Motherwell v St Mirren 16/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

8 minutes ago, Benson said:

Yeah a competent manager,one that will change the playing staff into winners, ye can't polish a turd,the recruitment is a huge problem 

I don't disagree with your recruitment comment. If you look elsewhere on the forum, you'll see me moaning about Nick Daws. He and several of the players recruited in the past couple of years are part of the problem created by Alexander and the Board. The fact is that the squad is bloated with absolute shite. We desperately need an experienced manager to drag them over the finish line before kicking them all into the abyss at the end of the season. 

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I don't disagree with your recruitment comment. If you look elsewhere on the forum, you'll see me moaning about Nick Daws. He and several of the players recruited in the past couple of years are part of the problem created by Alexander and the Board. The fact is that the squad is bloated with absolute shite. We desperately need an experienced manager to drag them over the finish line before kicking them all into the abyss at the end of the season. 

Spot on,the recruitment has been dire over the last couple of years especially and all the while our expenditure has gone up,we really have wasted some amount of money on absolute dross.it looks like we have took our eye off the ball and don't really have much of a plan when it comes to recruitment,take Josh morris for example,a 31 year old lower league player with no resale value should not be here on a 2 year contract.the whole club is needing a reset with recruitment process high on the list.

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I just hope that Mr Kettlewell would NOT pick Danzaki/Obika/O’Donnell/Kelly for Wednesday night, I am afraid Kelly needs to be dropped.

should have dropped kelly round about arbroath time  ffs we dont even know if the other goalie is a randolph or a feckin chapman

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Key is sifting through this bunch and finding the best 11.  For me include Kelly, Johnstone, McKinstry, KVV start but who else we pick to get to 11 isn't easy or obvious. 

Aye, and you’ve cut right to the heart of the problem.

I don’t subscribe to the theory (admittedly held by many) that the players “downed tools” on Hammell.  Although as the chairman alluded to in his statement of yesterday evening, there were a number of factors that led to Hammell’s demise, I believe that there were essentially two main ones that led to this whole sorry business:-

1. I believe most of the players at the club at present have been trying. But, the simple truth is, that they are just very poor footballers. Anybody who seriously thinks that this rag and bobtail bunch have the capability of “turning it on and off” when it suits them is greatly deluded.

2. Some managers have the skill set required to organise, motivate and squeeze a bit of improvement out of such footballers. However, we had a rookie manager in his first job who patently lacked such a skill set and was incapable of learning and acquiring it.

I think when these two factors are put together, it’s not hard to see and understand how we have gotten to where we are.

The Board must now try to ensure that whoever they appoint next has the desire and ability to coach, organise and motivate poor quality players and begin rebuilding through gradually improving the quality of players at the club. The last manager we had who was able to do that was Tommy McLean and that is now almost 30 years ago!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Aye, and you’ve cut right to the heart of the problem.

I don’t subscribe to the theory (admittedly held by many) that the players “downed tools” on Hammell.  Although as the chairman alluded to in his statement of yesterday evening, there were a number of factors that led to Hammell’s demise, I believe that there were essentially two main ones that led to this whole sorry business:-

1. I believe most of the players at the club at present have been trying. But, the simple truth is, that they are just very poor footballers. Anybody who seriously thinks that this rag and bobtail bunch have the capability of “turning it on and off” when it suits them is greatly deluded.

2. Some managers have the skill set required to organise, motivate and squeeze a bit of improvement out of such footballers. However, we had a rookie manager in his first job who patently lacked such a skill set and was incapable of learning and acquiring it.

I think when these two factors are put together, it’s not hard to see and understand how we have gotten to where we are.

The Board must now try to ensure that whoever they appoint next has the desire and ability to coach, organise and motivate poor quality players and begin rebuilding through gradually improving the quality of players at the club. The last manager we had who was able to do that was Tommy McLean and that is now almost 30 years ago!

Well said @El Grew.  You simply can't make thoroughbreds out of sheltland ponies.

Players want to win, confidence is a major factor in all walks of life, football more than most. The habit of winning or losing.

What I did like about Maclean's teams back in the day is we would perhaps have 1 or 2 bad games but never 3 back to back. He would fire a rocket up their backsides and I'd dearly love for someone of this capability. 

What is exciting is some of the names that are being mentioned in the media.  Appreciate speculation but likes of Healy, McCann, Ross, Goodwin all have decent pedigree and could be good for the long term future.   Hammell's vision about bringing in youth was the right long term plan, we need this vision and a   manager with an eye for a player and the ability to flex how we play to find ways of winning. 

18 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Any of our injuries going to miraculously heal in the next couple of days?

I wonder why we as a Club are so prone to having so many injured players at any one time...

Is it because we're just unlucky?

or

Is it because the players we recruit aren't fit enough or made to train hard enough to build the tolerance required to support them through the rigours of being an elite-level player?

or 

Otherwise?