2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Well thats the last peice of the jigsaw puzzle in place.

You may not rate Hammy.

You may think the board are shite.

You may think that these players are still shite and we are doomed to relegation anyway.

But you can no longer say Hammy didnt know what the problems were or the board havent backed him in addressing them.

Now we need to see a reaction.

Lets do our bit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Well thats the last peice of the kigsaw puzzle in place.

You may not rate Hammy.

You may think that these players are still shite and we are doomed to relegation anyway.

But you can no longer say Hammy didnt know what the problems were or the board havent backed him in addressing them.

Lets do our bit.

SH has been a pro for upteen years so there would have been no doubt he knew what the prob positions were

it was addressing them that was the problem, hopefully we can come up with enough to beat the sheep , but as been said before a draw with a good display with a bit of " togetherness on the pitch " would be a start, good amount of games left for points, we just need to make sure we dont get cut adrift

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, El Grew said:

He averaged 8 Yellow Cards per season.  In the SPL this would be about 1 every 5 games.

Based on the actual games played in each season, he actually averaged more than 1 in 3.

28 minutes ago, smiddy said:

good amount of games left for points, we just need to make sure we dont get cut adrift

Ah, the old "fifteen easy points there for the taking after the split" theory. Let's just hope we're not sixteen points adrift by then 😉

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Well thats the last peice of the jigsaw puzzle in place.

You may not rate Hammy.

Lets do our bit.

Just this, nailed it.

13 minutes ago, wellfan said:

His contract expires in May 2023 so the club should be doing everything possible to offer him an extension and encourage him to sign it. Early indications point to him becoming one of our best ever homegrown RB/RWB. 

He will need to know what league we will be in, but we need to make an offer to protect ourselves

20 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It beggars belief that he had been on bench the previous games. Looks a great talent that will only improve.  Always looking to put crosses in and with great delivery 

There are hundreds of talented kids who get ruined, or at least set back, by playing them too often and too soon.

There are a few exceptions of course, but it's an art to get the balance between game time and development. Not to mention the stick they take from some fans when they have 2 or 3 poor games in a row.

I sometimes wonder if fans think our management teams heads button up the back. Do you not think that Hammell etc knew Johnston is a good player? Who was it that sanctioned his early return to the club last month? He's been involved in eight games since he returned, starting five and coming off the bench in three.

As has been mentioned, you don't just chuck young players in there and have them play every single game. Johnston has had plenty of game time since his return.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Off on a tangent there.

Some who have seen both in development teams are just of the opinion that showing belief where the player could make mistakes and learn in the first team environment have been missed. That’s been to Aberdeen’s gain thus far.

I could understand that line of thinking if he sees more bench time than starts in the coming weeks and months. I wasn't meaning you in my reply by the way, as it was others who were saying it beggars belief that Johnston has been benched a few times.

I think starting five out of eight since his return isn't too bad in all honesty, and will hopefully increase as the season progresses. He's only turned 19 I think, and I'm sure the coaching staff will be keeping a close eye on him to ensure that he's given the correct amount of game time and isn't "overplayed" to any extent.

On the contract front we should absolutely be doing all we can to get him tied down on a deal that reflects his position as the future in his position.

• Like 1

Sorry but a 19 year old should be playing if any good to aid development he's not 16 i can see the argument for a 16 year old to be getting limited time but if your not breaking onto the first team by 19 its time to be looking elsewhere. We have been far to slow in progressing our top talent D Turnbull was a prime example of that he should have been starting at least a year before he was and was only introduced because Robinson was in the shit abs the team was bombing Turnbull turned it around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

I could understand that line of thinking if he sees more bench time than starts in the coming weeks and months. I wasn't meaning you in my reply by the way, as it was others who were saying it beggars belief that Johnston has been benched a few times.

I think starting five out of eight since his return isn't too bad in all honesty, and will hopefully increase as the season progresses. He's only turned 19 I think, and I'm sure the coaching staff will be keeping a close eye on him to ensure that he's given the correct amount of game time and isn't "overplayed" to any extent.

On the contract front we should absolutely be doing all we can to get him tied down on a deal that reflects his position as the future in his position.

Beggars belief aimed at me then? 

I was only giving an opinion same as yourself David . I am fully aware Hammell recalled him and had started games. My main gripe was the recent games where he was sub despite playing well.

For me he is first choice right back. If people want to disagree then fair do's, all about opinions

19 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Sorry but a 19 year old should be playing if any good to aid development he's not 16 i can see the argument for a 16 year old to be getting limited time but if your not breaking onto the first team by 19 its time to be looking elsewhere. We have been far to slow in progressing our top talent D Turnbull was a prime example of that he should have been starting at least a year before he was and was only introduced because Robinson was in the shit abs the team was bombing Turnbull turned it around.

He is playing. I just pointed out that he's started five of a possible eight games, and has played a role in every game since his return. I could understand the concern if we'd brought him back and he'd sat on the bench as an unused substitute, or had played ten minutes here or there for the majority of those games but that's not the case.

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Beggars belief aimed at me then? 

I was only giving an opinion same as yourself David . I am fully aware Hammell recalled him and had started games. My main gripe was the recent games where he was sub despite playing well.

For me he is first choice right back. If people want to disagree then fair do's, all about opinions

We've played four games in two weeks. He's started two of them. And in the two he was a substitute he came on after 27 minutes and 45 minutes. It's not about how well he's been playing, it's about game time management. It happens at lots of clubs, and especially with younger players where the impetus is in bringing them on but not burning them out. 

I guarantee that if he keeps performing as he is we'll see him start more and more games as the season goes on.

Just now, David said:

He is playing. I just pointed out that he's started five of a possible eight games, and has played a role in every game since his return. I could understand the concern if we'd brought him back and he'd sat on the bench as an unused substitute, or had played ten minutes here or there for the majority of those games but that's not the case.

We've played four games in two weeks. He's started two of them. And in the two he was a substitute he came on after 27 minutes and 45 minutes. It's not about how well he's been playing, it's about game time management. It happens at lots of clubs, and especially with younger players where the impetus is in bringing them on but not burning them out. 

I guarantee that if he keeps performing as he is we'll see him start more and more games as the season goes on.

Fair do's pal.  Let's hope we get him to sign a new contract 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic