Motherwell v Rangers 16/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

18 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

A bit harsh to put much of this on Hammell.  He came in late in the transfer window, not able to bring in many/quality as most teams have snapped people up.  In addition we've got several key players out at the moment.

No team has done us over, including the OF. We've competed and been much better on the eye than the last 12 months with Alexander or Robinsons last 12 months.  We're 8th, which is about where we should be.  We've given some cheap goals away, that's no different from GA and most are the same players, it's individual capability the issue rather than poor game mgt by Hammell.

In terms of other managers,  there wasn't an extensive list to pick from.  From those quoted I personally believe we made the right choice. 

Continue to approach games as we have, make chances, play creatively I suspect we'll be 9th or better come the end of the season and that will do me just fine.  Hammell needs a few years to build a team, over a few summer transfer windows.   

I hope you’re right, I’m as positive a supporter as it comes and hope he manages to pick up enough points to allow him the time needed to develop his own squad. I can accept I’m maybe being slightly harsh and worrying a little too much, he seems a nice guy and obviously loves the club, regardless that’s one win in six now, regardless of performances, being easy on the eyes, giving youth a chance, we have to start picking up more points. The home results are appalling and that would be a good place to start turning it around.

Are folks really  judging Hammell on todays performance? What choices did he have? What options did he have from the bench?

Personally I think we have shown enough so far to suggest we will be fine.

January will be important as today has shown how light we are up front when we have a few injuries.

I like how he has us playing and Im willing to give him time to get it right. 

We are mid table right now after a tough run of fixtures. Lets see where we are in January after half the calendar and with Hammell having had the chance to try and get a few more in.

As much as  I wasnt getting carried away after Ross County, Im not gonna get suicidal after defeats feom Celtic and Rangers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

That would be Graham Alexander who got us to fifth last season and it wasn't enough for some fans? Hammell has been dealt a poor hand? Should Burrows and the board not take some responsibility for not acting sooner if the Alexander appointment wasn't working?  Come on. We can't just blame Alexander for this mess. Let's not scapegoat him

No need to scapegoat him. 

Hammell has the same players playing much better football with a marginal difference in results.

That speaks for itself.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Agree. Said at the beginning I thought he was the wrong choice. Apparently its still all Alexander's fault that we aren't playing well? Because it was his team? Completely disagree. Alexander came in and inherited Robbos team and kept us up and got us to fifth and I completely understand it. We were playing poor football under Alexander and the relationship between him and some of the fans had broken down but seriously. Every week I go on twitter and Facebook and all I see is, results will come and we are playing good football.

Good football means zero when you are in a relegation scrap. We absolutely appointed on sentiment and it's not working. I seriously hope he proves me wrong but at this point I don't think he will . And if Hammell didn't have enough time in the transfer window due to the late appointment you can blame that on the board for dragging the situation out. Seriously just no. Last season and the way Alexander went was hard enough. We deserve better considering how expensive it is to go to a game when you are on a low income (and I'm one of these people).

Are you okay? 

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Are folks really  judging Hammell on todays performance? What choices did he have? What options did he have from the bench?

January will be important as today has shown how light we are up front when we have a few injuries.

We are mid table right now after a tough run of fixtures. Lets see where we are in January after half the calendar and with Hammell having had the chance to try and get a few more in.

As much as  I wasnt getting carried away after Ross County, Im not gonna get suicidal after defeats feom Celtic and Rangers.

No, I don't think anyone is judging Stevie on the basis of todays result.  Yorkyred, for example, wrote " regardless that’s one win in six now". I referred to the Kilmarnock game. To put matters in context, we are in the midst of a very difficult run of fixtures just now. However our continuing weaknesses are obvious for all to see. The result today was expected; we had injuries, but given pre match talk of the players being happier and freer to express themslves I really thought we'd get wired in to Sevco, show no fear and get in their faces.....but ultimately still get beat. We couldn't do that.    

• Like 1

Sorry but he had a month to get proper players in and it's hardly he wasn't about the first team or know what was needed.

