Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

Goodwin hasn't really been particularly successful. I looked up Jack Ross and he seems to have been decent at both st mirren and hibs, as far as win percentage goes, but that may include st mirren's promotion. Both at least have experience, but have recently shown a lack of ability to do the very thing we need them to come in and do. The last thing we need is someone else adding to the stink of failure that's going around.

All signs seem to be pointing to lambert, who hasn't managed for 2 years, but has 16 years experience at good levels to draw on. I'd assume ex accies manager Stuart Taylor would be assistant. He also fits the ex St Mirren mould, so the bit can continue.

Where is this Lambert rumour coming from?

I know he was linked in the summer, but I assumed that was just agent/paper talk to get his name back in the public domain again.

Id be very surprised if we could afford him and that he would be interested at dropping down to our level.

Unless of course he just isnt getting a sniff at bigger jobs and is desperate to get back into the game anywhere he can.

Pretty sure kettlewell was a successfull youth coach at county before he managed them, and he came to us to fill the open position of head of youth. I don't think there is any more to his appointment than that.

Also, apparently he isn't interested in full time management for job security and media reasons. 

45 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Where is this Lambert rumour coming from?

I know he was linked in the summer, but I assumed that was just agent/paper talk to get his name back in the public domain again.

I'd be very surprised if we could afford him and if he would be interested at dropping down to our level.

Unless of course he just isnt getting a sniff at bigger jobs and is desperate to get back into the game anywhere he can.

We could be as good for Lambert as he could be for us, if it all worked out that is. I don't imagine he wants a job at our level, but I would think he needs a job at this level to prove himself again. We need someone with experience and something to prove, which may be Lambert. Without that, where does the fight come from? Certainly not from the players, as they've proved time and time again. 

One things for certain there is going to be a huge clear out at the end of the season. All those on loan will probably be binned along with those end of contract. New manager will want to distance himself from players rumoured to have downed tools for another manager who was subsequently sacked. I know I would.

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

One things for certain there is going to be a huge clear out at the end of the season. All those on loan will probably be binned along with those end of contract. New manager will want to distance himself from players rumoured to have downed tools for another manager who was subsequently sacked. I know I would.

Yep, and if we're relegated the clear out will be even bigger. 

5 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I just hope the board get it right this time, don't want a case of Sarge?....no ...... Rosemary the telephone operator?.....no.......Penry the mild mannered janitor?....COULD BE!!!

Anyone under age of 30 will have no idea what I am Wittering on about.... anyone over 30 just shaking their head.

COYW

That’s a lot of phooey Hong Kong style.

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Its obvious that Kettlewell was brought in should things go tits up now whether thats turned sour i don't know but i would have expected him to have had more input over the last few months than he appears to have had.

kettlewell on BBC radio scotland today at the dundee cove game                   i would have had the bastards in at 8 this morn fuckin running till they spewed

• Like 1

This topic can be a laugh when the job is still open: it's like a shooting gallery with pot shots at every name that comes up.

What worries me though is how you get a dressing room full of players who don't show any guts or leadership. How does any manager get them working when they have a contract-long pay packet guarantee?

It doesn't matter who the manager is, if the players have decided they don't need to work, how do you fix that??

heres the baby, get your dough on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BIG MIXU    AND GORDON YOUNG       yous can thank me later

4 minutes ago, smiddy said:

heres the baby, get your dough on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BIG MIXU    AND GORDON YOUNG       yous can thank me later

Stay aff the glue Smiddy they two couldnae run a boys club 

I’d be amazed if both Goodwin and Ross are not shortlisted, I’d be amazed if Lambert is. If I had a choice I would go for Ross who does have a good win percentage of near 50 percent and has had success in both the first division and championship. He got Alloa promoted as he did with St Mirren. He also got Sunderland to the play off finals and was sacked with them in 6th. Hibs could have given him longer, Dundee United was a disaster but that’s Dundee United.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, well_said said:

Hardly a word salad by your standards. A braidhurst education means I have a limited vocabulary. 

Jealous!  Far from it , I've got nothing to be jealous of.

Bent out of shape , at my age I wake up every morning like that.

Yes I know you and have done for a number of years now , I used to think you were a decent bloke until I started reading some of your posts on this forum and the way you dismiss peoples opinions because they  dont agree with yours . I now think you're just a pratt that thinks he is better than everyone else.

Forums are about peoples opinions.

Weird take, but, there you go.

You don’t know me, of that I’m certain. Braidhurst link has me stumped for one.

Differ with plenty opinions on here & appreciate others debate. I do tend to discount some opinion on here, generally those with no substance. There’s usual suspects for that.

Anyway, it’s a digress from the new manager hunt. 

14 minutes ago, Fairhill said:

This topic can be a laugh when the job is still open: it's like a shooting gallery with pot shots at every name that comes up.

What worries me though is how you get a dressing room full of players who don't show any guts or leadership. How does any manager get them working when they have a contract-long pay packet guarantee?

It doesn't matter who the manager is, if the players have decided they don't need to work, how do you fix that??

As I said, perhaps give the captaincy to a new guy. One not tainted with the past 12+ months of pathetic effort. Perhaps Butcher. 

The club need to be brave with this appointment and be prepared to spend some wedge on someone (even if til the end of the season) who has some form of pedigree.

Lots of talk of wanting a hard bastard leader who can command respect and kick some arse. I just don’t see us being able to find that in Scotland.

When considering this brief, Lambert is the best of the names I’ve seen mentioned. It is worth noting that he completely lost the dressing room and the plot in general at Ipswich.

Ross has only really seen success at St Mirren. He had a large budget at Sunderland and had to settle for play offs as his best chance of getting out of League 1.

He failed, largely because he was outsmarted and outfought by his opponent and his squad that Wembley final day.

His opponent that day was Lee Bowyer. Bowyer has pedigree as a player and has a proven ability to get a lot out of not very much. He is currently out of work and would be a coup akin to the first Mark McGhee appointment back in the day.

He doesn’t need the money but he’s the sort of bloke that could be sold a challenge 

There's a lot being said about what a new manager should be (including from me), but how about we talk about the absolute wage thieves in the squad? I say that with the caveat that some are just fucking shite and that's not their fault, but several others need to stand up or fuck off. 

• Like 1

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread