Motherwell v Ross County 14/01/23

pretzel

We're just a handful of games past the half way point and this fixture already feels like it's a must win. A defeat here will bring them level on points but a win for us will give us a six point cushion with a game in hand. It's actually torture looking at your nearest rivals at this stage to see how they're fairing as I'm sure there will be many twists and turns. Killie face Rangers next Wednesday as they have a League Cup Semi this weekend and Dundee United face Hibernian. It's frustrating as the results over the weekend were quite favourable to us and we weren't able to take advantage. It'll be interesting to see if we finally add an addition or two to the squad. Personally I'm still supportive of Hammell and I hope it gets it right but you can't help but fear the atmosphere if things go badly this weekend. We blew them away in Dingwall earlier in the season with a magnificent second half performance, I'm confident we will score against them but not so confident we will keep a clean sheet. It would be nice to get the three points on board then be able to enjoy the Scottish Cup fixture.

Changes are required. Assuming that we don't add any new faces before Saturday, I'd swap Blaney for Lamie and O'Donnell for Penney (assuming will he be away by then?) in  defence. Drop Spittal for Tierney in midfield and drop Shields for McKinstry. Cornelius to play just behind KVV.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Changes are required. Assuming that we don't add any new faces before Saturday, I'd swap Blaney for Lamie and O'Donnell for Penney (assuming will he be away by then?) in  defence. Drop Spittal for Tierney in midfield and drop Shields for McKinstry behind KVV. Cornelius to play just behind KVV.   

Happy with that team pal but would swap Blaney for Sol. Though Lamie was brutal yesterday also

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Changes are required. Assuming that we don't add any new faces before Saturday, I'd swap Blaney for Lamie and O'Donnell for Penney (assuming will he be away by then?) in  defence. Drop Spittal for Tierney in midfield and drop Shields for McKinstry. Cornelius to play just behind KVV.   

Can't really argue against any of those changes, although I would say that there's a chance Penney might still be here. Discussions are apparently ongoing.

I'd maybe not drop Spittal, as he's most likely to score a goal at the moment alongside Van Veen, but would definitely look to replace Shields with McKinstry. 

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Think they are but surely one can adapt. I find it incredible that so many players only use their other foot just to stand on

Grizzly can you imagine lamie trying to ping passes about with his weaker foot 😆.if we had two centre halfs that could come in then I would drop sol and lamie after that showing yesterday,both deserve it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Think they are but surely one can adapt. I find it incredible that so many players only use their other foot just to stand on

Sol / Kipre / Dec / Ojala / O'Connor / Bevis all right footed but managed to play together.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I know Blaney and Lamie are both left footed, but Lamie is performing to a higher level than Sol who is rash and slow. He had a part in all 3 Hibs goals yesterday because of his poor positioning and bad decision making.

Id drop Sol for Blaney. For me Lamie looks like the only one trying to organise / communicate in our defence.

I also wouldnt drop Spittal. Former players and old clubs etc......

I wouldn't argue with any changes to the team, no one is deserving of their place right now.

Penney's performance yesterday softened the blow of his potential return to Ipswich. He was more responsible for two of the goals than any of the center backs were.  Sol is the weaker of the two, but it is a case of choosing which bollock to be kicked in when choosing between him and lamie. 

My Team would be 

Kelly   

McGinn   Lamie.   Blaney

SOD                                                     Penney

Slattery  Cornelius. Mckinstrey 

KVV.       Tierney 

Slattery and Goss can’t play in the same team as the are the same player. Shields and Spittal have been brutal. That’s the best eleven I can think of 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

is it possible to get spittal back on there team bus ?????     just askin for ma pal stevie :)

Absolute must win game , a draw or defeat not acceptable 

One win and hopefully get some confidence back,  remember in 2015 under Baraclough we were on a horrendous run of form and a 2-1 victory over Inverness was the start of getting out the mess we were in

Hoping for something similar this weekend

On 1/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, grizzlyg said:

I would be more confident of a left sided player being more adaptable than a right sided one.

• Like 1

Time for rallying call for tomorrow. A lot been said over past week but tomorrow we all need to be united and get right behind the lads. The players don't pick the team so if certain players start then there is no point berating every mistake they make, that ain't going to help matters.

If our fans start getting unsettled early doors it plays right into the hands of Ross Co.  We need to create a great atmosphere as this game is massive.

And yes at same time the players need to show they are up for it and not pull out of tackles or look disinterested. If they show the passion and commitment then the fans will get right behind them.

Altogether now.......COMMMMEEEE ONNNNN YEEEEEE WELLLLLLLLLLLL

• Like 3