So he brings in Moult which has been a disaster pointless signing it is beyond baffling  and Aarons who has spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.Two unforgivable wastes of resources that should have never been giving the go ahead.

If Robinson or Alexander had done that folk be foaming at the mouth.

We need to do so something cause slowly starting to grind to halt.I would just try different a formation but I 100 percent think two up front needs to happen KVV and someone see how it goes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Absolutely not although I still maintain that was as poor a Rangers team as will will probably face in many years to come. I’m certainly not writing him off by any means, I hope he comes good. I am however under no illusions that we need to pick up more points and regardless of his background with the club the home form for one needs to improve quickly. Football is a ruthless business and this club can’t afford to be relegated. Previous managers would have been slaughtered after that line up and performance, he does  not get a free pass forever.

Thought we looked slow all over the park today, that was a poor Rangers side there for the taking, Ref didn’t help today, his game was dictated by their players, Tillman had about 8 fouls and a dive in the box with no card, Goss booked for time wasting when Macgregor done it all game, and Cornelius booked for first tackle, icing was stopping our break forward for a head knock when the guy got straight up.

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

Agree. Said at the beginning I thought he was the wrong choice. Apparently its still all Alexander's fault that we aren't playing well? Because it was his team? Completely disagree. Alexander came in and inherited Robbos team and kept us up and got us to fifth and I completely understand it. We were playing poor football under Alexander and the relationship between him and some of the fans had broken down but seriously. Every week I go on twitter and Facebook and all I see is, results will come and we are playing good football.

Good football means zero when you are in a relegation scrap. We absolutely appointed on sentiment and it's not working. I seriously hope he proves me wrong but at this point I don't think he will . And if Hammell didn't have enough time in the transfer window due to the late appointment you can blame that on the board for dragging the situation out. Seriously just no. Last season and the way Alexander went was hard enough. We deserve better considering how expensive it is to go to a game when you are on a low income (and I'm one of these people).

If you expect to get value for money every game watching football and a team like Motherwell. Your watching the wrong sport . Paying more money doesnt mean success.  Hammel is doing fine with what hes got . You can please some of the people some of the time. But not all of the people all the time.

Losing by a single goal to Rangers isn't exactly one of the worst results in our history. I find it bizarre anyone thinking this is a bad Rangers side. Why? Because they're getting pumped in the Champions League. They've lost once in the league, and that was to Celtic. Well, we were hammered by Sligo Rovers not so long ago. The gulf in player quality between them and us has probably never been bigger and we are missing a few starters. How long ago was it that we beat Ross County by five and everyone was raving about it. I think we're solid enough in a league full of at least eight very poor teams. 

Also, on Moult. Anyone saying he was pointless signing seems a little hysterical. I'm sure we all wanted him to start by now but there's a long season ahead with a six-week break in the middle. There's plenty of time to make differences to player fitness and style of play. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, stv said:

If you expect to get value for money every game watching football and a team like Motherwell. Your watching the wrong sport . Paying more money doesnt mean success.  Hammel is doing fine with what hes got . You can please some of the people some of the time. But not all of the people all the time.

Just out of curiosity when do you draw the line in the sand with Hammel when it's not fine?

Watched highlights to see if goals were as bad as I first thought to then discover they were worse!!!. The first goal is an absolute joke with 5 of our players not capable of putting in a challenge. The 2nd yet another howler from big bevis as nowhere near his man. He is a cracking big guy but hopefully Lamie injury not bad as if we are having to rely on Sol and Bevis as a partnership it really gives me the fear

Given that we started Morris, McKinstery and Tierney it's not really a surprise we didn't create anything. Signing Arrons and Moult looked like an obvious error at the time and it's turned out exactly as you would expect. If Hammell keeps trying to pretend that Tierney is a real footballer serious questions will need to be asked. 

We looked a poorly coached team yesterday. Goss's booking for timewasting pretty much cost us the opening goal as he couldn't make a challenge on Tillman. The defending from the set piece for the second was a joke, Van Veen waiting for the ball rather than attacking it. Our own set plays were very poor and not shooting on the last free kick was criminal when McGregor really struggles with anything over shoulder height. 

