Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

I had a wobble after the Ross County game given the starting lineup and performance. That aside though, my support for Kettlewell largely remains. In my book, he still has a little credit in the bank for the remarkable turnaround after the Hammell disaster. The players are clearly behind him too, which is a telling factor. 

Of course though, he needs to get the monkey off his back with a win and ideally pick up minimum 4-6 points between now and 2nd Jan to keep himself in a job and readdress the balance of the squad during the window after a poor summer spend.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2023 at 5:26 PM, Lobey_Dosser said:

I had a wobble after the Ross County game given the starting lineup and performance. That aside though, my support for Kettlewell largely remains. In my book, he still has a little credit in the bank for the remarkable turnaround after the Hammell disaster. The players are clearly behind him too, which is a telling factor. 

Of course though, he needs to get the monkey off his back with a win and ideally pick up minimum 4-6 points between now and 2nd Jan to keep himself in a job and readdress the balance of the squad during the window after a poor summer spend.

I'm pro Kettlewell, in the sense that I think constantly firing managers is one of the factors that's taking the club backwards.

However, let's be honest about this, we have to beat Livingston.

We can't go 17 without a win and then fail to beat Livingston at home. 

• Like 1

With the announcements this week it will be very difficult to sack the manager. No chairman, no CEO, no money, not announced whatever the cunning initiatives are. 

Having some continuity will be desired. Appreciate if we don't find a win before the NY it becomes difficult to justify but there's a clear mantra being pumped through social media and beyond about being in it together.

The club really won't want to have to sack the manager at this moment in time. 

5 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

With the announcements this week it will be very difficult to sack the manager. No chairman, no CEO, no money, not announced whatever the cunning initiatives are. 

Having some continuity will be desired. Appreciate if we don't find a win before the NY it becomes difficult to justify but there's a clear mantra being pumped through social media and beyond about being in it together.

The club really won't want to have to sack the manager at this moment in time. 

Currently, we do have a chairman, CEO and our club is not in financial trouble. Sacking the manager is never ideal but if things deteriorate even further on the pitch then the Board will act. The directors have the legal duty to act in the best interests of the club.

Normally I'd be of the mind that if things don't improve soon we should be looking to make changes, but this time I'm not thinking that way.

In the past, I had reasons to think someone new could change things. I believed that the manager was either too inexperienced and in over his head, had lost the support of the players, or was misusing the squad.

This time? I think none of the above.

I think Kettlewell has the full support of the players. I think he's utilising the squad as best he can. I don't see how a new guy is going to come in and do anything different.

Unfortunately, we just don't have a very good team this time around. I think our squad is the 11th best in the division, and our league position reflects that.

The only way out of this is for the team to keep plugging away, and for the manager and coaching staff to get things right in the January window. The management team in place just now will have a far better idea of what's needed in January than a new guy coming in will, as he'll need time to assess the squad.

A few decent signings in January could be enough I think.

24 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If we get beat on Sunday he has to go. 

Based on my belief that Kettlewell is invincible because the Board doesn't want to or can't afford to act, here are my three views:

1. Rangers will thump us, scoring at least one penalty.
  2. Kettlewell will still be the manager in January.
  3. Fuck VAR.

59 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Absolutely no chance.

If he loses on Sunday, against Aberdeen away AND Livvy at home, then the pressure will be insurmountable.

But there is clearly no appetite on the board to change the manager or he would have been gone after the County game.

I think the last roll of the dice for him will be the January window. If he can get a squad together that is more capable of dragging us up the table after the window closes then he should be fine.

For now.

His contract is up at the end of the season, and I think some real questions will need to be asked at that point.

26 minutes ago, David said:

I think the last roll of the dice for him will be the January window. If he can get a squad together that is more capable of dragging us up the table after the window closes then he should be fine.

Given his dealings in the summer window, what makes you think that we should give him the January window? That's assuming of course that we fail to win our remaining 3 games of this year. 

