Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

7 minutes ago, well_said said:

I dont know why we are discussing this , as our next manager is living in plain sight on these very forums.

Step forward  ON THE FRINGES    , he has all the answers , he's a tactical wizard, has inside info straight from the dressing room .

The press conferences would be hilarious , he would blind the journos with big words and word salad answers.

I have heard that Fergie used to phone him for advice. No not Sir Alex but the now deceased Hamilton accies jakeball.

Or we could go for Mike Bassett. No difference I suppose .

:locomotive:Good choice mate  :sarcastic:

25 minutes ago, star sail said:

The ability to organise the team, motivate them and manage any dressing room splits will be the same whether embroiled in a relegation battle or fighting to win the league.

I found it interesting in the summer when names like Lennon, Lambert, Mackay were being written off by some as not good enough. It is proof positive that no matter who our board appoint, it will not be met with universal enthusiasm.

I know that Neil Lennon is a particularly polarising character but a man who has significant Champions League experience as well as a few league titles under his belt, certainly has the experience and skill set to manage Motherwell.

No appointment is going to ensure our league survival but NL would give us a better chance than most. Tax issues aside however, I don't think Motherwell could offer a manager of that experience enough to make it enticing. 

The stars may aline with Lambert given that he has a history with the club and is looking to build his reputation again. A man with 14-15 years experience in the top flight in England is a man we should be delighted to welcome to Motherwell.

I scratch my head sometimes when these names are written off as not suitable.

Neil Lennon cannot work in the UK before April or will require to pay HMRC a hefty wedge. He will not be coming here

I would be on the blower to Linfield try to get David Healy been in management now for 7 years and coming from the market we seem to be dipping into for transfers be perfect for us.

On Goodwin and Ross those just because it doesn't  work somewhere else doesn't mean they wont work with us be more than happy to have them.Lambert just not feeling it must be a reason he has been out of the game down South for 2 years comes across pretty head up his own arse if i am honest.

This is a crucial appointment for the club bringing in a manager who has the experience and man management skills to keep us up, but is also willing to stay longer term and restructure the team on reduced budgets etc in the championship should this seasons relegation battle go Pete Tong.

Irrespective of whether we stay up or not the club needs a complete overhaul and restructure to get us on a stable footing. I would like to see the new manager get a chance to build a team, develop the academy players etc instead of the constant churn of dross players we have been going through in recent seasons, quality over quantity is the key.

As for the managerial candidates, Goodwin and Ross are good shouts they know the league and Scottish football well, not sure about Lambert. As for Neil Lennon, it would be a bold appointment given the baggage that comes with him but for me he is a decent coach and would certainly get the team playing and weed out the dross.

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Irrespective of whether we stay up or not the club needs a complete overhaul and restructure to get us on a stable footing. I would like to see the new manager get a chance to build a team, develop the academy players etc instead of the constant churn of dross players we have been going through in recent seasons, quality over quantity is the key.

Agreed Allan. The events of the past year and in particular over the past month or two have demonstrated that. For various reasons there's been a lack of leadership.

13 hours ago, mio said:

Levein?

Are you serious?

FHW!

Have you forgotten how dirty a team they were with him in it and how John Robertson used to score against us and John Colquhoun used to dive and how their fans used to bounce us off the pavements on Gorgie Rd back in the day? Not to mention 4-6-0 with Scotland!*

* he would be my choice too in all seriousness, even if just til the end of the season to try and keep us up.

52 minutes ago, MJC said:

Are you serious?

FHW!

Have you forgotten how dirty a team they were with him in it and how John Robertson used to score against us and John Colquhoun used to dive and how their fans used to bounce us off the pavements on Gorgie Rd back in the day? Not to mention 4-6-0 with Scotland!*

* he would be my choice too in all seriousness, even if just til the end of the season to try and keep us up.

Yep, decent shout, make us hard to beat

1 hour ago, well_said said:

I dont know why we are discussing this , as our next manager is living in plain sight on these very forums.

Step forward  ON THE FRINGES    , he has all the answers , he's a tactical wizard, has inside info straight from the dressing room .

The press conferences would be hilarious , he would blind the journos with big words and word salad answers.

I have heard that Fergie used to phone him for advice. No not Sir Alex but the now deceased Hamilton accies jakeball.

Yep, " word salad" , I said riddles but word salad is better.

