Kevin Van Veen

Toxteth O'Grady

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

12 months ago Burrows was telling anyone who would listen we were going with a smaller, higher quality squad......

Alot of the way the club has been run over the last 12-18 months has been amateur hour stuff but hopefully we can now put that down to experience and move on.

From retaining Alexander following his shit show of a 2nd half of 21/22, allowing him to do next to nothing in last summers transfer window then parting company with him after the Sligo episode and to then replace him with an untested youth academy coach on the eve of the season was absolute madness, in hindsight of course. But then you add in allowing the signings of two well known injury prone ex and players as our ‘big’ signings then it makes it all the worse.

I don’t know why Alan Burrows left and I don’t need to know either, but his last year at the club certainly wasn’t his finest and it’s probably better for all parties that he has now moved on to pastures new.

the guy deserves a big move it could be his last so fair fucks to him       but we as a club deserve some poppy in return for putting him on the telly probably 6 times a season when i dont think he wouldv been on before playing for his previous dross, anyway fee ??? i probs think some on here are still sniffing glue if you think were getting plenty for him, in my opinion £200k would be a reasonable fee, he gets to go and quadruple his wages , we get a wedge, heez kept us up, we dont stand in his way,    thats how our nice wee club works and that model intices our next project who will get the same media attention,       only my opinion, but i think its fair, 

6 minutes ago, smiddy said:

the guy deserves a big move it could be his last so fair fucks to him       but we as a club deserve some poppy in return for putting him on the telly probably 6 times a season when i dont think he wouldv been on before playing for his previous dross, anyway fee ??? i probs think some on here are still sniffing glue if you think were getting plenty for him, in my opinion £200k would be a reasonable fee, he gets to go and quadruple his wages , we get a wedge, heez kept us up, we dont stand in his way,    thats how our nice wee club works and that model intices our next project who will get the same media attention,       only my opinion, but i think its fair, 

200k and be no point in selling him it be worth it keeping him and his goals getting into the top 6  earning more money for the for final league position.

200k if he left for that it be worst bit of business witnessed for a 20 plus striker.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

KVV will end up at Aberdeen no doubt 

That’s my worry too, with Burrows obviously knowing him and having dealt with him to get him here in 2021. 

I’d prefer he left Scottish football altogether than see him join an Aberdeen, Dundee Utd or Hibs.

9 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

200k and be no point in selling him it be worth it keeping him and his goals getting into the top 6  earning more money for the for final league position.

200k if he left for that it be worst bit of business witnessed for a 20 plus striker.

Personally I think 200k is probably very close. We are certainly not going to get close to half a million.

59 minutes ago, MJC said:

Aye to expect upwards of £500k for a player who will be 32 in the summer and who only has a year left on his contract is fantasy stuff. 

Maybe, for a club of our status. Had he shown the exact same level of form with say Dundee United, Hibs or Aberdeen that would be a different matter entirely. 

11 hours ago, smiddy said:

£200K is far too little for a player who has scored 24 goals this season with five games left and one year left on their contract. His potential goals next season would be worth more to us than £200K. We need to stop selling ourselves short. As Kmcalpin notes above, if KVV were currently at Dundee Utd/Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs, and regardless of him being nearly 32, I think he would be priced at at least £500K.

1 hour ago, Thunderlips said:

Maybe Wrexham will fling loads of cash our way for him.

If he goes, this would be the ideal scenario.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Hopefully our new CEO knows the true value of players

I hope so, with a couple of exceptions we have been brutal over the years at getting the best value for any players we have developed and / or brought in and moved on for a profit

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Maybe, for a club of our status. Had he shown the exact same level of form with say Dundee United, Hibs or Aberdeen that would be a different matter entirely. 

You’re right it probably would. The difference with those three clubs is that if he was playing for them he would be on a fair bit more money and so they would be in a better position to demand more money for him in a transfer fee if any potential buyer came in for him.

Obviously he would also be getting a lot more media attention if he was playing for and scoring over 20 goals a season at one of the Scottish press’ darling clubs like Aberdeen or Dundee Utd so that’s another advantage they would have over us in that regard.