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Given his dealings in the summer window, what makes you think that we should give him the January window? That's assuming of course that we fail to win our remaining 3 games of this year. 

Because he's our manager. If the club have zero faith in his recruitment abilities he should have been dismissed a long time ago.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Pish we need stability we are very unlikely to have a new manager In place till after the transfer window closes, so anybody new will still be working with the dross we have now.

The situation is not desperate just now , but not far off it, let's see who we can bring in during the window and give SK a change to see what he's really made of and get us winning again.

We are only 2 or 3 wins away from bothering the Euro spots so no need for panic or tsunami pant wetting just yet.

Dawes should be out the door. I rather move him on than SK.   

Was looking at some of the players we had on our books not long before Dawes took over. Carson, Gillespie, Aldred, Gallagher, Watt , Turnbull, Campbell .

Crikey even likes of Cole, Long, Grimshaw and Donnelly begin to look decent compared to some of our most recent signings. 

I'm stunned he's not been released. He's cost us a fortune. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Dawes should be out the door. I rather move him on than SK.   

Was looking at some of the players we had on our books not long before Dawes took over. Carson, Gillespie, Aldred, Gallagher, Watt , Turnbull, Campbell .

Crikey even likes of Cole, Long, Grimshaw and Donnelly begin to look decent compared to some of our most recent signings. 

I'm stunned he's not been released. He's cost us a fortune. 

100% agree. We can swap out the managers constantly all we like, but until the recruitment is dealt with nothing much will change.

54 minutes ago, David said:

100% agree. We can swap out the managers constantly all we like, but until the recruitment is dealt with nothing much will change.

I agree with this. If Kettlewell somehow survives several more defeats & draws, then Daws has to go before the January window if Kettlewell is to get a fair chance to prove himself to the Board and fans. 

However, the whole ‘hanging my hat’ nonsense gives me little faith in his ability to identify and sign the type of players required to improve us. 

In the end, it may be that they both need to be relieved of their duties before the next window, which is highly unlikely given that the Board seems to be focusing its energies on a transition plan and ignoring the reality of our current awful run. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

If he fails to win for the 15th consecutive match he should be away to give us time to prepare for Livi without him stinking the place out. 

Nah. Not having that.

You have to take the context of who the opposition is and factor that into the equation.

He hasnt been sacked at this stage and we havent beat Rangers in a league game for 20 years. So expecting SK and this team to do so at the wrong end of this run is just mental.

You are more than entitled to hold the opinion that he should be gone already, but binning him for losing to Rangers is silly talk.

As I said, if we get the end of the Livvy game without a win and lose to them, then that could be terminal.

Also, the players havent chucked it yet and are still clearly playing for SK.

What happens if we sack him before the Livvy game? What kind of preparation is that. Remember the Hamilton game under Lasley?

That game is too important to be adding more turmoil into the situation.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

f he fails to win for the 15th consecutive match he should be away to give us time to prepare for Livi without him stinking the place out.

What's most important is, who will replace him? Who's available in December/January that's in our budget and willing to come in?

I'm not sure we'd get someone any better. In fact, I'm fairly sure we'd end up with Frail and Clarkson.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, David said:

What's most important is, who will replace him? Who's available in December/January that's in our budget and willing to come in?

I'm not sure we'd get someone any better. In fact, I'm fairly sure we'd end up with Frail and Clarkson.

The people wanting him gone don't know who they want, they just want change ,maybe another mgr could do something, nobody knows for sure . Please no Neil Lennon talk tho, he isn't the type of character I could get behind, he didn't win league s through good tactics, just having shitloads more money..I think it'd be foolish to change at this point

5 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

The people wanting him gone don't know who they want, they just want change ,maybe another mgr could do something, nobody knows for sure . Please no Neil Lennon talk tho, he isn't the type of character I could get behind, he didn't win league s through good tactics, just having shitloads more money..I think it'd be foolish to change at this point

After his first shot in the transfer window he should not be allowed to bring in anymore shit to the club so he has to go