Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

53 minutes ago, MJC said:

I wouldn’t take anything reported by The Sun seriously, but I wouldn’t be totally against Tommy Wright getting the job just now, but only on a short term basis to try and keep us up. Long term I don’t see him as the answer for us but short term we need to try and safeguard our top flight status so an experienced head like Wright might be what we need.

The clubs future is on the line,we cant appoint wright who failed in his last relegation battle,that should be a massive red flag for the folk on the board that think wright would be a good idea.giving where we are in the table our options will be limited but the thought of appointing the likes of wright or mcpake as our saviour is pretty depressing.

14 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

Would it be worth hiring McIntyre as an assistant to kettlewell to the end of the season they seemed to work well together at county

McIntyre  was appointed manager of Premiership club Dundee on 17 October 2018.[23] McIntyre was sacked on 12 May 2019, after the club had been relegated from the Premiership.[24] McIntyre managed just 4 wins in 31 games, which gave him the worst win percentage (12.90%) of any permanent manager in the club's history until Mark McGhee's stint three years later (7.14%).

41 minutes ago, El Grew said:

BBC can’t make up its mind.

On one internet page they’ve got Tommy Wright as the favourite and on another it’s John Hughes or James McPake.

Let's be honest pretty much every manager likely to apply for the Motherwell job is going to have at least one, maybe two failures on their CV's so no matter who is selected its going to be a punt. But previous records don't mean they won't do well and be a good fit at Fir park. I hope we get someone in who is prepared to stay longer term even if the worst happens and we go down, as its going to take a few seasons to get the club stabilised and back on track.

I spoke to Tommy Wright at a Ballyclare Comrades game not long after GA beat him to the job last time and he said he was gutted not to have got the job.

He was convinced that he would have been able to stabilise the club in a more fan-friendly way than Alexander looked to likely do at the time, so I reckon he’ll be a shoe-in for it if he applies.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

I spoke to Tommy Wright at a Ballyclare Comrades game not long after GA beat him to the job last time and he said he was gutted not to have got the job.

He was convinced that he would have been able to stabilise the club in a more fan-friendly way than Alexander looked to likely do at the time, so I reckon he’ll be a shoe-in for it if he applies.

He certainly stabilised Killie. They were a solid mid-table Championship team when he left them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Throughthelaces said:

They were co managers for a few years and I think county 2018-2020 and they seemed to do okay.

They did do okay. It's only once Kettlewell was handed the reigns on his own that the wheels came off. If you look at his record there as sole manager it was very similar to Hammell's. Both had around six months in the job, both of them won the same amount of games in that timeframe, and their winning percentage was quite similar (25% for Hammell and 29% for Kettlewell). The only difference was Kettlewell was bumped when County were four points adrift at the bottom.

I've seen a few folk commenting on how he came across in that press conference. I'll tell you what, I saw Graham Alexander described as "arrogant" but Kettlewell managed to outdo him by some margin. When a manager says three times in 15 minutes "not to sound arrogant here..." you know he fancies himself as a top coach. 

The only difference, of course, is that Kettlewell has pretty much fuck-all by way of a record to back up such an attitude. Alexander had an arrogance about him, and his football was dire to watch, but his overall career win percentage is 43%, and he's guided two teams to promotion and reached a play-off and cup final down south. 

Plus guided us to a top six finish and European football. Remember those heady days? 👀

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, stv said:

Aye, when he eventually got found out.

Even the great Jurgen Klopp has been "found out" so it happens to the best of them. I'd still rather a manager who does well enough to eventually get found out than a manager who doesn't do well enough to even reach that point.

I really don't think Wright is the worst thing that could happen. It didn't work out at Killie but his record at St Johnstone was pretty incredible. I understand why people would be against him but if you're looking for an older, experienced manager with knowledge of the league and dealing with small budgets, then of course he would be on the list. He's certainly been relegated less than John Hughes.

1 minute ago, steeldrew said:

I really don't think Wright is the worst thing that could happen. It didn't work out at Killie but his record at St Johnstone was pretty incredible. I understand why people would be against him but if you're looking for an older, experienced manager with knowledge of the league and dealing with small budgets, then of course he would be on the list. He's certainly been relegated less than John Hughes.

The thing about Wright is that his last experience with Killie was the first time he was in an actual relegation situation - and he blew it.

Not only was he incapable of getting Killie out of relegation trouble, their performances in the play-off were beyond pathetic. A play-off that is set up to favour the Permiership teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The thing about Wright is that his last experience with Killie was the first time he was in an actual relegation situation - and he blew it.

Not only was he incapable of getting Killie out of relegation trouble, their performances in the play-off were beyond pathetic. A play-off that is set up to favour the Permiership teams.

Exactly my thoughts on wright,there's no way we should be going for someone that failed in his last role that was identical to the task that he faces with us.im not overly enthused with the names being linked so far but wright would be at the bottom of the pile for me.

Ketterwell might not have credentials to be our number one pick but on our budget, who has. Let’s get behind him and hope he gets a reaction out of this lazy bunch of non triers, we will judge him on his starting eleven, hope he has watched enough of us to realise that Goss, Slattery and Spital are shit and cannot start for us tonight.

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread