SLCup Motherwell v Inverness CT 31/08/22

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

formation favours our stronger/better players and shields for me has had plenty chances to be a foil to Van veen

Wee bit unfair on Shields. Since he arrived he’s been asked to play out wide but he’s really a centre-forward.  Maybe we should play two up and try pairing him through the middle with Van Veen.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 2:27 AM, El Grew said:

Why?  There’s only 2 competitions we’ve a serious chance of doing well in and maybe make some money along the way, so why start f*cking  about with the team selection?  Stevie Hammell must identify his best/ strongest 11 and play them.

Exactly!!

Apparently Jack Ross has just been sacked, hopefully that doesn't bode well for Dundee United on Saturday.

Anyway first things first looking forward to the game tomorrow night under the lights, it would be nice to go on a cup run. Since getting to the final in 2017 we have had some frustrating exits from this competition being knocked out at this stage by a struggling Hearts and Dundee side who both ended up relegated, not to mention gift wrapping a St Johnstone win who would go on to actually win the cup.

I'm not really familiar with much of Inverness players these days, I recognise a few former Accies forwards, the goalie and Billy McKay. I would love to see us register a comfortable win but I guess as long as we are in the hat for the next round then that's all that matters. It'll be a interesting few days with comings and goings as well.

31 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Apparently Jack Ross has just been sacked, hopefully that doesn't bode well for Dundee United on Saturday.

Not on topic but that worries me , I would rather have played them with him in charge as I reckon the team were not playing for him, but hopefully we can keep their misery going.

34 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Ross sacked after 5 or 6 games? I appreciate they have been shite and got absolutely scudded by Celtic but that’s mental imo. 

The correlation between American owners and high turnover of managers is strong. Same goings-on at Hibs in recent times.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Ross sacked after 5 or 6 games? I appreciate they have been shite and got absolutely scudded by Celtic but that’s mental imo. 

One embarrassing humping like that would certainly put his coat on the shoogly peg but two in a fortnight? Think he had to go.

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Seems like it. But if you add in 12 months of failure at Hibs prior to that then it makes it less of a shock. Hibs fans I know had been calling for his sacking for months and were delighted to see him go. The shambles of their Scottish cup final defeat by Saint Johnstone, following on from a semi final thrashing by the same team, and their League form certainly contradicted the hype that was built round Ross . It was only his media mates that were up in arms and calling foul when he was sacked.

He did well at Alloa followed by St Mirren and earned his step up. But he has now underperformed at three bigger clubs and failed to deliver despite substantial financial backing. I wonder how much in total he has invested across Sunderland, Hibs and United with no return?  But I do accept American owners are more likely to act quickly. Does not mean they were wrong in this case though.

Looking at the United squad, their are a good few that I would have been delighted to see at Motherwell. McGrath, Levitt and Middleton as examples. They would walk into our first team.

Buying a ticket for tonight's game (first game this season) . I gave up my season ticket this year and when on the site it asks for login details. I can log in fine with the seasons ticket details i had, and a bought ticket would previously have been added onto my season card. Now that I'm a PAYG customer should i be creating a new login? Ideally i would want to print off the ticket or have it on my phone etc?

Play our strongest team, history shows that shocks happen and this game will be far from a given. Difficult because under the previous manager outrage would ensure after a loss, given who the manager is now that will be more problematic.

Inverness have traditionally made it difficult for us at Fir Park in Cup ties. 

Barry Wilson lobbing Gordon Marshall from about 40 yards inside the first ten minutes and them sitting in with us huffing and puffing but never really looking like get back into it still gives me nightmares.

In fact I’m sure the two times we have beaten them in Cup ties at home have been on penalties after a 2-2 draw in ‘97 and 3-2 AET under Jim Gannon.

(and yes, I am fully aware that that won’t have a bearing on what happens tonight)

1 hour ago, parko66 said:

Buying a ticket for tonight's game (first game this season) . I gave up my season ticket this year and when on the site it asks for login details. I can log in fine with the seasons ticket details i had, and a bought ticket would previously have been added onto my season card. Now that I'm a PAYG customer should i be creating a new login? Ideally i would want to print off the ticket or have it on my phone etc?

As long as you can log in you should  be ok, If your not an ST holder then when you buy the ticket you should get the option to collect from Fir Park or have it emailed to you to print at home and/or store on your phone.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Is game on Motherwell tv? I had a quick look there and it doesn’t look like it. Didn’t see mention of it. :mellow:

We don't usually get League Cup games. The exception seems to be if we are chosen as a live game for telly, then we can use their feed.

• Thanks 1