Aberdeen v Motherwell 04/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

For me the line up should be 

Oxborough

Johnson, mcginn, the new cb, furlong. 

mckinstry, spittal, Cornelius, Ollie 

aitchison, VV 

id give that a run of games in a 442 see how we get on can’t possibly get much worse can it. 

lamie and Kelly are both so off form as far as I’m concerned the second Beevis is fit I’d have him in Lamies place. Kelly I think a spell out the team may actually help him at this point. 

• Like 1

I was thinking 4-4-2 as well but with Danzaki instead of Spittal as he's much more mobile and possibly Obika instead of KvV. The old school little and large pairing upfront is something that is worth a try.

21 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I was thinking 4-4-2 as well but with Danzaki instead of Spittal as he's much more mobile and possibly Obika instead of KvV. The old school little and large pairing upfront is something that is worth a try.

I’d take danzaki he didn’t look the worst on Wednesday. I do think we need a 2 up top system

57 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

For me the line up should be 

Oxborough

Johnson, mcginn, the new cb, furlong. 

mckinstry, spittal, Cornelius, Ollie 

aitchison, VV 

id give that a run of games in a 442 see how we get on can’t possibly get much worse can it. 

lamie and Kelly are both so off form as far as I’m concerned the second Beevis is fit I’d have him in Lamies place. Kelly I think a spell out the team may actually help him at this point. 

All about opinions but Kelly and Lamie are the last 2 players in the team I’d drop right now! I actually thought Lamie played ok on Wed night. Kelly not been as good as last season but he’s hardly making blunders, and we’ve no idea how good/bad Oxborough is.

42 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

4-4-2 against an Aberdeen midfield 3/5? Overrun from the off?

I’d be matching up in the midfield with a hard press as we did earlier in the season.

Regardless of our current form, opportunity to use the crowd in our favour.

And no McGinn.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, couttsy said:

All about opinions but Kelly and Lamie are the last 2 players in the team I’d drop right now! I actually thought Lamie played ok on Wed night. Kelly not been as good as last season but he’s hardly making blunders, and we’ve no idea how good/bad Oxborough is.

My thought process with Lamie is he switches off at silly parts of the game look at some of the goals we’ve shipped and he’s at fault. I don’t rate him. The most basic thing is to stay switched on is expect that of a 28 year old cb. As for Kelly I know he’s not making blunders but he’s not filling anyone with confidence in his general performance and his distribution. Only one way to find out how good or bad oxborough is

19 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

4-4-2 against an Aberdeen midfield 3/5? Overrun from the off?

I’d be matching up in the midfield with a hard press as we did earlier in the season.

Regardless of our current form, opportunity to use the crowd in our favour.

And no McGinn.

Formations are easily flexed 442 goes to 451 or 443 or 4231 without ball. Van veen has been far too isolated recently in way team has been set up. Lots of teams are playing 442 again like Fulham last night , aston villa , few in world cup etc. Its all down to what players do with and without ball more than formations imo

I'm with you on same ploy as earlier in season where it was certainly our best performance of season for what I can remember.  Can our players do that again now their confidence is as low ? 

Don't understand your no mcginn. We have no one else to play there I don't think. If its him or furlong or odonnell then I want him.

36 minutes ago, couttsy said:

I actually thought Lamie played ok on Wed night

You and I must’ve been at different games. As is the usual for Lamie, he switched off so many times and couldn’t pass water. It was embarrassing and continually put us on the back foot. 

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Given our form and their form, if ever there was a game to score first, this is it.

Given we haven’t won a single game this season where we haven’t scored first then absolutely, but the same could be said of any game.

23 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Formations are easily flexed 442 goes to 451 or 443 or 4231 without ball. Van veen has been far too isolated recently in way team has been set up. Lots of teams are playing 442 again like Fulham last night , aston villa , few in world cup etc. Its all down to what players do with and without ball more than formations imo

I'm with you on same ploy as earlier in season where it was certainly our best performance of season for what I can remember.  Can our players do that again now their confidence is as low ? 

Don't understand your no mcginn. We have no one else to play there I don't think. If its him or furlong or odonnell then I want him.

It really isn’t difficult. He’s symptomatic of the shite produced. Lauded as a steady 7/10 week to week when he signed yet, he’s never hit that height.

Furlong signed as a left back and you’d shoehorn the ineffective McGinn? Based on what? Arbroath? Skewed thinking. 

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

Given we haven’t won a single game this season where we haven’t scored first then absolutely, but the same could be said of any game.

Fair point, but it's not every game you're playing against another team devoid of confidence with a large home support just looking for an excuse to get on their backs. And let's face it, going behind to us right now is the perfect excuse.

13 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

It really isn’t difficult. He’s symptomatic of the shite produced. Lauded as a steady 7/10 week to week when he signed yet, he’s never hit that height.

Furlong signed as a left back and you’d shoehorn the ineffective McGinn? Based on what? Arbroath? Skewed thinking. 

Can't remember him getting torn to bits by any wingers. Not saying he's been outstanding either. 

Furlong has only played u23 football .

All about opinions. 

12 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Can't remember him getting torn to bits by any wingers. Not saying he's been outstanding either. 

Furlong has only played u23 football .

All about opinions. 

You don’t have to be torn apart by wingers to be ineffective.

Well aware he’s only played u23 football, so had McKinstry. Both were brought here to play

8 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

You don’t have to be torn apart by wingers to be ineffective.

Well aware he’s only played u23 football, so had McKinstry. Both were brought here to play

correct     football is all about what you do when youv not got the ball as much as you have it ,,  in saying that it doesnt mean mcginn is a bad player, maybe just not as affective as he would be with less shite around him  , butcher should be a good signing IF he replicates the way he was at utd , as before it could be the shite around him that may drown him ,    goss slattery spittal  hopefully thee end   played most matches with no return

10 minutes ago, smiddy said:

goss slattery spittal  hopefully thee end   played most matches with no return

I don't see any of them having a future. 

Goss - very similar to how Polworth was. Decent skill but not enough to offset his lack of defensive skill or effort. 
Slattery - I'm really not sure what he offers. Don't think he's suited to a flat 3 man midfield.

Spittal - I'd prefer Cornelius or Tierney . Not sure why we signed him 

Overall the balance needs some work.  We have lots of attack minded players, for next few games Id prefer to see more in midfield and win the battles. 

A few mentioned 3-5-2 that flips into 5-3-2.  Can see that helping - albeit we need a lot more aggression and effort from the 11 men we send out. 

46 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't see any of them having a future. 

Goss - very similar to how Polworth was. Decent skill but not enough to offset his lack of defensive skill or effort. 
Slattery - I'm really not sure what he offers. Don't think he's suited to a flat 3 man midfield.

Spittal - I'd prefer Cornelius or Tierney . Not sure why we signed him 

Overall the balance needs some work.  We have lots of attack minded players, for next few games Id prefer to see more in midfield and win the battles. 

A few mentioned 3-5-2 that flips into 5-3-2.  Can see that helping - albeit we need a lot more aggression and effort from the 11 men we send out. 

goss  no worth talking bout

slattery   no worth talking about

slattery  no really worth talking about

they had there chances no up to the fight  you dont want shysters in the trenches with you,   just my opinion

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Oxburugh

furlong Casey Lamie Johnstone 

Mckinstry Butcher Spital Crankshaw

Obika.   KVV

thats probably the best start for me, with Aitchison Tierney coming off the bench later in the game to finish them off. COYW

Spittal yer havin a laugh btw Butcher not available 

16 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Spittal yer havin a laugh btw Butcher not available 

One of the pish three settled for Spittal as Goss and Slattery are exceptionally bad , who else do you put in, in a perfect world none of them would pull on the jersey again.🤷🏻‍♂️