Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Not a great performance today, but on balance we probably deserved the points (just). Nick Walsh's guessing game performance combined with Livi's determination to avoid playing football dragged the game down to somewhere about meh! The Livi defender completely obscured my view of the penalty decision but it did seem a bit harsh. Likewise, the two yellow cards probably merited one between them. I think Livi might be a bit peeved to say the least.

That said, Livi offered pretty much nothing so stuff them. :D

Before the game I was worried about Sol, but along with the rest of the defence, didn't give Livi a sniff of a goal. Considering how they tend to thrive off route one, brute force and  second balls that was the most pleasing aspect for me.

That was the first clean sheet in a long time that actually felt deserved. Usually we rely on a save or two, and usually the opposition failing to take a chance, but other than the snap shot from Goncalves late on, they had nothing.

We did a great job of not conceding silly fouls in our third, and we handled their physicality like it wasn't a thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Likewise, the two yellow cards probably merited one between them. 

I've got a feeling that the refs have been told to crack down on deliberate fouls this year. Quite a few games have been unwatchable recently because teams foul almost every time they lose their shape. It makes for a better product if the game flows and we see some attacking football with ball in play rather than endless free kicks. St Johnstone are by far the worst for it but we were pretty bad under GA and Celtic are incredibly cynical if you look at the high number of fouls they commit despite having 80% possession most games. 

Lundstrum got sent off today for the same tackle Callum Lang saw red for at Dingwall. It was the correct decision but it needs to be 100% consistent. 

• Like 1

Certainly a good 3 points to get. Didn’t play as well as last week but as mentioned in other posts we done a great job limiting Livi  to really no clear cut chances. Thought our midfield didn’t show for the ball as much as last week and so the football on display not as good as last week. Not entirely unexpected. For 11 men against 10 I thought we could have done a better job of seeing the game out making it a bit easier on the nerves. Effords put in some good work when he came on so seems like Hammy is getting more out of him. All in all a good days work. 

Just back in from the game in all honesty it was dreadful,  Livi had no intention of going forward from the 1st whistle,  we had lots of the ball but we are feckin toothless up front we carry no threat at all. That said we got into good positions on a few occasions and probably just shaded the game so a deserved win.

We can't rely on dubious penalties to win games we need to sign a goalscorer ASAP , the sending off forced Livi To come out more and we are terrible at seeing  games out we defend too deep and let them get into areas of the park they should be nowhere near that late in a game.

We are moving in the right direction but we need to create and take more chances up front to keep the momentum going , which for me will  be difficult with the current players as I said we need a goalscorer to back up KVV.

So a dreadful game football wise but a fantastic result, another 3 points and 3rd place in hhe league, so has to be a good day at the office onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Not a great performance today, but on balance we probably deserved the points (just). Nick Walsh's guessing game performance combined with Livi's determination to avoid playing football dragged the game down to somewhere about meh! The Livi defender completely obscured my view of the penalty decision but it did seem a bit harsh. Likewise, the two yellow cards probably merited one between them. I think Livi might be a bit peeved to say the least.

That said, Livi offered pretty much nothing so stuff them. :D

Thought the ref had a very poor game. Since we won it’s not sour grapes

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I've got a feeling that the refs have been told to crack down on deliberate fouls this year. Quite a few games have been unwatchable recently because teams foul almost every time they lose their shape. It makes for a better product if the game flows and we see some attacking football with ball in play rather than endless free kicks. St Johnstone are by far the worst for it but we were pretty bad under GA and Celtic are incredibly cynical if you look at the high number of fouls they commit despite having 80% possession most games. 

Lundstrum got sent off today for the same tackle Callum Lang saw red for at Dingwall. It was the correct decision but it needs to be 100% consistent. 

I agree, for the first yellow that could be the case, the second yellow, I thought, was just a bit mistimed and probably only warranted a quiet word.

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Thought the ref had a very poor game. Since we won it’s not sour grapes

Yes, just a typical Scottish refereeing performance in fact.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Good three points but 3or 4 quality players still needed as first picks 

Well surely you know that's not happening what do you mean by quality?. Done well today against a stuffy Livingston, tried to play football without much penetration but 3 points and we move on

16 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Well surely you know that's not happening what do you mean by quality?. Done well today against a stuffy Livingston, tried to play football without much penetration but 3 points and we move on

Scott Burns was reporting this week we have the budget to make Snodgrass an offer plus bring in another 3 or 4. 

By quality I'd say KVV, Watt, Cole, Goss, Lang, McGinn, SOD, Kelly. It's impossible for us to sign decent players. 

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

Hard t gauge that performance tday,we've won ugly n it was always going t b like that against livi.,3 points will do us nicely

We did win ugly I thought we were poor from the  half way line forward. Defensively we were sound first game in a long time we never gave the opposition gilt edges chances. A very welcome 3 points and I'm sure SH is well aware of the shortcomings and will work on them. 

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Let's be honest the match was a complete snoozefest, I don't think either goalkeeper actually had a save to make out with the penalty.

Still it was important we took points from the easier fixtures at the start of the season..

However, we may have changed manager, formation and style but our lack of creativity in open play is still there for all too see.

Agreed.  Some are saying we need another striker (and maybe we do) but if we aren’t creating chances it won’t matter how many strikers we have.  I felt for KVV today as he again battled manfully up front on nothing but scraps.

A good 3pts. Not a great performance but Livi turn games into a shitfest and even the top two have had their fair struggles against them in recent years. We limited them to nothing and found a way to win despite our attacking limitations. An improvement if you ask me so on to the next one hopefully with a few additions on board.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Just back in from the game in all honesty it was dreadful,  Livi had no intention of going forward from the 1st whistle,  we had lots of the ball but we are feckin toothless up front we carry no threat at all. That said we got into good positions on a few occasions and probably just shaded the game so a deserved win.

We can't rely on dubious penalties to win games we need to sign a goalscorer ASAP , the sending off forced Livi To come out more and we are terrible at seeing  games out we defend too deep and let them get into areas of the park they should be nowhere near that late in a game.

We are moving in the right direction but we need to create and take more chances up front to keep the momentum going , which for me will  be difficult with the current players as I said we need a goalscorer to back up KVV.

So a dreadful game football wise but a fantastic result, another 3 points and 3rd place in hhe league, so has to be a good day at the office onwards and upwards.

Good post Spider.  I thought out of the midfield that started the game young Cornelius was unfortunate to be subbed as he was the only one that got forward in the first half.  Lamie’s passing was lamentable but in his defence he was having to be play-maker much of the time as Goss and Slattery went missing.

• Thanks 1