SLC quarter final Motherwell v Celtic 19/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Yodo said:

Can’t compete if u don’t have a midfield and ours is dross to slow cant pass and can’t tackle they are woeful 

Having only three in midfield is doing more harm than good. I think we really have to play 3 5 2 from now on . We made too easy for Celtic tonight by giving them all the room in midfield to play the ball around all night . If we choke the midfield area it makes life a lot more difficult for the opposition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Exactly one thing we have been missing and never replaced is a Campbell type running about the pitch 1 minute -90th getting stuck right in.

This team couldn't tackle an open bag of chips.

Goss must have shit out of at least five tackles 

That was dismal but not entirely unexpected. I thought we weathered the storm pretty well first half but realistically it was only a matter of time before the usual scudding took place. I left after the 3rd went in and as usual I'm left wondering why I went at all. I won't judge too harshly off the back of this game but I really hope hammy has identified targets that can improve us in January as that squad is clearly threadbare of quality and options.

we've just come through tough few games . Hearts Celtic , Ross County, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic.

We won the game we should be winning (RC) .   

Never nice losing 4-0 but sadly no huge surprise or any real reflection on how good we are.  

Unfortunately our next games are all tough v's Aberdeen, Utd, Hearts and Celtic again.   It's not til closer to Chrimbo before the fixtures look more our level. 

Being realistic 1 or 2 points are the likely best outcome.  Doesn't mean we're suddenly a poor team, but important we find something to keep confidence and stay in the pack.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Not sure I would say it’s crucial at this point, but after the last two game we need to concentrate on the basics, even given the quality of the opposition we’ve been dire all over the pitch.

I couldn't agree more,the basics aren't been done right now,we can talk about rangers and celtic being much better than us,there's nothing new there but the standard of goals we have conceded against the other teams is really alarming,from the likes of st johnstone at home to kilmarnock away.

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

we've just come through tough few games . Hearts Celtic , Ross County, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic.

We won the game we should be winning (RC) .   

Never nice losing 4-0 but sadly no huge surprise or any real reflection on how good we are.  

Unfortunately our next games are all tough v's Aberdeen, Utd, Hearts and Celtic again.   It's not til closer to Chrimbo before the fixtures look more our level. 

Being realistic 1 or 2 points are the likely best outcome.  Doesn't mean we're suddenly a poor team, but important we find something to keep confidence and stay in the pack.  

OUR LEVEL get a grip man we are or should be a Premier League Team that competes at that level if we can't compete against all the teams then we would be better dropping down a level just giving up and chucking it, 

What do you see our level as Morton, Dundee Ayr. We need players that are capable of winning at Premier league level top 10 this year and a clear out. We have wasted so much money on 3 year contracts for DROSS and CROCKS

• Like 1

Just back in, game went as I expected it would, again we offered nothing up front, but the difference in ability between  the 2 teams is vast. Sunday was a big disappointment as that Rangers team was poor and there for the taking but tonight we were outclassed by a far superior team, who in all honesty should have won by a few more goals, so there is no shame in that.

Our season won't be defined by results against the uglies, but SH needs to sort out our strike force as we currently offer nothing, no out ball so I hope we get somebody else in come January or we will struggle big time, as sadly I am not convinced Moult and Aarons are the answer given their current lack of game time.

57 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The gap just keeps getting wider, I’m afraid we can sign who we want but that’s not going to change. However having said that we were frankly just dreadful, I left after the third goal.

Fukn part timer.

• Like 1

I think wot we have to take into consideration is not where we are at,but where they are at,they competed with real Madrid for an hour, they've humped utd,hibs and rangers

I was hopeful tonight as I always am no matter who we are playing,it's the manner of the defeat that frustrates me, we're 2 mins away from halftime 0-0,there has to be some sort of communication and game management to see that out

Onto the goals,jeez where do you start,the ball was there to be won in the build up to all of them,we are too powder puff in our challenges,too many of them not taking control and launching it out the park,I don't think we've replaced the leadership of Peter Hartley at the back 

Saturday is our bread n butter,let's see a reaction

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Jeezo what a sitter from McKinstry. Cannot afford to miss chances like that in these types of games :wallbash:

Just for clarity you do know the goal would not have counted, don't you,  the ball was out and the flag was up before KVV hit the ball to cross it in, so  not really a chance was it.

33 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just for clarity you do know the goal would not have counted, don't you,  the ball was out and the flag was up before KVV hit the ball to cross it in, so  not really a chance was it.

No I didn’t know that at the time, but thanks for letting me know. I should pay attention more I suppose.

1 hour ago, ML1 said:

They qualified for Europe well clear of relegation so it's relative to the other clubs

Hammy clap clap clap , Louis clap clap clap , Hammy clap clap clap ...

