The Way Forward

Kmcalpin

My last words on the Hammell era as its time to move on. Many of us had doubts when he was appointed as a rookie manager, and unfortunately they were realised. The directors also need to review their own decisons over the past year or so, but in a positive way.  Maybe changes in governance are required? Stevie Hammell should have been relieved of his duties over a month ago but the directors dithered and delayed and we've effectively lost 5 weeks in our relegation battle. The toxic atmosphere yesterday was entirely avoidable as El Grew suggested a week or so ago. 

Anyway we now have Stuart Kettlewell in charge temporarily. I hope we now headhunt a new manager and get the right man in quickly, although that won't be easy.  The players too need to step up as well. We, the fans, must do our bit and get behind the club and team. I'd make a plea to get behind the players, especially the younger ones who need encouragement. 

As others have said a lot of soul searching now required throughout the club, but we move on.

COYW.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

My last words on the Hammell era as its time to move on. Many of us had doubts when he was appointed as a rookie manager, and unfortunately they were realised. The directors also need to review their own decisons over the past year or so, but in a positive way.  Maybe changes in governance are required? Stevie Hammell should have been relieved of his duties over a month ago but the directors dithered and delayed and we've effectively lost 5 weeks in our relegation battle. The toxic atmosphere yesterday was entirely avoidable as El Grew suggested a week or so ago. 

Anyway we now have Stuart Kettlewell in charge temporarily. I hope we now headhunt a new manager and get the right man in quickly, although that won't be easy.  The players too need to step up as well. We, the fans, must do our bit and get behind the club and team. I'd make a plea to get behind the players, especially the younger ones who need encouragement. 

As others have said a lot of soul searching now required throughout the club, but we move on.

COYW.

Well said sir. This is a time when we all need to be together, starting with wed night and creating a great atmosphere......until we see the starting xi....lol

45 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

COYW.

Agree with you and we all move on.

COYW

51 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Kettlewell has a free hit on Weds night, which means he better be brave enough to try something different. I’ve no clue what our strongest starting 11 is at the moment, but I hope he does. Whatever happens, I’ll be there as usual. 

but why would he know our strongest 11  ?   heez in charge of youth development or something,  heez on the radio on a sat afternoon,     and id imagine heez not in and around the 1st team on a day to dat basis,    so ?????????????

As I mentioned previously even in my short  time supporting the club I’ve noticed a decline in the quality of players signed and even those we had six years ago took some stick, that has to be the starting point. In my opinion Martin Foyle  was a better judge of a potential player even at our budget level. With the quality of players we have now we need a manager that can work with players of a lower technical ability, keep it simple, stick with the same formation, and concentrate on fitness and organisation, everyone playing in their dedicated position if possible and knowing what’s expected of them, as with the National league down south that alone will see us picking up points. We are never going to have a huge budget but even with our crowds with the right appointments will can survive.

• Like 1

I say one thing man management shall need to be a major key in us staying up this season and moving forward but I have a confident feeling once that first W comes in we shall be able to push on from that.

The club for me need to think of the big picture though should we go down I be more than happy for a year and half contract with new manager knowing should we go down then they have the chance to bring us back up.

Onwards and upwards I shall always have Well hope although it's been kicked in the balls this season we are not out til the maths tells us and at least now we have a wee fighting chance maybe.

COYW

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Kettlewell has a free hit on Weds night, which means he better be brave enough to try something different. I’ve no clue what our strongest starting 11 is at the moment, but I hope he does. Whatever happens, I’ll be there as usual. 

It's easy enough to see who fails every time when they come in or contribute nothing over a long period of selection.

I feel sorry for Hammell cos I think he was put in a very difficult position but, well, the fact is he picked O'Donnell yesterday, and that's almost a sacking offense in itself.

Let's stop trusting guys who have let us down time and time again.

2 hours ago, smiddy said:

but why would he know our strongest 11  ?   heez in charge of youth development or something,  heez on the radio on a sat afternoon,     and id imagine heez not in and around the 1st team on a day to dat basis,    so ?????????????

