Ross County v Motherwell 04/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Great result, fantastic run under Ketterwell, first half wasn’t great but job done in the end, spoke to one of the players yesterday says guys are really buying into what Ketterwell is trying to do,  identified right away we have no real wingers, looking to get Butcher into midfield but needs a fully fit partner for Casey, hopefully big Bevis fitness improves and he can start this will break up Goss, Slattery and Spittal.

I would start Lamie ahead of Mugabi. Big Bevis a great lad but just gives me the fear but maybe Dan the Man can help improve him

• Like 1

Huge three points. Bunch of total shitebags on here :-)

VAR ensured justice was done on both occasions. The penalty was a huge miss by the ref, and then for the red, when you see it from the behind the goal angle, KVV was going to cut across Iacovitti and go in on goal if Baldwin hadn't taken him out. It was also a really bad tackle and the definition of a professional foul.

Bringing on Cornelius gave us a bit more movement and he kept it simple. I thought we used our bench pretty well in general. 

Spittal is a key player for us now, but he's been better than folk have been making out most of the season. 

KVV really benefits from Obika being there. Both make sure the opposition back line is occupied the whole game. While I'm happy for obika to work hard and let KVV score two a game, it would be nice if he got some of his chances on target. Not complaining though, you can't argue with the difference he's made.

Not really any negatives from me, it was a fairly even game with each team trading spells of dominance. County hit everything straight at Kelly, but didn't have much in the way of clear cut chances. Like last week, we found ways to shore up when the opposition threatened. Brophy looked dangerous for about 30 mins, then we switched him off.

Casey and Butcher were solid again, and have to go down as some of the best January signings we've made. However, that has overshadowed the fact that Mcginn has been really good on the right side of that back 3. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yup I agree ...let's get cushion at bottom increased first before we start looking at possible top 6

Aye absolutely, our priority is getting safe from relegation. We spawny-ied a top six finish last season and it ultimately hampered us going into this one.

Let’s not try and run before we can walk.

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would start Lamie ahead of Mugabi. Big Bevis a great lad but just gives me the fear but maybe Dan the Man can help improve him

I’m on the other side of this, I get your view but I think Mugabi is a sellable asset. He’s the type of player English teams always want to pick up. Hands up the last handful of games he played he was hopeless but prior to that and under a spell during Robinson and Alexander’s reign he showed enough for me to think he definitely had the abilities to be an excellent centre half, he’s hard, quick for a big guy and great in the air. I think him and Casey with butcher just in front of them would be a nightmare for forwards to play against. I also think Casey and butcher would keep on top of him constantly. Big lamie seems too quiet to be a centre half for me.

anyway, just my opinion, I think kettlewell could sort him out defensively. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Aye absolutely, our priority is getting safe from relegation. We spawny-ied a top six finish last season and it ultimately hampered us going into this one.

Let’s not try and run before we can walk.

My glass is half full, I want a Dundee united win!

Our goal difference being better than most around us might just see us sneak into the top six you know.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I see change this and change that wtf would you want to change a team that's unbeaten in 4 makes no sense exactly the opposite.

What we are doing is clearly working and it works with the players we have 

Great win today great effort from all.

I think there is scope to change it against Rangers, Butcher solidifying the midfield may be a good thing.

16 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

My glass is half full, I want a Dundee united win!

Our goal difference being better than most around us might just see us sneak into the top six you know.

Each to their own, but I hope that Alan Burrows has a winning start to his tenure as Aberdeen chief. For our sake of course, not for his or his new club’s.

1 hour ago, mio said:

We’ve won the VAR comp today. Not convinced with that red. Van veens touch  was a shocker, and I’m pretty sure the other big centre half was getting there.

VAR Today:

Ross County pen claim in 1st half. Ref denied it but failed to consult to confirm. It was the right decision as the replay showed our player got a touch first.

Gave pen to Ross County at start of 2nd half. Asked by VAR to review then rightly reversed his decision as the Ross County player fouled Butcher first.

Yellow-carded Ross County player for foul on KVV then changed to a red card after being asked to review by VAR. If it was for last man decision IMO it was wrong and if it was for high tackle on Van Veen IMO it was dubious at best.

Still nice 3 points to have so onwards at upwards. COYW.

One of the differences I think is that we make changes during a game to address problems the opposition are causing us. Plus of course not giving up stupid goals helps keep the heads up and keeps our attitude in line so we can go score. 4 games, 7 for 2 against. Not too shabby. While not expecting or thinking that we will beat Rangers next game I am really really really hoping we do. 

12 minutes ago, El Grew said:

VAR Today:

Ross County pen claim in 1st half. Ref denied it but failed to consult to confirm. It was the right decision as the replay showed our player got a touch first.

Gave pen to Ross County at start of 2nd half. Asked by VAR to review then rightly reversed his decision as the Ross County player fouled Butcher first.

Yellow-carded Ross County player for foul on KVV then changed to a red card after being asked to review by VAR. If it was for last man decision IMO it was wrong and if it was for high tackle on Van Veen IMO it was dubious at best.

I also thought the red card was very harsh but that might be just because I was terrified of playing against 10 men!

• Like 1

I see butcher in midfield eventually but taking 10/12 pts with 2 clean sheets it would be bonkers to change it just now.  I know midfield has its issues but let's focus on the positives,  with an experienced no.2 now to help Stuart K then suddenly things are looking more rosier

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

One of the differences I think is that we make changes during a game to address problems the opposition are causing us. Plus of course not giving up stupid goals helps keep the heads up and keeps our attitude in line so we can go score. 4 games, 7 for 2 against. Not too shabby. While not expecting or thinking that we will beat Rangers next game I am really really really hoping we do. 

Exactly!Ingame Management from Kettlewell was something we have been missing under Hammell  was pretty much non existent tbh.Its one of the things I have been really impressed with under Kettlewell.

Christ we beat ten men today that in itself is an achievement lol.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, El Grew said:

VAR Today:

I thought the ref let their defenders away with murder most of the game, and seemed to be more concerned with where people took throw ins from. 

The first county penalty claim looked a stonewaller in real time, but clearly wasn't on replay. There's nothing to say that VAR didn't check it.

There's some other angles of the foul for the red that shows KVV would have been clean through and most likely would have got to the ball. Another one I would have been fine being a yellow until I saw the replay. 

Their defender celebrating winning the penalty like he just scored the winner in the cup final was funny. Best to wait and celebrate when you score them big diddy.

It will be interesting to see how we line up against rangers, with two weeks until the game we have Blaney, Mandron and Efford all very close. I'd personally stick with what has worked so far, but having butcher in midfield is tempting. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We're not really better going forward than we were under Hammell. 

Butcher and Casey have been the big difference.

We’re better organised, are working harder, and the players have bought into the new manager in a way they failed to do in the old one in my view. Do you honestly think we would have the same record in the last four games if Hammell had stayed ?

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We’re better organised, are working harder, and the players have bought into the new manager in a way they failed to do in the old one in my view. Do you honestly think we would have the same record in the last four games if Hammell had stayed ?

The players have obviously lifted their game and look more enthusiastic but going forward I don't think we are any better and still too reliant on KVV. Defending we are miles better thanks to Casey and Butcher who Hammell brought in. 

It's been fine margins for Hammell and Kettlewell. Paul McGinn scoring a crazy OG at home to Killie followed by Polworth sticking one in from 30 yards was terrible luck for Hammell. On the other hand Kettlewell has had positive results due to wonder goals from Max Johnston and Slattery.

We should have enough about us to stay up now but for next season Kettlewell will need to add a bit extra in attack and demand a lot more from the players than he is letting Obika away with at the moment.