Don’t know what is in his original contract with us but from his side a year or two of a really good salary would be better option than staying.  From our side keeping him would be great. Not sure if there is an agreed amount that we allow for him to move on?  I’d rather keep him for another year unless it’s ridiculous money offered. 

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Personally I think 200k is probably very close. We are certainly not going to get close to half a million.

Then unless he's really pushing for a move this summer we should probably keep him and let him leave for nothing the following summer. He'd likely get a bigger contract if he does the business for another year and his next club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee for him.

By my reckoning £200,000 is not far off the difference in prize money for finishing 7th rather than 8th. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest his goals this season have made the difference between us finishing in 10th or even 11th and potentially 7th, which is a prize money difference of around half a million quid.

Basically, his goals alone could be worth anywhere up to half a million next season to us again. So why punt him for less than half that and gamble on the next striker in the door coming close to replicating his form?

8 hours ago, David said:

Then unless he's really pushing for a move this summer we should probably keep him and let him leave for nothing the following summer. He'd likely get a bigger contract if he does the business for another year and his next club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee for him.

By my reckoning £200,000 is not far off the difference in prize money for finishing 7th rather than 8th. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest his goals this season have made the difference between us finishing in 10th or even 11th and potentially 7th, which is a prize money difference of around half a million quid.

Basically, his goals alone could be worth anywhere up to half a million next season to us again. So why punt him for less than half that and gamble on the next striker in the door coming close to replicating his form?

My guess is he will push for a move given he’s 32 now and in the form of his life. If he stays and his form drops or he gets a serious injury next season he may have missed the boat. Don’t get me wrong I would rather he stays but I would not blame him for cashing in just now while he’s on the up.

His form will almost certainly drop next season, so probably good for both parties to cash in soon.

I think Higdon is the only on-form striker to have a semi-decent strike rate (14) the season after he left us. The others like Sutton, Moult and Watt have all struggled for various reasons.

(I'd be delighted if he stayed, of course, but his recent interviews sound like they are laying the groundwork for moving on).

The thing is, while I'm obviously happy that Van Veen could go on and earn a good wedge in his last big contract, my main priority is with the club, and seeing us get a fee for him that makes sense. If we're talking £200,000 then its not worth selling. Simple as that.

It would need to be around £500,000 for it to make financial sense for the club I think.

17 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, while I'm obviously happy that Van Veen could go on and earn a good wedge in his last big contract, my main priority is with the club, and seeing us get a fee for him that makes sense. If we're talking £200,000 then its not worth selling. Simple as that.

It would need to be around £500,000 for it to make financial sense for the club I think.

Exactly. Its vital and only right that the club treats its employees with respect and looks after them. There's been a modest but noticeable tendency in recent years for some fans to side slightly more with the player than the club when push comes to shove.  But, the club must also look after itself.

52 minutes ago, David said:

He'll just go in the huff and down tools until we let him leave.

Burrows in his wisdom decided to let Tony Watt go to a rival for a pittance. The precedent is set and that short term thinking will cost us every time a player hits form in the future. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Burrows in his wisdom decided to let Tony Watt go to a rival for a pittance. The precedent is set and that short term thinking will cost us every time a player hits form in the future. 

Regardless of the fee, we shouldn’t sell him to anyone in the SPFL. I know the club somewhat promote themselves as a springboard to better things but they should be clear that if it’s a transfer before the end of contract it’s not to a rival team. They can sympathetic to a move elsewhere but not to any rivals. 

55 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Getting cash for someone that had signed a pre-contract and was going to leave  for free in a few months, and that player going on to score a total of 1 goal that season, sounds like good business to me.

You sound bitter because your CEO application was rejected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

That’s exactly what he would do imo. I’m a big fan of KvV but he has a huffy streak about him and if we reject an offer for him then the toys will be launched out of the pram.

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

That’s exactly what he would do imo. I’m a big fan of KvV but he has a huffy streak about him and if we reject an offer for him then the toys will be launched out of the pram.

We did reject an offer for him and he hasn't.

• Thanks 1