was fit enough to play and available to us then his off-field baggage shouldn’t be a deal breaker to us as a club.

A few seasons ago, the off field baggage was the only reason that Leigh Griffiths might have ended up at a club like ours. Frankly given his performances at Dundee and Falkirk, they're no longer the main reasons you would be like 'No thanks'...

I also see some Well fans on social media suggesting we re-sign Peter Hartley. Assuming those are fans who have forgotten that by the end of his time at Fir Park that his powers were on the wane...?

• Like 1

He is done at any top level Christ if he was that good baggage and all someone much better than us would have signed him.

Honestly if he signed for us that be the straw that broke the camels back for me.

We need to sort out this Moult situation out aswell seems to be lingering about the club like a bad smell.Should have been dealt with by now 

16 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

A few seasons ago, the off field baggage was the only reason that Leigh Griffiths might have ended up at a club like ours. Frankly given his performances at Dundee and Falkirk, they're no longer the main reasons you would be like 'No thanks'...

I also see some Well fans on social media suggesting we re-sign Peter Hartley. Assuming those are fans who have forgotten that by the end of his time at Fir Park that his powers were on the wane...?

Yep...agree totally. When Hartley first signed he was great but near end of his time with us was a liability. What he was though was vocal and we certainly have hee haw of that at the moment 

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Hartley was one thing we don’t have, a leader.

• Like 1

Shouty players being good leaders is an old fashioned trope. We need players that are not shite, and preferably not slow. How they choose to communicate is way down the priority list.

On loan Peter Hartley was excellent, but post injury he was as bad as what we currently have now, and spent a season on the bench before taking it easy in the Indian league. Players that wear their hearts on their sleeves can be endearing to fans, but if we signed a unknown player with all Hartley's attributes and similar career path, this place would meltdown. 

As bad as we've looked at the back, we have been in every single game this season, and I feel that our lack of cutting edge up front is our biggest problem. If we had taken a handful of our chances we wouldn't be as panicky as we are right now.   Having an actual threat up front would make it a lot harder for teams to throw everything at us in the latter stages.  Right now there is no risk to teams leaving themselves more open at the back.

If we don't sign a halfway competent striker, we're screwed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Considering we as a club have made a big effort to show support for mental health awareness up to and including bringing out a new strip especially dedicated to helping charities which support it, then giving a chance to a player who has had his own ‘demons’ perhaps should see him fit into our image.

I take your point. But that wasnt the baggage I was referring to.......

11 hours ago, MJC said:

Is there not an ongoing case re  betting allegations.?.. I doubt anyone is going to touch him whilst that's on the go 

At the beginning of the season I was up for taking a punt on him 

17 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Ipswich expect Penney to return in a couple of weeks. The manager was asked in a press conference today. He's out of contract in the summer so they probably want to get a few quid for him fairly soon.

The guy has done himself no harm with his performances up here,a standout in a pretty miserable team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

The guy has done himself no harm with his performances up here,a standout in a pretty miserable team

I wouldn't go that far. Its not hard to be a standout in the current side. Going back to Weeyin's summing up - a modern full/wing back. Very good on the ball going forward. Poor defensively. Undoubtedly an eyecatching player but there's a reason he can't get a game for Ipswich in the English League One. We've had better; we've had far worse is my view.  It depends on where Hammell's priorities lie I guess - defence or attack.

11 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Shouty players being good leaders is an old fashioned trope. We need players that are not shite, and preferably not slow. How they choose to communicate is way down the priority list.

On loan Peter Hartley was excellent, but post injury he was as bad as what we currently have now, and spent a season on the bench before taking it easy in the Indian league. Players that wear their hearts on their sleeves can be endearing to fans, but if we signed a unknown player with all Hartley's attributes and similar career path, this place would meltdown. 

As bad as we've looked at the back, we have been in every single game this season, and I feel that our lack of cutting edge up front is our biggest problem. If we had taken a handful of our chances we wouldn't be as panicky as we are right now.   Having an actual threat up front would make it a lot harder for teams to throw everything at us in the latter stages.  Right now there is no risk to teams leaving themselves more open at the back.

If we don't sign a halfway competent striker, we're screwed.

I should maybe add I’m not stating we should look at trying to recruit Hartley simply that he was a leader on the park and for a long time organised the defence as needed. We have a lack of communication and that makes a huge difference especially for players that are not the quickest.

We seem to have problems everywhere, if you read all the comments on this forum.

For me the biggest problem is midfield. we don't have players who track back, tackle and support the defence when the other team is on the ball. Or support the front men going forward. The fact that Goss and Slattery are there every week, shows the lack of depth we have in that area. 

Not an easy fix.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 12:28 PM, grizzlyg said:

Turnbull on loan could be a game changer for us but I just can't see it happening. I can see him leaving sellik as he clearly isn't Ange's kind of player.  Surely we have a sell on clause if he left them?

Turnbull not even in the Green uglies squad today, so as you say the manager obviously does not rate him.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic