2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

36 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Gallagher - great first season but head turned when Aberdeen came calling, ability never questioned but mentality was

I’d say it was more when he became involved with the international team that his head turned, no doubt with his agent in his ear telling him he was too good for us now that he was getting picked for Scotland.

2 hours ago, David said:

Two points/questions then we can either revisit the Alexander thread or leave it be:

I've seen a few people claim that he left his job. But I've also seen it claimed that he's still being paid by the club to sit home and do nothing, and that this is the case until either his contract term is complete or he gets a new job. If this is the case then he almost certainly didn't leave the position of his own accord, as he would most likely be due nothing if he quit. That's why we see managers up and down the country hanging onto their jobs when they're well past their welcome. They want sacked because then they get a payoff that they wouldn't get if they quit.

So, which is it? Does anyone actually know?

Finally, I've said it numerous times already on this forum. The time to sack him or for him to leave was the end of the previous season. If the club weren't interested in that option then we should have run with him until about November and seen if he could turn it around. Like most other clubs would have. If we're still not happy, we remove him and bring in someone else just ahead of the January window. Parting company with him literally days before the new season kicked off was an absolute shambles of the highest order, and is at least partly responsible for the position we find ourselves in now.

And for the record, that entire pre-season was a total farce. We were having work done to our pitch which curtailed our ability to schedule home friendlies, and apparently a number of the friendly games we had scheduled to play away from home were cancelled quite late on. I don't know who's fault that was, but I doubt it was the job of the manager to be on the phones arranging pre-season friendlies. 

We went into our European games with two friendlies under our belt. Two. Nowhere near enough to be able to compete with a team that was, at that time, five months deep into their season. Yes, it's League of Ireland but the gulf in class between us and them isn't so great as to allow us to come in cold pre-season with two kick-abouts under our belt.

And I actually disagree with your final point. I think if Alexander had been kept on we'd be in a better position than we are now. He's a more experienced operator than Hammell, and while he did sign Morris, he also signed Spittal and McGinn, and was part of the process that saw Van Veen sign a new deal, so there was positive moves made in that summer. 

Of course the football would still be eye-bleeding stuff to watch and no doubt how he dressed and his "arrogance" would still be annoying to certain people, but I'd be far more confident of us avoiding the drop with someone like Alexander at the helm than Hammell. Just my own personal opinion, mind.

Again a commendable effort to absolve Alexander from much of what went wrong regards Sligo combined with a brushing over of the previous six months performances on the pitch. And not only the results.

Could it just be that that Board had their season end review meeting and decided to stick with Alexander in the hope of improvement and in recognition of our final league position. Loyalty if you like. As you suggest, that was a reasonable course of action, although unpopular with some....including me. 

Then, following Sligo, the earlier doubts were not only confirmed but added to. A mistake had been made and it was a bigger risk to leave him in charge rather than effect a change of Manager. So panic driven by the fans? No.

As you say, we will likely never know the exact story. But no matter whether he was pushed or jumped of his own accord, his time was up even if the timing was far from ideal. 

The appointment of Hammell is a separate issue and only time will tell if a more experienced appointment should have been made. I can see why many think that would have a safer option.  But, in my personal opinion, to continue with Alexander on the road we were heading would have been a much greater risk. I firmly believe had Alexander remained after Sligo, he would have been gone by now.

On a more general note, and in defence of Robinson, Alexander and Hammell, the position we have found ourselves in should be no real surprise. Season upon season we have downgraded the quality of squad due to lack of finances. That is not the Manager's fault. Just look back over the years and make a comparison. You can only work with the tools you are given.

Eventually that downgrade bites you in the backside and we end up in the situation we currently find ourselves in. So to a degree all of our recent Managers have been a victim of circumstances outwith their control. Whether the Board could have managed things better is open for debate. As a fan owned club, with no access to Bank Loans, no cash rich Benefactor to fund rescue acts and with a Membership contributing only (no offence intended) around £30/£40k? per month how on earth can we bring in quality players to improve our lot? Perhaps those screaming for up to 5 more additions this window have a solution?

Transfer income has helped in the past, but with the reduction in saleable assets (either from transfers in or youth development) that becomes less and less of an option. Looking to income via youth development, CoVid was a disaster added to which most young talent we unearth is seduced by the Old Firm or cash rich English clubs. Bailey Rice as a recent example but there are many more. So the possibility of cashing in on the likes of a new Turnbull, Scott or even Hastie are much reduced. Just imagine.....£350k for Turnbull as opposed to £3m. Reduced income that tides us over rather than enough money to fund investment. 

Someone earlier talked about the Club finding its true level given all the circumstances and that sadly that might not be in the Premiership for a few seasons. That is a depressing thought but I wonder if that would not already be the case were quite a few Clubs not in a similar position. Just that they are not yet as depleted as Motherwell are. Examples - St Johnstone appear to be on a similar downward spiral, only a matter of two years after cup successes. Top players all sold on and a squad nowhere near the quality they used to have. Much the same could be said of Kilmarnock and Ross County, although benefactors have come to their rescue. I heard recently that will not be the case at County for much longer. Not all the McGregor family are as committed as the father. It can only be a matter of time before Livi and St Mirren go into similar decline.

The Board Statement at the AGM regarding the need for investment was no surprise. Once the euphoria of being a fan owned club has started to wear off it sounds like reality has kicked in.

But if we do stay up (hopefully) with or without Hammell, then what happens after that? Whilst remaining in the Premiership, how do we construct a team any better than we now have? I for one fear more of the same, year on year.

Just now, grizzlyg said:

If we have got decent money for Sol it's good business, was on 3 ye deal so hopefully good fee. Nice guy but last few games showed how poor he is.

If we don't have centre half lined up we are in deep you know what

Agreed. Thanks for the megaphones, sorry, memories Sol eh?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If we have got decent money for Sol it's good business, was on 3 ye deal so hopefully good fee. Nice guy but last few games showed how poor he is.

If we don't have centre half lined up we are in deep you know what

We are already in the deep you know what - previously we had people masquerading

we need

centre halves 1 maybe 2 

left back

holding /battling midfield x2 

striker 

Appreciate still time but I’ve not heard any noise from the club at any point that gives me confidence that these glaring gaps will be solved 

says it all when we look at stmirren with envy - poor show 

9 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

We are already in the deep you know what - previously we had people masquerading

we need

centre halves 1 maybe 2 

left back

holding /battling midfield x2 

striker 

Appreciate still time but I’ve not heard any noise from the club at any point that gives me confidence that these glaring gaps will be solved 

says it all when we look at stmirren with envy - poor show 

My thoughts exactly. With Penny and Sol gone, I think we need a left back, centre half and battling midfielder by the end of the night or we're in big trouble! You can add a striker to that as well if Mandron is out for any length of time.

8 minutes ago, smiddy said:

ffs lads any chance we can put the alexander novals written above to bed , and not darken our door with his shite name again      heez not here anymore and we are  still arguing about him    lets just feckin bin it 😡

Hear hear smiddy, glad it's not just me thinking that. Old news

• Like 1

theres a parks of hamilton bus just pulled up outside firpark  full of guys in differant coloured track suits and stevie hammil and brian kerr have just jumped on askin if "  can anybody on here play LB, CH, and CF,   oh and big staunch lafferty is the bus driver,     go on stevie  ask him :) :) :)             would you take him mr yodo ????

4 minutes ago, smiddy said:

theres a parks of hamilton bus just pulled up outside firpark  full of guys in differant coloured track suits and stevie hammil and brian kerr have just jumped on askin if "  can anybody on here play LB, CH, and CF,   oh and big staunch lafferty is the bus driver,     go on stevie  ask him :) :) :)             would you take him mr yodo ????

Yes as long as the season disnae run intae July 

4 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Solohom out for a fee rumoured to be between 200-300 euro is good business from the club and shields shipped out on loan is good we need 2xcb a Lb a Dm and a forward in the next 6 hours its not looking good.

Won a watch there was poor

5 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Solohom out for a fee rumoured to be between 200-300 euro is good business from the club and shields shipped out on loan is good we need 2xcb a Lb a Dm and a forward in the next 6 hours its not looking good.

Hope you forgot to add the word thousand after 300

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I am calling it now last chicken at Sainsbury's signing Kyle Lafferty I can just see where this transfer window is heading.

A year or so ago I would have taken Kyle Lafferty in a heartbeat but not now. He’s barely played at Killie this season plus he’s 35 years old and by all accounts a bit of a helmet of a guy. I wouldn’t imagine he’s on our radar anyway.

• David locked this topic