32 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Nathan Jones been sacked by Southampton.....no thank you ..that wouldn't be a Supreme appointment!! Ba boom

"Things are changing" at the club, if Kettlewell says "I'll try something new" then on "reflection" we might keep in "Touch" with the pack, otherwise it will be "nothing but heartaches"   I thank you

• Haha 1

Just now, steeldrew said:

I think anyone suggesting Jack Ross or Jim Goodwin is off their head. Two managers who this season have lost their respective dressing rooms. We need someone who will command respect and make an instant impact. Easier said than done, I know. 

Sometimes managers just have a bad move. Their record at other clubs was decent.  Motherwell could be a better fit but who knows

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeldrew said:

I think anyone suggesting Jack Ross or Jim Goodwin is off their head. Two managers who this season have lost their respective dressing rooms. We need someone who will command respect and make an instant impact. Easier said than done, I know. 

DICK CAMPBELL             and when we go down   he will know the leagues   :)

1 hour ago, well_said said:

Word salad? Pot. Kettle. Black.

Honestly don’t know what I’ve done that you’ve awoken bent out of shape over the clubs’ search for a manager.

is it a jealousy thing? Let it go. Nobody’s claimed to be a tactical wizard or have I ever asked for info straight from the dressing room. You don’t even have to scrape the surface to find out… It’s easily corroborated and can be backed up every time.

Not the first time you’ve made silly claim.  So if you think you know me as I suspect you do, stop in the passing and bend my ear.

34 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Honestly don’t know what I’ve done that you’ve awoken bent out of shape over the clubs’ search for a manager.

is it a jealousy thing? Let it go. Nobody’s claimed to be a tactical wizard or have I ever asked for info straight from the dressing room. You don’t even have to scrape the surface to find out… It’s easily corroborated and can be backed up every time.

Not the first time you’ve made silly claim.  So if you think you know me as I suspect you do, stop in the passing and bend my ear.

Hardly a word salad by your standards. A braidhurst education means I have a limited vocabulary. 

Jealous!  Far from it , I've got nothing to be jealous of.

Bent out of shape , at my age I wake up every morning like that.

Yes I know you and have done for a number of years now , I used to think you were a decent bloke until I started reading some of your posts on this forum and the way you dismiss peoples opinions because they  dont agree with yours . I now think you're just a pratt that thinks he is better than everyone else.

Forums are about peoples opinions.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Screenshot_2023-02-12-13-00-54-97_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Haha 1

The club custodians have a lot to answer for.  They have thrown a club legend to the lions because they can't do their own job.

The events around Alexander leaving the club showed they were spineless.

Appointing a completely inexperienced manager under those circumstances was idiotic.

Burrows leaving when and how he did is also very suspect.

We also need to have a long and serious look at who is identifying signing targets.  The vast majority of our signings have been dire going back probably as far as McGhee's second spell.   There is also the fact that players have been linked with us under managers and then signed under different managers.  I don't believe for a minute Hammell did anything other than OK this latest batch out of desperation.  

Coaching at the club stinks.  Youth development stinks.  Players aren't organised and can't do basics.  Why do we have so many players, over four or five seasons now, THAT CAN'T MAKE A SIMPLE PASS.

The players can also hang their head in shame.  Guys like Kelly, O'Donnell, Slattery, Van Veen, Lamie etc, players that should have been the spine of our team are too busy crying on telly, to stand up and give us some leadership.  They are boys masquerading as men.  Show some fucking balls!

There are still a lot of points on offer and it's important not to relegate ourselves by throwing in the towel.  However, everyone over there Fir Park needs to up their game and there cannot be any further catastrophes.  We have three months to get this ship back on course and there should be no further excuses for not doing so.

55 minutes ago, steeldrew said:

They have both had success at previous clubs. Aberdeen have been a basket  case of a club for years so I tend to ignore them, no idea if anyone will work there. Maybe neither will apply but I don’t think they can be discounted. I would rather that than just a list of the usual suspects that have managed for donkeys years and get mentioned every time a job is available. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Sometimes managers just have a bad move. Their record at other clubs was decent.  Motherwell could be a better fit but who knows

Spot on, they are 2 managers with recent experience of the league we're in I'd rather have them in than the likes of Lambert who's been out of management for years and knows feck all about the current Scottish game. 

• Thanks 1

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread