Motherwell v Ross County 14/01/23

pretzel

8 minutes ago, smiddy said:

naw wee davie the physio is only 5 feet n a fart      good player in his junior days but 

Big Aldo is no a bad player, but a bit lightweight for a centre-half. His assistant is a bit more beefy right enough and would certainly fill a gap.

Seen a few folk slating Slattery however he’s playing with dog shit players. Personally he’s up there technically wise with the ball the best at the club, he was brilliant his first 6 months but after Xmas last season the whole team standards have dropped. For me the same is happening with Penney playing with the likes of Lamie and Sol next to him (Sol another who was very good in his first few months with us but now is horrendous).

If we can see it you hope the coaching staff can see it, we need to bring in 2 new Centre halves none of the 2 of them have pace or ability on the ball. Lamie was a bit part player before last season and was off to Dundee, why we ever allowed him the chance to stay is beyond me and shows how poor the management of the club has been in the last year or so. FWIW from what others have said regarding Blaney, I’ve also been told he’s piss poor, maybe different when playing however willing to give him a chance. 

Glad to see young Johnston be thrown in and a massive upgrade on SOD and McGinn (utter shite caused us so many problems last week). Wasn’t a massive lover of McKinstry there’s a reason he was dropped and for me doesn’t work hard enough when off the ball and tends to go hiding but he’s useful and if he can keep chipping in with goals that’s okay, rotation player for me.

Spittal is a rotten and you forget he is there he should be next to be dropped. 

Only positives for me were as said before Max Johnston, the 2 new guys looking decent and an upgrade on what we have. 2 Centre halves and a good midfielder, I’m hoping will see us by but it is worrying at the moment especially in games where we should and need to be gaining 3 points. Win next week to get some confidence and go into St Mirren and St Johnstone on a high to hopefully take 6 points.

PS thanks Hibs for the equaliser.

2 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

He made it smiddy 

the gaffer says 

He looks and sounds absolutely scunnered as you would expect. 

He talks about the work they do to prepare but clearly it isn’t working because the players we have either just aren’t good enough or they aren’t taking on board what they are being told to do, or a mixture of both. 

The sad reality is that from one week to the next absolutely nothing changes. Our defending is shambolic and we are shipping at least one cheap goal every game, our midfield has no bite and we are toothless up front. And no one is taking any ownership or leadership on the park and unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much of that coming from the bench either. I don’t see what, if anything Steven Hammell can do to improve things.

5 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

He made it smiddy 

the gaffer says 

Hammy likes to talk about ownership and the individual errors that cost us games. Perhaps he should take some ownership and drop the likes of Sol and Lamie who cost us goals nearly every game. We can't continue with this cycle of rinse and repeat; it's madness. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, smiddy said:

still no SH interview on clyde 1    they are now asking questions why ???????

He’s in the boardroom with Kerr collecting their P45s.

All joking aside, there’s still 17 games left to play which is almost half the season left.
I think it’s now time to act and get a new manager in to give him the time to try and steady things and save our season.

27 minutes ago, MJC said:

Those two along with Spittal, McGinn and Shields are Championship level players at best. 

This team would struggle to be mid table if it was in the Championship and I think we’ll see a good example of that when we go to Arbroath next week for what will be yet another turgid struggle and it will be no surprise whatsoever if we lose.

It might well not be our only trip to Gayfield in 2023 either, as I really can’t see us finishing above 11th. We have absolutely nothing about us, no leadership, no goals, no defence and very little in the way of ability. Our confidence looks to be dropping with each passing week.

I can understand your concern but  we are currently sitting 9th. That means as a matter of undeniable fact that our statistics are better than three other teams. It is very tight, yes but I see nothing from RC, Kilmarnock or Dundee Utd to suggest that they are definitely going to finish above us. I think St Johnstone could be pulled into the mix soon too.

I know that people will point to Utd nearly sneaking a victory at Easter Road but had that been us the talk would be about another draw being snatched from the jaws of victory.

I am not trying to defend the performances. They are poor but this is not over yet. I don't believe that our squad is mid table Championship standard and I think we will show that against Arbroath next.

The standard in the SPFL outwith Rangers, Celtic and maybe Hearts is awful. Motherwell just need to be less awful that the teams round about them. I think that is still possible, depressing as it will be to watch 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Hammy likes to talk about ownership and the individual errors that cost us games. Perhaps he should take some ownership and drop the likes of Sol and Lamie who cost us goals nearly every game. We can't continue with this cycle of rinse and repeat; it's madness. 