That was last seasons squad that qualified for Europe. We’d already lost players from that squad when Hammell came in. The squad he inherited had just been well beaten by a team who are currently 5th in the League of Ireland.

8 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Hammell had over a month to improve our starting 11 and failed miserably 

In a transfer window where the majority of the budget had been spent by his predecessor on a squad that lost to Sligo. What a failure.

• Like 2

I still believe in Hammell and certainly no way do I feel we are worse off than when Alexander was in charge. It was always going to be a long term project. What is costing us big time just now is the basics which some players seem incapable of doing. I think fact the past 2 games have been against 2 teams I absolutely detest haven't helped my mood. 

Also his first ever transfer window as a senior manager. I’m as bitterly disappointed as everyone else but think Hammell isn’t to blame for this.

The only thing going against him right now is signing two attackers with injury issues. One, aye fair doos, but two is turning out to be a failed gamble. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose.

Edit - I also think we will be competing for top six this season, we have put in some right good performances. Need some consistency and a bit of quality going forward. 

Do not blame Hammell for anything before I start,  It took Robinson to go to St Mirren before he could get a result as we as a club do not have the correct mindset in games like this and has been obvious for years 

2 defeats in 3 days which were completely expected in my eyes.  We ran Rangers much closer as Celtic are a much better side on their day and potentially can take 4 goals off any team in our league

That said though our results in those games are horrendous in the last 5/7 years  

Interesting to read the Hibs manager earlier. Think there is something psychological about the inevitable of a defeat regardless of form

4 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

In a transfer window where the majority of the budget had been spent by his predecessor on a squad that lost to Sligo. What a failure.

Alexander signed 2 players. Hammell has signed five (accepting that one was likely lined up by his predecessor). What have we got in return? 2 permacrocks who even the most optimistic of fans knew were beyond a mild risk at the time of signing.  The harsh reality is despite hammell signing 3 forward thinking players we still have Connor fucking shields and Morris pulling on a shirt on match days. That’s not progress.  

Just now, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Alexander signed 2 players. Hammell has signed five (accepting that one was likely lined up by his predecessor). What have we got in return? 2 permacrocks who even the most optimistic of fans knew were beyond a mild risk at the time of signing.  The harsh reality is despite hammell signing 3 forward thinking players we still have Connor fucking shields and Morris pulling on a shirt on match days. That’s not progress.  

Dont forget he lost Woolery Grimshaw and O'Hara , anything beyond not being relegated by Christmas is a bonus this year apparantly

• Sad 1

This was always going to be an incredibly difficult week but I hoped we’d come out of it with a degree of positivity and a sense that we are heading in the right direction. Instead, the alarm bells are starting to ring. 

Our primary issue is the lack of quality in the squad, particularly from middle to front where we’ve been largely powderpuff since the night Sligo came to Fir Park. This will take some time to address and the gambles we took in the transfer market towards the end of August have evidently not paid off. 

That aside though, our approach to these last two games has been a cause for concern. I like Hammell a lot but I struggle to buy into his belief that we can look to impose a similar style of play against all levels of opposition, the consequences of which have seen us barely lay a glove on Celtic or an under-par Rangers. There has been little aggression and physicality in our play and we continue to fail to do the basics like tracking runners. The standard of goals we are losing is embarrassing. Big response needed against Aberdeen or much of the positivity from a month or so ago will be quickly forgotten. 

Predictable outcome against a side with a budget and playing resources we can only ream of. Our season will not be defined by our results against the old firm.

The manager is having to deal with issues within the squad which are not of his making. Issues, I might add, that have been evident for some time and which  his predecessors failed to address. We need to be both patient and understanding as it is not possible for these problems to be fixed in an instant. I think there are genuine signs that we are heading in the right direction, and I genuinely believe that we will stay up this season. Hopefully this run of poor results will be arrested soon, and not become a self perpetuating spiral of negativity. We have a squad with some talent and it is up to them, with guidance from the coaching staff and support from the fans, to find a way to get us back on track. COYW!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Hammell had over a month to improve our starting 11 and failed miserably 

You can't blame Hammell for being focused on an Academy job then not delivering a successful transfer window at short notice. 

If he avoids relegation it's a great season. 

18 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

McGinn, Spittal, Morris and I think the Oxborough signing was agreed by Alexander? Certainly not 2 players. Hammell has signed Penney, McKinstry, Moult and Aarons. All loans which suggests his budget was minimal. Penney is an improvement to the first 11 and McKinstry is contributing so although it hasn’t been a roaring success he did improve the first 11 in the 3 weeks ( not over a month) that he had to make signings. Hardly “failed miserably”.