2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

8 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

You touch on another slightly baffling element of the current regime. When Hammell was appointed, I naively assumed that this would be good news for Cornelius, Maguire and other youngsters that were knocking on the door. It’s been quite the opposite unfortunately.

In the case of Cornelius, it looks to me that Hammell prefers midfielders who are more comfortable at receiving and moving the ball. Which is a shame as we clearly need a tenacious and energetic midfielder to compliment our ‘ballers’ and the one man at the club with those attributes has yet to be regularly played in a midfield role that allows him to develop and maximise his impact.  

They've got to be good enough as well as young and energetic, if Cornelius goes on to an English Championship club , good luck to him , he's becoming better by not playing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Spittal is at least creating stuff, he must be up there for us in terms of assists. Goss hasn't put in a decent cross since God knows when, and can't remember the last time he's had a shot. 

Granted he has a created a few. However, his contribution over 90 minutes, week in week out is minimal.  Last Saturday, for example, he was anonymous. Now thats fine if you're the kind of player who does all the dirty, unseen work like a young Keith Lasley, but he's not. He struggles to get up and down the park. He doesn't support KVV as he should and he's often posted missing in defence. In short, I can't see what he really brings to the team apart from the odd telling cross or pass. Probably a decent sort but not our required level.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

Yep. As I’ve said elsewhere, Hammy’s seemingly blind allegiance to the supposed senior professionals will see us relegated. 

Yep, when Hammy came in it was all about giving youth a chance and he even brought young Spiers on in his first game in charge. Since then we have hardly seen any, I am really hoping he gives Max Johnston a run and I would give Lennon Miller a try even initially 25mins off the bench.

I know folk always say we need experience but it's the experienced lads that have put us in this mess.

Again I know folk will disagree but that's just my opinion.  COYW

• Like 1

I always felt that Spittal was one of those players who seemed to stand out when he played against us but in a 'Well jersey you do tend to forget he is playing at times. He must be apart of what is the slowest midfield I've ever seen at Fir Park. A bit like Ricki Lamie, he enjoyed some great form from January to May 2022 which no doubt fooled Alexander to pounce for his signature. 

34 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I always felt that Spittal was one of those players who seemed to stand out when he played against us but in a 'Well jersey you do tend to forget he is playing at times. He must be apart of what is the slowest midfield I've ever seen at Fir Park. A bit like Ricki Lamie, he enjoyed some great form from January to May 2022 which no doubt fooled Alexander to pounce for his signature. 

Spittal has 3 goals and 4 assists in the league this season, but there is no doubt that he is as slow as a week in the jail and he cannot tackle or put himself into a 50/50. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blair-spittal/leistungsdaten/spieler/251587

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep, when Hammy came in it was all about giving youth a chance and he even brought young Spiers on in his first game in charge. Since then we have hardly seen any, I am really hoping he gives Max Johnston a run and I would give Lennon Miller a try even initially 25mins off the bench.

As we've seen said many times in the past, a relegation battle when the fans are literally always a bawhair away from turning on the team, especially at home, isn't the place to bring in 16 or 17 year old kids. It just isn't.

Hammell probably had every intention of giving some game time to one or two of the youngsters when he got the job but the reality is different when the heat is on to get results,it would be far easier if we were in a more comfortable position to give them some minutes.

13 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

You touch on another slightly baffling element of the current regime. When Hammell was appointed, I naively assumed that this would be good news for Cornelius, Maguire and other youngsters that were knocking on the door. It’s been quite the opposite unfortunately.

In the case of Cornelius, it looks to me that Hammell prefers midfielders who are more comfortable at receiving and moving the ball. Which is a shame as we clearly need a tenacious and energetic midfielder to compliment our ‘ballers’ and the one man at the club with those attributes has yet to be regularly played in a midfield role that allows him to develop and maximise his impact.  

I am sure if there was a standout youngster, they would be in ..they might yet turn out to be good but for  16 and 17 year olds , it's unforgiving at the bottom end of table 

I’ve watched Dean Cornelius since he broke into the first team and I firmly believe he is one of the best prospects we’ve got.  However I don’t think the management team are of that view. They’ve had him into the side on a few occasions but they don’t seem to know what his best position is.

Personally, I believe his best role is in midfield breaking up opposition moves - similar to the way Lennon and Brown did for Celtic.

The other problem is that he needs a run in the team to enable him to settle and establish himself. This playing him in one game, out the next, used as a sub, not used as a sub is counter-productive for a young player. Define his role in the side, show belief and confidence in him and give him a decent run in the team to allow him to develop.

How many people didn’t fancy Alan Campbell for a while? But he got all of the above and developed into a really good young player so much so he’s a mainstay in a team sitting just outside the play-off spots in the English Championship.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I’ve watched Dean Cornelius since he broke into the first team and I firmly believe he is one of the best prospects we’ve got.  However I don’t think the management team are of that view. They’ve had him into the side on a few occasions but they don’t seem to know what his best position is.

Personally, I believe his best role is in midfield breaking up opposition moves - similar to the way Lennon and Brown did for Celtic.

The other problem is that he needs a run in the team to enable him to settle and establish himself. This playing him in one game, out the next, used as a sub, not used as a sub is counter-productive for a young player. Define his role in the side, show belief and confidence in him and give him a decent run in the team to allow him to develop.

How many people didn’t fancy Alan Campbell for a while? But he got all of the above and developed into a really good young player so much so he’s a mainstay in a team sitting just outside the play-off spots in the English Championship.

I don't agree, but I would  be happy to be proven wrong, you might have seen more of the boy than me....as regards Alan Campbell, I don't remember anyone saying they didn't rate him, I think we all could see he was a player with a great engine

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I agree. I would have him start over the likes of Spittal, Goss, Slattery, Maguire, and then build the midfield around him. Otherwise, I fear he'll become a wasted talent at Motherwell. 

46 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I don't agree, but I would  be happy to be proven wrong, you might have seen more of the boy than me....as regards Alan Campbell, I don't remember anyone saying they didn't rate him, I think we all could see he was a player with a great engine

And how do you know Dean hasn’t got a great engine? Point being made is getting him in the team regularly would be a start. Dress it up how you like, Allan Campbell had lengthy dips in form -persevered and tolerated mistakes when they inevitably happened - Dean hasn't really had the same opportunity, so plenty are unsure how good he is or could be.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

And how do you know Dean hasn’t got a great engine? Point being made is getting him in the team regularly would be a start. Dress it up how you like, Allan Campbell had lengthy dips in form -persevered and tolerated mistakes when they inevitably happened - Dean hasn't really had the same opportunity, so plenty are unsure how good he is or could be.

Been saying the same for a while. Needs a run of games. Was same last season when Alexander brought him in for the big games v old firm then next game back on bench. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Out of of all our midfielders I would say dean has the best engine by far,the game at Ibrox earlier this season showed that,where he chased them down at every opportunity.im surprised he hasn't had more of a chance,he definitely offers something different to the usual three that play,he would put himself about and get forward if that's what was asked of him,two things that were badly lacking in our team.im not saying he is the answer to all our problems but persisting with a midfield that are all taking out the game by one pass can't keep happening.

• Like 1

Dean isn't exactly a wet behind the ears straight out of the Academy experiment.

He's been around the first team long enough to know what's required of him and for us to know what he's capable of.

He gives us a bit of energy on the field that some of our other midfielders lack.

It's up to Stevie to decide whether he nurtures that.

i know this is a random question , but dont know if anybody on here knows anybody in david turnbulls circle i was told today again from a reliable smeltic source that we have asked OR he has asked about a loan deal away from them for game time,now dont shoot me down on this as i am just saying what i was told, and this guy is ITK  ??????

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

I didn't say he didn't have an engine, that is probably one thing he does have, just don't see other attributes like clever passes or a  goal threat ....but maybe he should get a run , to prove one way or the other 

Whatever we like to think Steven hammel is best placed to judge a player than any of us on here

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

It would be nice, but I would imagine Turnbull would have some higher level loan options if that was what he wanted. 

There's always the chance that he may not fancy uprooting and heading down south or whatever. We can always live in hope.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David said:

There's always the chance that he may not fancy uprooting and heading down south or whatever. We can always live in hope.

Apparently that was the reasoning for staying in Scotland with Celtic originally. I don't think it would do any harm to ask the question but I think we would be more likely to get someone that rarely features such as Welsh or Montgomery (obv away to St Johnstone). 

It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

33 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Apparently that was the reasoning for staying in Scotland with Celtic originally. I don't think it would do any harm to ask the question but I think we would be more likely to get someone that rarely features such as Welsh or Montgomery (obv away to St Johnstone). 

Yup, if we don't ask we will never know

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

i know this is a random question , but dont know if anybody on here knows anybody in david turnbulls circle i was told today again from a reliable smeltic source that we have asked OR he has asked about a loan deal away from them for game time,now dont shoot me down on this as i am just saying what i was told, and this guy is ITK  ??????

Now that would be fantastic. 

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

I am trying to work out who has the initials ITK.........wait a minute!!! Lol

3 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

I don’t think Dean has showed any level of ability similar to Allan Campbell. As soon as Allan Campbell came into the team he had something special about him and 100x the player as well I don’t recall him having lengthy dips in form. That doesn’t mean I think Dean is a bad player I think he’s a good rotation player and at the moment I’d have him in the team over others, sitting just in front of the defence as someone else has mentioned. I do disagree that someone else said about him not having an engine that’s probably his best asset is how hard he works but if he had that extra dig he’d be much better, not technically the greatest but given a run of games he could do something but for me he’s another Carswell/ Hetherington but hope to be proven wrong as he’s one of us.

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

I’d happily take Welsh right now until the end of the season.

• David locked this topic