Cup game next week gives him the perfect opportunity to mix the team up a bit. Will be interesting to see if he does though, because losing the tie will have folk demanding a public flogging by chief henchman Bob "badboy" Park.

I keep reminding myself that we are actually playing well, losing by the odd goal and have a good set of fixtures coming up....... then we serve up that! Hopefully the style was due to the weather but by god it was an awful watch. Did Hammy phone GA up & ask him for a look at his tactics book? Easily the worst we have played under Hammil.

As has become the norm, we sacrafice points through our own pish play. Another shambolic goal to give away. We need to get someone in to help the management team who can coach defending AND scare the shite out these clowns! Going forward, we are generally ok - except for today. (Look at our goal difference). The issue is at the back. 

Positives - we didnt let county catch up. Crankshaft looked less pish than expected, McKinstrey had another good game, we have got a much better goal difference than the teams around us & a decent run of fixtures coming.

Negatives - we are shite. Very few of that team would even get in Barracloughs team which finished 2nd bottom. Confidence must be shot.

27 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I hear what you're saying, but Hammy's loyalty to the likes of Lamie and Sol will see us continue to concede cheap goals. I reckon the kitman and physio would make a more reliable defensive partnership than those two donkeys. 

I'm not sure it's loyalty to the likes of Lamie and Sol, but rather the fact that there's really no one else to step in. Who else is there? Mugabi? Injured. McGinley? Injured. 

Even accounting for the Irish lad we need another central defender in this month. 

3 minutes ago, El Grew said:

He’s in the boardroom with Kerr collecting their P45s.

All joking aside, there’s still 17 games left to play which is almost half the season left.
I think it’s now time to act and get a new manager in to give him the time to try and steady things and save our season.

One thing to keep in mind is that if we bump Hammell there's a better than average chance that we replace him with the already contracted Stuart Kettlewell. A guy who had a similar amount of time to that Hammell has had and has a similar win percentage at Ross County.

16 minutes ago, supermarv said:

If we can see it you hope the coaching staff can see it, we need to bring in 2 new Centre halves none of the 2 of them have pace or ability on the ball. Lamie was a bit part player before last season and was off to Dundee, why we ever allowed him the chance to stay is beyond me and shows how poor the management of the club has been in the last year or so. FWIW from what others have said regarding Blaney, I’ve also been told he’s piss poor, maybe different when playing however willing to give him a chance. 

Glad to see young Johnston be thrown in and a massive upgrade on SOD and McGinn (utter shite caused us so many problems last week). Wasn’t a massive lover of McKinstry there’s a reason he was dropped and for me doesn’t work hard enough when off the ball and tends to go hiding but he’s useful and if he can keep chipping in with goals that’s okay, rotation player for me.

Some great points made @supermarv , I agree with all of them. 

Defensively Lamie/Sol both need dropped and if Blaney is as poor then shame on the club for signing him. An absolutely waste of time and money.   We need central defenders who are significantly better. 

Agree re Spittal - Cornelius for me is a much harder worker and better option. 

Ditto re Johnston. He was there all the time. For me  will be better than S'OD or McGinn.

In short our younger Well Players coming through including the return of McKinstry are proving to be better than muckiest of the dross we've signed in recent years. 

Lamie and Sol know they're in the team regardless, and I'm not getting a strong feeling of either of them giving a fuck about our situation. Keeping them in the team is going to cost us a lot of games, so I'm for replacing them with whatever two warm bodies volunteer first.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Blaney (left-sided) and McGinn (right-sided) should be given the nod as the back 2 next game. The worst that happens is we lose again. 

I've never really understood the argument that centre-halves need to be opposite footed, it seems to be another modern football obsession.

Right now we just need them to be able win headers and clear the fucking ball.

The sad thing is teams must love playing us as they know they are 100% guaranteed to score, and if they go behind all anyone has to say is don’t worry this team can’t see out a win, we are absolutely rotten throughout the whole team.

A horrible watch in horrible conditions, hey why all the negativity? We actually moved up the table!! Joking aside it was disappointing but positives to take from McKinstry and Johnston. It's going to be a hard slog but 17 games left and we need fans to stay on board. If teams come to fir park and atmosphere is so negative it plays into opposition hands.   COYW

I've been a dad twice over  in the last 5 years with Covid sandwiched in the middle and life has got in the way of going to Fir Park for a bit. Probably a similar story for some of you. I've therefore not been to Fir Park in about 5 years, with my last post in here in 2017....! Sort of fallen out with football a bit, with mental home life I got a lot more into NFL which is very easy on a Sunday night when the kids are in bed. But, when other plans fell through today I thought fuck it, I'll go back to Fir Park, I know the football won't be great but at least it might be exciting and hopefully I'll catch the bug again just in time for my eldest being old enough to start going maybe next season. 

Well, it was absolutely turgid. The weather didn't do a lot to help and I don't think we should underestimate how hard it is to play in those conditions. But this team is one of the worst I've seen, possibly since the days of Tony Vaughan and David Patridge but I remember those two at least having a bit of bite about them. Having literally not been in 5 years here's my thoughts on each player...maybe indiciative of what a prospective new fan might think... 

Liam Kelly - made a few very good saves l, was impressed

Solheim and Lamie - I know they get a lot of stick but it was one mistake. Generally they looked ok 

Penney - not up to standard 

Johnson - reminded me a lot of Paul Quinn. Not the best player but will have a good career 

Mcginn, Goss and Spittal - all fairly anonymous which is probably a big issue for creativity although it's hard to be creative in that weather. Get the impression given league position this is a big issue though. 

Mckinstry - had high hopes but wasn't impressed...seemed reluctant to take a man on. Keeper should have done better for the goal.

Crankshaw - very fast but didn't seem up to standard 

Van Veen - good work for the goal but generally not impressive

In all honesty I'm not itching to get back, sad as it is to say. It's a miserable, pretty negative atmosphere, with a terrible product on the pitch. I'm not sure where I stand with it really! 

12 minutes ago, pingu said:

I've been a dad twice over  in the last 5 years with Covid sandwiched in the middle and life has got in the way of going to Fir Park for a bit. Probably a similar story for some of you. I've therefore not been to Fir Park in about 5 years, with my last post in here in 2017....! Sort of fallen out with football a bit, with mental home life I got a lot more into NFL which is very easy on a Sunday night when the kids are in bed. But, when other plans fell through today I thought fuck it, I'll go back to Fir Park, I know the football won't be great but at least it might be exciting and hopefully I'll catch the bug again just in time for my eldest being old enough to start going maybe next season. 

Well, it was absolutely turgid. The weather didn't do a lot to help and I don't think we should underestimate how hard it is to play in those conditions. But this team is one of the worst I've seen, possibly since the days of Tony Vaughan and David Patridge but I remember those two at least having a bit of bite about them. Having literally not been in 5 years here's my thoughts on each player...maybe indiciative of what a prospective new fan might think... 

Liam Kelly - made a few very good saves l, was impressed

Solheim and Lamie - I know they get a lot of stick but it was one mistake. Generally they looked ok 

Penney - not up to standard 

Johnson - reminded me a lot of Paul Quinn. Not the best player but will have a good career 

Mcginn, Goss and Spittal - all fairly anonymous which is probably a big issue for creativity although it's hard to be creative in that weather. Get the impression given league position this is a big issue though. 

Mckinstry - had high hopes but wasn't impressed...seemed reluctant to take a man on. Keeper should have done better for the goal.

Crankshaw - very fast but didn't seem up to standard 

Van Veen - good work for the goal but generally not impressive

In all honesty I'm not itching to get back, sad as it is to say. It's a miserable, pretty negative atmosphere, with a terrible product on the pitch. I'm not sure where I stand with it really! 

Yep, I've said it a few times re mkinstry, he's chipping in with goals, which isn't to be sniffed at 

I don't know if he's got that pace to take a man on , which most wingers have and flits in and out if game 

He's young and it's his first season so maybe there's a player there 

The sad fact is..............im not even getting upset at this shitshow now.

It just feels like a waste of money coming along each week to watch this.

Gutted to say I have zero faith Hammy can turn this around, im soooooo bored of his pre and post match interviews as well as his tactics.

Sol and Lamie should never turn out for Motherwell again, utter garbage, i honestly think folk forget how bad Lambie was prior to scoring that goal at the end of last season....................he was jumping ship and would rather have played for DUNDEE!!!!!!!!!!! Until they got relegated, says what type of guy we have for the fight!!!!

the kilmarnock game was a " 3 pointer at home " we got 1

the hibs game , they hadnt won in 7  we think  " 3 pointer at home " we got f/all 

ross co game  they havent won in ?? havent even feckin scored in ? matches, this is  a massive " 6 pointer at home "

we got 1 point  and they broke there  duck by scoring ffs man we say our next fixture is against ? and winnable  but really are any of our games at the moment winnable,   if i was dick campbell next week i would play long fecking route 1 football right up lamie and sols arses get bobby linn ( the dustbin man in dundee who will have done 5 hard shifts by then ) to get fecked right intae them and not give them a minute, and eventually one of them will gift him a chance,   rant over fuckin disgusted with that and as previously said on here maybe SH  should start taking ownership instead of talking pish about it   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

Seen a few folk slating Slattery however he’s playing with dog shit players. Personally he’s up there technically wise with the ball the best at the club, he was brilliant his first 6 months but after Xmas last season the whole team standards have dropped. For me the same is happening with Penney playing with the likes of Lamie and Sol next to him (Sol another who was very good in his first few months with us but now is horrendous).

Only positives for me were as said before Max Johnston, the 2 new guys looking decent and an upgrade on what we have. 2 Centre halves and a good midfielder, I’m hoping will see us by but it is worrying at the moment especially in games where we should and need to be gaining 3 points. Win next week to get some confidence and go into St Mirren and St Johnstone on a high to hopefully take 6 points.

PS thanks Hibs for the equaliser.

Spoke to someone at the club, says Slattery is the worst trainer at fir park, no doubting the guy has ability but he is major lacking fitness and doesn’t push himself to improve.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Spoke to someone at the club, says Slattery is the worst trainer at fir park, no doubting the guy has ability but he is major lacking fitness and doesn’t push himself to improve.

probably true - suspect why GA dropped him for so many months. 

If he was an outstanding footballer he'd get away with it but he isn't and at a club like ours I believe we need everyone working their arses off.

Tolerance part of our problem,  we tolerate players not quite fit, we tolerate same mistakes from Sol/Lammie,  causing us goals every week.

I know this is rose coloured specs but under McLean some of these guys would have their arses kicked and dropped/shipped out.

I'd happily get rid of some of our journeymen and put faith in our youngsters. 

I read tonight’s comments and quite rightly this weeks scale goats are our centre half pairing and spittals not up to it

last week it was our whole defence and penny was shit 

the week before we should be playing tierney and mcInstry

so in conclusion from what we are now stating as a fan base our team should be : (fuck knows really) but il give it a go 

kelly

Johnston (two centre half’s apart from    Sol and lamie/ fuck knows who then) penny/odonnell

Midfield

mcinstry / slattery/ goss (altho he’s shit after today apparenty) Cornelius 

forwards

tierney/ van veen 

So next week I look forward to seeing who we then change and who is the fall guy 

crux of it is hammell has absolutely no options and is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesnt

needs short term fixes and support from our fan base and an almighty clear out in May

8 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

crux of it is hammell has absolutely no options and is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesnt

Hammell does have options. Assuming he sticks with the same set up  and he doesn't have to,  he could change personnel. Maybe in a minority of one here  but I didn't think Johnston played well today. McGinn could have played RB. Blaney could have replaced Lamie. There's 2 options for starters. Cornelius could have started in MF as could Tierney. Spittal could have been dropped. 

A few options there.

• Like 1

Johnston / Mckinstry / Tierney are good and there just starting out on their career.

Sol can leave anytine for me just a bomb scare. Lambie will do with a better player next to him

Penny has turned bad and just waiting his time out to return to Ipswich

Goss can leave anytime, Spittal is a player but not in our team

Van Veen is our only forward atm needs support/ competition

Crankshaw just first game will take time to get up to speed looked ok at times 

Todays game was a lottery with the weather conditions and can't judge anyone on that one game alone.

I feel that the midfield has been our weakness for some time now and until that's addressed we will struggle

We need a new CB is Blaney that player?, left back will be a problem again when Penny leaves. 1 or 2 Good CM players required.

We have rolled the dice and have signed a winger and a forward, albeit the forward get crap reviews from previous club supporters i'll reserve judgement