SLC quarter final Motherwell v Celtic 19/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, steelman1991 said:

I guess semi-finals of cups against Rangers don't count?

I was referring to Robinson’s record against Celtic. But yes that SF against Rangers was a superb result, though it was also the last time we got such a big win and we’re almost five years to the day since then.

I don’t see us getting anything like that against either of them any time soon, if ever.

10 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree with most of that but would replace Morris with Cornelius.  We need more energy, drive and aggression in midfield to nip at heels, get in faces and feed the offensive players

If he’s seen as a number ‘6’ type, they’re choosing to go with 2 in Slattery & Goss which has served well.

Has a strength in going beyond the forward line (which van Veen requires) and engine to match so why not offer him the opportunity? There’s more than a few on the Tierney hype train. Yes, he finds pockets of space, but, as the number ‘10’ type he never goes beyond which should have been developed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Totally agree with that. You will get a ton of good work out of Cornelius. Morris, not so much.  

I thought Morris did the defensive side of the things as well as anyone against Rangers. It’s the keeping the ball, creating things and getting crosses into the box he doesn’t really do.

19 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I wasn't going to go but changed my mind and forked out £22 today for a ticket, I must be bonkers but would be raging if I missed out on a famous win, I honestly can't see it happening but you never know, COYW

It's probably just my age, but I think I'd struggle to consider a league cup quarter final win against anyone to be famous.

9 minutes ago, numpty said:

It's probably just my age, but I think I'd struggle to consider a league cup quarter final win against anyone to be famous.

If we can beat a high flying Celtic side I will certainly regard it as a great victory, we don't get chance to celebrate many big wins so I am hoping for a miracle tomorrow 

53 minutes ago, numpty said:

I guess you could argue that if we were to go through that’s the favourites out. I’ve no doubt we would have won one of the cups if we’d not played Celtic in both finals.

19 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

If we can beat a high flying Celtic side I will certainly regard it as a great victory, we don't get chance to celebrate many big wins so I am hoping for a miracle tomorrow 

And a miracle it will be. It will be the same old same old. Thankfully my arse is parked in warmer climes for this one and I can switch off when the game follows the normal course of events for an OF game. I used to laugh and day I'll go to my grave and never see us beat  Rangers and Celtic and ever again. Sadly with the record we have built up that statement ain't so funny anymore. 

I genuinely don’t think we’ll ever beat either of them again, sad as that sounds.

As for tonight although a hammering is the most likely outcome, I can’t shake the feeling that it’s going to be an absolute sickening heartbreaker. I think I’d actually prefer to see us get pumped 5-0 than run them close and lose a close game or on penalties, it would certainly be easier to stomach.

2 minutes ago, ZT_1886 said:

The last time I recall us coming even close to beating them was the 1-1 draw shortly after the LC final, toxic atmosphere and something to prove after the final, of course another game ruined by a dubious refereeing decision.

That bulgy eyed prick Callum McGregor with a swan dive for the penalty.

We drew 1-1 with them a year later, Danny Johnson late equaliser on a foggy midweek game. That was the last time we didn’t lose to them.

Team just been announced and Spittal & Shields start with Morris and Tierney dropping to the bench. Still no Moult even among the subs.

That bulgy eyed prick Callum McGregor with a swan dive for the penalty.

We drew 1-1 with them a year later, Danny Johnson late equaliser on a foggy midweek game. That was the last time we didn’t lose to them.
Team just been announced and Spittal & Shields start with Morris and Tierney dropping to the bench. Still no Moult even among the subs.

I profoundly remember us nicking that point after a brutal 89 minutes of football, Celtic missed a penalty too, much sweeter

3 minutes ago, ZT_1886 said:

I profoundly remember us nicking that point after a brutal 89 minutes of football, Celtic missed a penalty too, much sweeter emoji16.png

And also had a goal wrongly disallowed.

We were awful that night but getting that late equaliser was a bit of payback for the game a year earlier.

Celtic arriving late for the game, hopefully that disrupts there prep in some way. 

Hard to get too excited knowing who our opposition is for this game but it would be tremendous to knock them out the cup and head along to Hampden. 

45 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I genuinely don’t think we’ll ever beat either of them again, sad as that sounds.

As for tonight although a hammering is the most likely outcome, I can’t shake the feeling that it’s going to be an absolute sickening heartbreaker. I think I’d actually prefer to see us get pumped 5-0 than run them close and lose a close game or on penalties, it would certainly be easier to stomach.

I know. I hate gallant defeats or the kind on Saturday where we gift wrap it for them. 

14 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I know. I hate gallant defeats

They are the absolute worst. The feeling of so near yet so far then all the patronising bullshit afterwards about “how well we played, how unlucky we were and how with our budget our great wee team shouldn’t be competing with them bla, bla, bla fuck”!  :wallbash:

• Haha 1