SLC quarter final Motherwell v Celtic 19/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

2-2 after 90 minutes.

Celtic will go 1-0 up early on and look as though they will run up a cricket score.

Then from nowhere we will equalise with an own goal.

The second half will be dominated by Celtic but we’ll hang in somehow and then amazingly we’ll go 2-1 up thanks to another own goal.

Then Celtic will equalise in the 9th minute of the 6 allotted injury time minutes and go on to win it either after extra time or penalties.

Heartbreak.

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

2-2 after 90 minutes.

Celtic will go 1-0 up early on and look as though they will run up a cricket score.

Then from nowhere we will equalise with an own goal.

The second half will be dominated by Celtic but we’ll hang in somehow and then amazingly we’ll go 2-1 up thanks to another own goal.

Then Celtic will equalise in the 9th minute of the 6 allotted injury time minutes and go on to win it either after extra time or penalties.

Heartbreak.

Better repost when the drink wears off, Celtic will pump us, and we will have no reply.

5 hours ago, Yodo said:

Based on todays performance we won’t lay a glove on them and they will score as many as they want 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

A fair assumption.

It would be if football worked like that. In fact we could just skip the season and toss a coin to see if Rangers or Celtic that get the trophy.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

It would be if football worked like that. In fact we could just skip the season and toss a coin to see if Rangers or Celtic that get the trophy.

Be careful of your quotes Weeyin. I only agreed with Yodo's first comment about not laying a glove on them and not his/her second one "They will score as many as they want".

13 hours ago, weeyin said:

That's the reality in Scotland just now, the gap between the ugly sisters and the rest of the premiership teams is vast, financially and playing ability. Those 2 are the only teams that are ever going to win the title, and the majority of the Scottish cup and League cups as well. 

Scotland is not unique though as most leagues have the same issues, ie dominated by a few teams year in year out, money is the one common factor for success, the more you have the better your team will be. 

It's the Quarter Final of a cup and it's hard to get excited with the other bigots coming to town. By all accounts they haven't been playing great the last month or so but they have still managed to dig out results with the obvious exception being pumped in Europe and the game against St Mirren. Heading along in more hope than expectation, getting a result here would certainly go down as one of those great nights at Fir Park. Hopefully we see a marked improvement on Sunday otherwise defeat will be inevitable. 

Don Robertson is the ref for this game. 

On 10/16/2022 at 5:21 PM, Spiderpig said:

Better repost when the drink wears off, Celtic will pump us, and we will have no reply.

I bet that's what the St Mirren fans thought as well. 

Thus far in the league they've lost one in ten, scored 35 goals and conceded 6. We have less of a chance of beating them than they had of beating Real Madrid in reality, but it's still a chance. 

As always, we need them to be off their game and us to be right up for it and on ours in order to have a chance. I wouldn't bet any money on us, but until we go 2-0 down I'll have hope.

On 10/16/2022 at 5:21 PM, Spiderpig said:

You’ll more likely than not be right about that, but Celtic haven’t been convincing by their standards over the past month and us at home in a Cup tie might level things up a bit.

However…

15 minutes ago, David said:

I bet that's what the St Mirren fans thought as well. 

…As much as this is true, we just don’t get results like that against Celtic (or Rangers) nowadays. Robinson was with us for almost four years and had several of the players that he managed to get a win against Celtic last month with St.Mirren, but he never really got near that with us. 

Putting it simply, if Celtic ‘turn up’ on Wednesday night then we’ll be lucky to only lose by five goals. If they are off their game by any stretch then we won’t have the quality, the luck or the bottle to take advantage of it.

2 hours ago, pretzel said:

It's the Quarter Final of a cup and it's hard to get excited with the other bigots coming to town. By all accounts they haven't been playing great the last month or so but they have still managed to dig out results with the obvious exception being pumped in Europe and the game against St Mirren. Heading along in more hope than expectation, getting a result here would certainly go down as one of those great nights at Fir Park. Hopefully we see a marked improvement on Sunday otherwise defeat will be inevitable. 

Don Robertson is the ref for this game. 

Yep, OF games are always the same for me “more hope than expectation” 

9 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

You’ll more likely than not be right about that, but Celtic haven’t been convincing by their standards over the past month and us at home in a Cup tie might level things up a bit.

However…

…As much as this is true, we just don’t get results like that against Celtic (or Rangers) nowadays. Robinson was with us for almost four years and had several of the players that he managed to get a win against Celtic last month with St.Mirren, but he never really got near that with us. 

Putting it simply, if Celtic ‘turn up’ on Wednesday night then we’ll be lucky to only lose by five goals. If they are off their game by any stretch then we won’t have the quality, the luck or the bottle to take advantage of it.

If the online chatter and rumours are to be believed we have an injury problem at the club, Moult, Spittal, Efford all missed the game yesterday  and probably won't feature on Wednesday, Lamie went off injured so he might not be back either so be prepared for pretty much the same team as faced Rangers.

We struggled to create anything yesterday and I can't see that changing on Wednesday so it's going to be a very big ask to beat Celtic with the paper thin squad resources we currently have.

But that said upsets happen so it's possible we can get through but in all reality I suspect we will lose as if we go a goal down I can't see us getting back into the game.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can get Efford and Moult back in amongst the squad. Tierney too lightweight, I would much rather Cornelius.

The quality of balls up to Van Veen have to be better, and we need to get up and support him. I’d actually like to see us go 3-5-2 for this and get Penney & McGinn up and down the flanks.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Hopefully we can get Efford and Moult back in amongst the squad. Tierney too lightweight, I would much rather Cornelius.

The quality of balls up to Van Veen have to be better, and we need to get up and support him. I’d actually like to see us go 3-5-2 for this and get Penney & McGinn up and down the flanks.

I was hoping for that set up on Sunday. But I guess injuries and suspensions put paid to that. Finding two main strikers that can link up effectively is a challenge. I assume that will have been worked on in training with Van Veen and Moult but circumstances scuppered that possibility. 

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

The quality of balls up to Van Veen have to be better, and we need to get up and support him.

I agree with most of that but would replace Morris with Cornelius.  We need more energy, drive and aggression in midfield to nip at heels, get in faces and feed the offensive players

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree with most of that but would replace Morris with Cornelius.  We need more energy, drive and aggression in midfield to nip at heels, get in faces and feed the offensive players

Totally agree with that. You will get a ton of good work out of Cornelius. Morris, not so much.  

13 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I guess semi-finals of cups against Rangers don't count?

13 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I dont really dissagree with 3-5-2 but, given our centre back situation, I personally would play McGinn in the back 3 with O'Donnell on the right of a five.