Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't think it would take much to win them over. (if it even exists rather than speculation )

Best manager in last 50 years- Mclean.
Best signing in last 50 years - Cooper.

Don't forget Bobby Russell who was also a huge factor in our transition from "park the bus and saved from relegation by league reconstruction" to glorious cup winning side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Ok so lets see, we sack our manager, who was head of youth, to bring in former juniors manager and head of youth until Dundee United did what we did and promoted him, until his head got so big he thought he was a manager, went abroad and made a James Hunt of it. NAW!!!!!!!, the club needs a strong minded person with the ability to get players working, no someone called Tam who says call me Thomas. Yir having a laugh. 

I'm not sure if Tam Courts is the manager we need right now (ie relegation dog fight) but I'd put him above either of the others.

And the difference between Tam Courts and Hammell is that he did quite well as a manager including good performances against the OF (3 draws and a win) and finished 4th in the league whereas Hammell, eh, didn't.

9 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Quite correct STEVEN didn't, but THOMAS doesn't exactly have a resounding CV. Can just see the first meeting, hi lads I'm THOMAS, was a shite player, got lucky at Dundee United, si here is my plan. 29 players, F off THOMAS!!!!! 

4 results in a season against the OF and 4th place in his one and only season = 'doesn't exactly have a resounding CV'.  Also look at where Dundee Utd were pre Courts and post Courts.

What calibre of manager do you think we are going to attract?  I'm not even sure Courts would come here with his not resounding CV.  He might feel 4th place Dundee Utd to 11th place Motherwell might be too much of a step down.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Welcome to 21st Century Scottish Football where new manager discussions still involve the question "Is he a Rangers man?"

Reminds me of when growing up in Hamilton as a Well fan. So many discussions at school were

"so when rangers play Celtic who do you want to win?".....me"neither, I'm a well fan"............."Aye...but if you had to pick one....who would you pick?".....me."neither ....what part of I'm a well fan do you not grasp?"

I know this season has been torture but I am so glad my Dad was a Well fan and had me going to games from 5yrs old.

COYW

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Ok so lets see, we sack our manager, who was head of youth, to bring in former juniors manager and head of youth until Dundee United did what we did and promoted him, until his head got so big he thought he was a manager, went abroad and made a James Hunt of it. NAW!!!!!!!, the club needs a strong minded person with the ability to get players working, no someone called Tam who says call me Thomas. Yir having a laugh. 

Is all that factually correct, important if we are assessing someone.

I said all along Simo Valakari was who i wanted to replace Alexander however with the current heap of names being mentioned id take Goodwin or Ross unless Lambert decides he wants to come save us. If were going to appoint someone outside the box suspect Mark Fotheringham will be the man

7 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I personally don't think we should be appointing someone until the end of the season. I think we should be aiming to get someone in to keep us in the league and build for the future at the same time. There are plenty of managers out there who are capable of doing both and I don't see why it has to be choosing a manger to keep us up or choosing a manager for long term.

Guys like Tam Courts & Jack Ross are reasonable candidates.

Tommy Wright, John fucking Hughes and complete randoms like Dwight Yorke are absolutely not what we want or need right now.

Appreciate what you’re saying but I don’t think we can afford the time required to get the “right candidate” in for the long haul.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep agree totally. I don't care what club affiliation a person has. We have just had one of our all time appearance holders in charge and look what happened.  I was a big McCall fan but never once thought of him as ex rangers . Plus when 10 years old I saw us romp the old division one with Davie Hay (ex. Celtic).

I just want the right appointment 

Agreed.  I couldn’t care what the manager’s past playing or managerial background is. Any Motherwell supporters for whom that’s a stumbling block should find another team to support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Antrimmfc said:

Won't go down. Just have some courage on the ball. Raith played us off the park because they had players that were comfortable on the ball. They did not have better players than us just more confidence. Hot potato stuff in midfield. may lose the odd ball but it's still way better than the lump up the pitch. Get it wide and play ffs. 

🎣🎣🎣

39 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Reminds me of when growing up in Hamilton as a Well fan. So many discussions at school were

"so when rangers play Celtic who do you want to win?".....me"neither, I'm a well fan"............."Aye...but if you had to pick one....who would you pick?".....me."neither ....what part of I'm a well fan do you not grasp?"

I know this season has been torture but I am so glad my Dad was a Well fan and had me going to games from 5yrs old.

COYW

Well said Grizzlyg. I’m with you. 

34 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

I said all along Simo Valakari was who i wanted to replace Alexander however with the current heap of names being mentioned id take Goodwin or Ross unless Lambert decides he wants to come save us. If were going to appoint someone outside the box suspect Mark Fotheringham will be the man

Not sure about fotheringham, he couldn't last 6 months at Huddersfield just there. He seems to have done well as an assistant.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

Kampman is the only one I can think of that we paid a fee to another club for.

Since then it’s been; 

Billy Davies - at the club as a player

Eric Black - out of work

Terry Butcher - promoted from Assistant

Maurice Malpas - promoted from Assistant

Mark McGhee 1st time - out of work

Jim Gannon - out of work

Craig Brown - out of work

Stuart McCall - out of work

Ian Baraclough - out of work

Mark McGhee 2nd time - out of work

Stephen Robinson - promoted from coaching staff

Graham Alexander - out of work

Steven Hammell - promoted from Academy director

I think it’s safe to say that our next manager will either be out of work or promoted from within.

i tell thee all         BIG MIXU n YOUNGY are on the way :) :) :) get to the bookies

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't think it would take much to win them over. (if it even exists rather than speculation )

Best manager in last 50 years- Mclean.
Best signing in last 50 years - Cooper.

Put in contrast

Well man - Stevie Hammell,  his background was quickly forgotten. 

Some of the very best players I’ve seen at FP were from both sides of the OF:-

Bobby Watson, Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, Vic Davidson, Tommy Coyne and Brian McLaughlin.

I don’t ever recall any of them shirking it when the faced their old clubs.

Lee Bullen not been mentioned anywhere, doing a great job at Ayr on tight budget and a legend as a player and captain at Sheff Wed, interim mgr 3 times with 50% win rate at difficult periods.

Well travelled in early part if his career, wiki page really interesting.

No shrinking violet in dressing room I'll bet

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread