Motherwell v Rangers 16/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

The 2nd goal we gave away was a shocker, waltzed past 5 players and not one of them thought about putting a tackle in, really really bad.

I really fear we have wasted wages on 2 crocks in Arrons and Moult who wont play the majority of games which leaves us lacking in any sort of depth and forced to play people like Morris whilst wasting money!

Just now, Mccus28 said:

The 2nd goal we gave away was a shocker, waltzed past 5 players and not one of them thought about putting a tackle in, really really bad.

I really fear we have wasted wages on 2 crocks in Arrons and Moult who wont play the majority of games which leaves us lacking in any sort of depth and forced to play people like Morris whilst wasting money!

The second goal was a header.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I don't see what Cornelius has done , becoming a better player by not playing 

What has Tienrney done to keep his place.

Cornelius was subbed when he had the lead at Kilmarnock. Then lost his place because we rinsed a shite Morton side in the league cup. The goal today was the first time we have scored with Tierney on the park this season.

Never thought I'd be sitting here thinking we badly missed Joe Efford. He's much more direct on the flanks and we needed that today.

Jury still out on Morris for me, can't judge him off the two Sligo games (where genuinely everyone was honking) and against Rangers. 

If I was Hammell I'd be trying to get Goss to sign a new contract now. He's been our best player nearly every game since Hammell came in.  Didn't cover himself at the glory at the goal right enough, but neither did the other 6 players who basically carried Tillman into the net.

McKinstry and Tierney both have ability but are wasteful a lot of time. Both need to step up.

KVV is so frustrating. He needs to release the ball quicker. Badly needs some competition up front, and unfortunately I don't think Moult is the answer.

Missed opportunity. That's as poor as I've seen Rangers. I wish it was them we had in the cup.

Obviously not our worst performance or result against Rangers but I was pretty disappointed today by what I saw.

First of all that was the poorest Rangers team we've seen at Fir Park since probably the play off match.  It'll be a long, long time before we see Rangers give away as much ball as they did today.

Unfortunately while we pressed and won challenges that's where the good points ended.  On the ball we were absolutely atrocious.  Poor ability, poor passing, poor decision making, poor control, it simply is not good enough.  How many times did we win the ball and give it straight back?  Or play a long ball into an area of the park with absolutely no claret and amber shirts in it?

Outside of set pieces we created one real chance and that was against as poor a Rangers team as you are likely to face.

Sometimes Rangers and Celtic come to our place and play at the top of their game and there isn't much you can do about it.  Today Rangers were well off the boil and they have gone 2-0 up.

Both goals we lost today were really poor although to be fair Rangers didn't really cause us a lot of problems overall.  However, you need to be defensively switched on for the 90 minutes.

Unfortunately we are going to have to play a lot better against Celtic or I suspect a pumping will be delivered.

Well that was depressingly familiar. I’ve seen that type of game over and over against Rangers over the years. We lack quality and belief going forward and defensive mistakes are our undoing.

I’m not a fan of Efford but compared to Morris he is a clear upgrade. Morris simply won’t do, we would be as well starting the game with a man down.

I’m pleased to see McKinstry get off the mark today but overall he was poor and ineffective.

Looking ahead to our next few league fixtures it’s hard to see where our next points are coming from.

Really disappointed by the manner we lost the goals today. As has been said previous, we really need to start defending better. I had the fear when Lamie went off and that was proven justified once again. Hamell also needs to get the players training on that pitch (not dalziel park) practicing set pieces and crosses into the box. The amount of times we found ourselves with good opportunity to put the ball into a dangerous area only to over shoot it out the park was criminal. 5 players around Tillman and not one tackle from anyone - sickening.

Just back from the game, a very poor Rangers team there for the taking and we pressed high, had a lot of the ball, but created feck all, gifted them a 1st goal when they never looked like scoring and gave them the boost they never deserved.

We are so lightweight up front its costing us big time, worried we have a constantly injured Moult and Aarons on the books contributing nothing so far.  We had some good play and possession,  McKinstry's goal was a beauty but too little too late, so unless we start creating chances and scoring on a more regular basis we are going to struggle goals win games.

So very disappointed today we let a team low in confidence, and short on players off the hook.

4 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Lack of activity in the transfer window will come back and bite us on the arse we are powder puff up front 

I've said previously that it’ll take at least 2 transfer windows to recover from the mess GA created. Hammell was screwed today by a lack of options and his inexperience. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

What has Tienrney done to keep his place.

Cornelius was subbed when he had the lead at Kilmarnock. Then lost his place because we rinsed a shite Morton side in the league cup. The goal today was the first time we have scored with Tierney on the park this season.

My point had nothing to do with Tierney.

Really meek performance, albeit we could have maybe worked towards a boring 0-0 against an under par Rangers. It says a lot for our squad depth when Efford and Spittal are significant absentees. Hammell will need to change it up a bit for Wednesday, we need far more aggression in our play to make up for the lack of quality. 

Never get a better chance to get something in a game against that horrible institution. Problem is we just don’t have the quality or players to do so. People are even suggesting Joe efford is going to be our saviour now . That in itself says it all about our squad. 

Tierney isn’t good enough at this level , too slight, too naive and out his depth - first goal showed that. Morris epitomises what went wrong under Alexander and those at board level that handed out contracts to journeymen who would struggle to get a game in league one. Our squad is paper thin with no ball winners or street wise midfielders who can stop the game when it needs to be stopped. Hammells 3 signings look at the moment like being as wasteful as a Tony Straker wage. 

Need to beat the teams at the bottom around us and somehow get 10th and have a huge overhaul in the summer. 

Amazes me we don’t have an under 20 or under 18 centre forward we could bring on in last ten mins given all the hype, numbers and finance invested in our academy . 

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Moult isn't the answer, sadly. 

If he can’t get fit then he’s not. We knew signing him was a gamble but he’s got nowhere near the required fitness level yet and that’s why he’s yet to start a game or and make a meaningful contribution.

8 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

If he can’t get fit then he’s not. We knew signing him was a gamble but he’s got nowhere near the required fitness level yet and that’s why he’s yet to start a game or and make a meaningful contribution.

Hopefully he’s not costing that much. I think we all knew what a gamble he was, at the moment it’s proving those worries were  justified.