How have things gotten so bad?

Col

13 hours ago, wellfan said:

I think this is spot on from the Block E boys. We’ve not just lost the last 2 games, we’ve fucking lay down and taken a beating. There are some really talented players in our squad, players I really really like both for their qualities on the pitch and the type of guys they are off the pitch but no one is standing up at the moment. No one is fighting for us. That needs to change immediately.

1 hour ago, Col said:

I think this is spot on from the Block E boys. We’ve not just lost the last 2 games, we’ve fucking lay down and taken a beating. There are some really talented players in our squad, players I really really like both for their qualities on the pitch and the type of guys they are off the pitch but no one is standing up at the moment. No one is fighting for us. That needs to change immediately.

I have no doubt the banners were well intended, but the days of clubs retaining players for years to develop a "passion for the badge" as they put it are long gone. As has been stated in another thread our squad is full of journey men players here for a year or two then moving on "pride and professionalism" would be a better slogan. But that said fair play to the block E lads, if nothing else it shows how the supporters are thinking just now.

20 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I have no doubt the banners were well intended, but the days of clubs retaining players for years to develop a "passion for the badge" as they put it are long gone. As has been stated in another thread our squad is full of journey men players here for a year or two then moving on "pride and professionalism" would be a better slogan. But that said fair play to the block E lads, if nothing else it shows how the supporters are thinking just now.

Couldnt agree more and why I feel we need to retain somewhere our legends i.e hammell,clarkson,lasley,craigan etc etc. Because if we dont have ex players like these somewhere in the building then the real problems will begin. Jobs for the boys may be relevant sometimes however none of us really know who is best man for the job in numerous roles and I for one feel better if said person in role has some connection to us. 

On 2/6/2023 at 5:03 PM, weeyin said:

The Reserve league has been a shambles since it was revived and I don't think the cancellations are generally anything to do with us.

It truly has.  A huge step backwards, which is the only way Scottish football seems to go these days. 

It's almost as if Rangers and Celtic can get to play their colt teams in the Lowland League and everyone else can go to hell.

53 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's almost as if Rangers and Celtic can get to play their colt teams in the Lowland League and everyone else can go to hell.

That's the way of things in Scottish football the SFA and SPFL are only interested in the ugly sisters and always have been, every decision taken, league structure, TV deals etc are geared up to benefit those two first.

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That's the way of things in Scottish football the SFA and SPFL are only interested in the ugly sisters and always have been, every decision taken, league structure, TV deals etc are geared up to benefit those two first.

The result of denominational schools still being a thing in the 21st century, and before. We need a complete reboot as a society. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We're just one of a few teams this season who aren't performing. We've replaced good and decent players with others who aren't as good. 

In the past we were lucky enough to be able to identify players who were within our budget, and who fit together well as a team and who managed to stay relatively fit for much of the season. While luck alone certainly doesn't determine who stays up and who goes down, it does play a part.

This season we've missed the likes of Jake Carroll, Bevis Mugabi, Nathan McGinley, and Joe Efford through injury for long spells. We signed Moult which didn't work out, and we've signed both Blaney and Mandron who almost immediately got injured. A lot of that is down to bad luck, probably coupled with questions over our fitness and coaching staff, but it's all been factors in where we are this season.

If you listen to Callum Davidson talking last season when St Johnstone were facing a relegation scrap he talked at length about injuries, bad luck and so on. No team finds themselves in our position without those aspects being a factor.

I've seen people talking about an experienced manager being the answer. Derek McInnes and Malky Mackay are two of the more experienced and savvy operators in the league yet they're down here alongside us fighting it out for survival. 

There is no singular and simple answer to this. It's a mixture of different factors that all clubs who find themselves in a relegation battle face. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, Col said:

Losing to St Johnstone in midweek was a morale hammer blow. I’m looking at the state of the club and I can’t believe the state we are in.

For the last decade or so I’ve proudly claimed we were the best run wee club in the UK. We punched above our weight in league and cup competitions, we developed great young talent and we fought against our financial limitations to build and rebuild sides season after season to compete. We always seemed to be a place players would thrive, when they left they were a much better version of the player that arrived and we’d benefit from their development.

Off the pitch our social media and fan/community interactions were head and shoulders above any other side. We had club blood running though every aspect of the club and in Alan Burrows we had what every football fan in the world wants, their club ran by one of us. Not just one of us but a Well fan who also happened to be a fantastic Chief Exec.

Now the club is unrecognisable to me. On the pitch no one is thriving, players are all getting worse it’s most obvious when we bring in a new addition. Matt Penney for example, he came in and was levels above, won consecutive POTMs but before he left his form had slumped. Same with McGinn, he came in and was a breath of fresh air but he’s a shadow of the player he was 4-5 months ago. Even Kelly, whom I firmly believe is the best Scottish Goalkeeper, has gone from making world class saves several times a game to the wet paper bag that conceded the second against St Johnstone and the near post shocker against St Mirren. Who’s working hard? Who’s fighting for us or for the manager? 

Off the pitch Alan’s stepping down. I’m honestly heartbroken he’s going. No one has done more for our club than Alan in my lifetime. We don’t know why he’s going. I hope it’s because he’s got a massive job offer somewhere but it could be because he doesn’t want to do it anymore, that would kill me. The only way is down from here, we’ll never find another Alan Burrows.

As for our social media/comms we’ve gone from fully engaged with our fan base to KGB levels of secrecy and silence. Even basic information is withheld now. We don’t hear about how long injured players are out for. I went weeks checking team sheets looking for Moult to come back from injury only to find out from Twitter that he was back with Burton. There’s nothing in the pre and post match media, it could literally be the same videos every week. Contrast this period with the month or so before Robbo resigned. Robbo was a broken man, he was killing himself to turn it round and was demented that it wasn’t happening. What do we see from Hammy? He’s ‘disappointed’ and he’s got an itchy forehead. This is the time we need to hear things like he’s given them a bollocking, that he’s going to make changes to the starting 11 or tactics. That they are having them in on their day off for extra training, fucking anything at this point.

everything feels like it’s falling apart and I can’t see how we get out of this.

Col

Scunnered at the situation within the club. That could've been the reason for Penney's drop in form. Slip it in to midfield and they take that long to decide what to do the momentum is lost. Central defenders should take at the very most 3 touches. 2 normally. Watch ours. Opposition defense is set before they've made their mind up. Look how quick Raith broke. 

Personal view is recruitment has been abysmal .

Injuries are an excuse .The players who are injured , none of them were rated as good enough for starting 11 . All of them have significant shortfalls .

head of recruitment should be chased out the club . We’re quick enough to sack managers we should be equally blunt with recruitment team .

overall we lack quality - that’s why we’ve only won a handful of games in 12 months 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Personal view is recruitment has been abysmal .

Injuries are an excuse .The players who are injured , none of them were rated as good enough for starting 11 . All of them have significant shortfalls .

head of recruitment should be chased out the club . We’re quick enough to sack managers we should be equally blunt with recruitment team .

overall we lack quality - that’s why we’ve only won a handful of games in 12 months 

Agreed. And have said so a lot recently. Foyle was head and shoulders above Daws. 

Ahem…

23 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

been told by a decent source in the club of a EK based individual approaching the club in regards to investment . hopeful this could be the silver lining we have been looking for although its prob just a load of shite and i can go back to worrying about being relegated tomorrow night

EK based    but of saudi origin,          gone yircell big   SHAKEMASHAMMY :):):)

29 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

been told by a decent source in the club of a EK based individual approaching the club in regards to investment . hopeful this could be the silver lining we have been looking for although its prob just a load of shite and i can go back to worrying about being relegated tomorrow night

Probably somebody from EK enquiring about joining the Well Society

I’ve no doubt Liverpool fans are going ape shit on forums about tonight, the fact they’re 8th in the league sandwiched between Brighton and Brentford on the same points and how poor they’ve played this season but at the end of the game tonight after what they’d just seen they still sang and supported the team. Fair play to them and maybe something some of our fans could learn from. 

11 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

I’ve no doubt Liverpool fans are going ape shit on forums about tonight, the fact they’re 8th in the league sandwiched between Brighton and Brentford on the same points and how poor they’ve played this season but at the end of the game tonight after what they’d just seen they still sang and supported the team. Fair play to them and maybe something some of our fans could learn from. 

The difference between Motherwell and Liverpool is that the latter team is not at risk of relegation. If that were a Premier League match and they were sitting in the drop zone, I don't think the fans would be as supportive and in song as they were tonight in the Champions League!