Big Sol played really well but apart from that it wasn't anywhere near good enough. 

29 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Watched highlights to see if goals were as bad as I first thought to then discover they were worse!!!. The first goal is an absolute joke with 5 of our players not capable of putting in a challenge. The 2nd yet another howler from big bevis as nowhere near his man. He is a cracking big guy but hopefully Lamie injury not bad as if we are having to rely on Sol and Bevis as a partnership it really gives me the fear

Yes I’m afraid it was bad. I do understand the posts stating that Rangers are on a different level to us financially but we were our own worst enemy, we’ve taken draws against Rangers teams that we’re far superior to yesterdays. It’s also a mental attitude thing with Rangers, as badly  as they play I never get the impression we believe we can actually take them on and win, we never had a better chance to do that in my view. Unless we have a day like one or two other teams have had against old firm where they put that  fear to one side we will be another 20 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We looked a poorly coached team yesterday. Goss's booking for timewasting pretty much cost us the opening goal as he couldn't make a challenge on Tillman.

What a load of shite blaming Goss for their 1st goal ffs there were another 4 players who were not willing to take a yellow for the team and bring Tillman down. That's why we keep losing games because we're not streetwise enough to realise when the odd "tactical foul" is required.

If we had done that yesterday I reckon we would have taken something from that game as their 1st goal gave them a boost they never deserved.

I really think we need to keep a sense of perspective on how things have gone so far under Stevie H. Whilst Rangers were poor yesterday, Van B hasn’t lost a league game to anyone other than Celtic since he took over. As many have said Stevie inherited a mess of a squad that had just be beaten twice by Sligo Rovers! In terms of defeats this season we have lost to the Old Firm, Hibs & Hearts, Kilmarnock away and St Johnstone at home. With St Johnstone at home being the only one we would have been favourites to win! We’ve beaten St Mirren, Livi, Aberdeen and Ross C, with probably only the Livi game seeing us as favourites to win! By the end of Feb I think we’ll have an idea of how things are going to play out. Like most I don’t think we have enough goals to make top 6 (unless Louis can get fit and stay fit) but I also don’t think we’re poor enough to end up in a relegation scrap. 

14 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Thought we looked slow all over the park today, that was a poor Rangers side there for the taking, Ref didn’t help today, his game was dictated by their players, Tillman had about 8 fouls and a dive in the box with no card, Goss booked for time wasting when Macgregor done it all game, and Cornelius booked for first tackle, icing was stopping our break forward for a head knock when the guy got straight up.

Our time wasting at that free kick deserved to get more than Goss booked it was ridiculous no complaints from me

5 minutes ago, couttsy said:

I really think we need to keep a sense of perspective on how things have gone so far under Stevie H. Whilst Rangers were poor yesterday, Van B hasn’t lost a league game to anyone other than Celtic since he took over. As many have said Stevie inherited a mess of a squad that had just be beaten twice by Sligo Rovers! In terms of defeats this season we have lost to the Old Firm, Hibs & Hearts, Kilmarnock away and St Johnstone at home. With St Johnstone at home being the only one we would have been favourites to win! We’ve beaten St Mirren, Livi, Aberdeen and Ross C, with probably only the Livi game seeing us as favourites to win! By the end of Feb I think we’ll have an idea of how things are going to play out. Like most I don’t think we have enough goals to make top 6 (unless Louis can get fit and stay fit) but I also don’t think we’re poor enough to end up in a relegation scrap. 

I think before the start of the world cup we are going to find out how it's going to play out never mind end of February.1 home win 3 goals scored at home all season(1 own goal) isn't really good enough we can all the excuses under the sun but this squad is no better or worse than any other team it all comes down to setting the team up properly and weakness has proved we didn't strengthen up front properly we signed two very injury prone players that's came back to haunt us big time.

Something is not clicking somewhere has the effort went up?100 percent but effort does not win you games scoring more goals than the other team does.

14 goals this season 7 have came from open play,5 pens and 2 own goals.

I never thought we would miss Efford but we really could have done with him yesterday might have even got something out the game.

• Like 1