And this is why I’ll be incredibly disappointed if they give him the job permanently. It’ll repeat the same cycle of shit we’ve just experienced. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I would still prefer longer term thinking with the manager we appoint being the one to try and bring us back up should we be relegated. But it needs to be the right appointment.

One of the problems now is who are we appointing?

Someone to save our ass?  Someone who's progressive going forward?  Someone who can keep us trundling along in the top level.  Someone that can get us up next season, if relegated?

Most likely it's the first one, which means going forward we might not have the right guy in anything other than the very short term.

I don't think we're in the position to offer a new manager anything other than a short-term contract to the end of the season. If we offer them an 18-month deal, it has to be with a clause that they fuck off if we get relegated. It has to be on an incentive basis. 

21 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Someone to save our ass?  Someone who's progressive going forward?  Someone who can keep us trundling along in the top level.  Someone that can get us up next season, if relegated?

Most likely it's the first one, which means going forward we might not have the right guy in anything other than the very short term.

Ideally someone who can save our ass and be progressive the following season. We shouldn't be content just to trundle along like the likes of Accies did during their time in the Prem because ultimately trundling doesn't sustain. We've been a progressive club before and can be again. COYW

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

As I’ve said on other threads we need the right manager to keep us up on a short term contract if we can get that. We then have some time to choose the right man for the future. Probably easier said than done 

First order of business has to be someone who keeps us up. That doesn't exclude someone who is progressive, but that is secondary for now.

That means someone with a bit of experience of this situation, and success in dealing with it.

Generally, in these situations, you need someone with the opposite personality of the outgoing manager. The biggest thing that struck me about Hammell, at least in his interviews, was how intense and serious he was. That's not a bad thing to be for part of the time, but at some point you need to be able to impart some fun and enjoyment in the players, even when they are underperforming.

So whoever comes in, as much as anything else, needs to bring in a fresh approach and mentality.

The bit I can't really get my head round is, if you look back to when Hammy was given the job and we went up to play the sheep. We played great attacking football, all the players were looking to play the ball forward early and even the midfield, like Slattery, were getting into positions in the opposing box. That lasted two or three weeks before we went back to Alexander style of stop, wait, play the ball back, no off the ball movement and a general turgid approach, leading to few if any chances being created. At the start, I really thought he was going to give us an attacking side in the style of McGhee Mk 1.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

First order of business has to be someone who keeps us up. That doesn't exclude someone who is progressive, but that is secondary for now.

That means someone with a bit of experience of this situation, and success in dealing with it.

Generally, in these situations, you need someone with the opposite personality of the outgoing manager. The biggest thing that struck me about Hammell, at least in his interviews, was how intense and serious he was. That's not a bad thing to be for part of the time, but at some point you need to be able to impart some fun and enjoyment in the players, even when they are underperforming.

So whoever comes in, as much as anything else, needs to bring in a fresh approach and mentality.

I agree. If you had to pick a name who would you go for? Who do you think can have the maximum amount of impact in the shortest space of time?The whole club needs a lift and possibly a bit of light heartedness. Who can do that whilst maintaining discipline and respect? 

Maybe a John Hughes character is closest to what we need at this moment in time?

As always it is a tough call.

6 hours ago, smiddy said:

I would suspect he'll read the forums lol

• Like 1

The essence of being a good manager is being able to change things on the park when things aren't going your way in a game and I don't think Stevie had that attribute.

How may times this season have we seen the opposition team make changes that have swung the game their way and we haven't reciprocated.

To me the players have downed tools and you can only hope whoever is appointed can re-instill a bit of pride and passion and get us organised into a shape which the players are comfortable with and we stop leaking stupid avoidable goals.

13 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Maybe Joe Efford is better than we all think? More likely, we were riding on the confidence of those first few games, and when things started to not go our way, our inexperienced coaching staff didn't know how to turn it around.

He's not better than what I think,I thought he was decent from a few games in,and was mocked for saying so,we've picked up 7 points without him,when he hit form he was a far better option than shields