2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

19 minutes ago, Throughthelaces said:

Anyone from the under 7s would be an improvement on Lamie one name I’m excited to see leave them club in the summer why h was given a new contract is beyond me

His goal against Livi last season which secured us top 6 both got him a new contract and saved Alexander's job. I wish he hadn't scored that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was happy when Lamie re-signed for us after his Dundee contract was voided. He did well for us at times but, like other defenders, his confidence looked really low last season. We can only speculate why - tactics, no protection from midfield, injuries to himself and to others. If he moves on in the summer then the timing will be much better than last summer and I would wish him well wherever he goes.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

His goal against Livi last season which secured us top 6 both got him a new contract and saved Alexander's job. I wish he hadn't scored that. 

Me too. Had we lost that game and finished bottom six then Alexander would have been gone by the end of the season, if not before, and we would have had the chance to appoint a manager and give him an entire pre season to get his own players in. It’s safe to assume that Stevie Hammell wouldn’t have been in contention for the job if it had become available at the beginning of the close season and this season would probably have been a whole lot different.

We would also have been spared Sligo, though I know that some Motherwell fans enjoyed it as they got to go on a ‘European tour’ to the tropical and sunny streets of…erm…Ireland…where they drank loads of beer and made lots of new friends. Cos that’s what fitba is all about eh? 🙄

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

In all honesty if he hadn't scored that goal and we had finished bottom 6 there is a chance we could have been relegated. Just my opinion but I don't think Lamie as bad as he is made out, think difference now is we have 2 very good defenders in Casey And Butcher

• Like 1

Lamie is pretty typical of oh so many signings over recent years .  Pretty average, regularly makes basic errors and when the going gets tough they can't be found. 

Suspect not materially worse than the likes of Butcher or Casey but they both have more on field presence and show leadership akin to likes of Hartley. 

We could do with offloading Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley , Slattery, Morris but all are contracted for another year and unlikely to be a queue of clubs looking to pick any of them up.

We can't afford to keep signing (even worse resigning) this type of player on long contracts. 

Lamie was fine last season he was just one of those players who was badly effected by the dip in form this term.

He also did fine when he came on as a sub a couple of weeks ago and it didn't effect our performance at all.

First choice should be Casey and Butcher but we need to remember Butcher is 33 next season.  So is McGinn. 

So you'd like to see the average age brought down a bit if we are playing 3 at the back.

Sportsound touting KVV for a move to Rangers again.

I hope he does a Higdon and takes his next payday in the Dutch league. I suppose he could move down south too, but his form there has been middling at best.

There is no doubt Butcher and Casey have shored up our defence and should be first picks. But Lamie is a decent back up and would be absolutely fine in a 3 with Butcher alongside him.

I think the issue we have is that we really need to trim the squad and we cant afford to have Mugabi, Blaney and Lamie all warming the bench if we want to increase the quality in other areas of the pitch.

Re KVV, I really hope that if/when he goes, its to a club outwith Scotland. Id hate to see him playing against us.

I think SK is doing an excellent job for us, BUT my concern that he thinks Mandron is a good player, I think he is the one weakness in our side at the moment in my opinion but I worry that we sign him up for another season, I would like to think that Obika being injured is the only reason he is playing in the first team, but it looks like Aitchison is not  in favour but I would prefer him to Mandron.

1 minute ago, middleeastdave said:

I think SK is doing an excellent job for us, BUT my concern that he thinks Mandron is a good player, I think he is the one weakness in our side at the moment in my opinion but I worry that we sign him up for another season, I would like to think that Obika being injured is the only reason he is playing in the first team, but it looks like Aitchison is not  in favour but I would prefer him to Mandron.

He did mention that Obika had been injured and was hoping to get him back. He spoke highly of how well he started. 

I don't disagree about Mandron. Suspect he's in the team to help when we punt the ball up, he's a big unit and if we win second balls etc it sets KVV and others up.  Something Aitchinson and others wouldn't be able to do. 

I'd be stunned if we kept him.

Way too early to give a verdict on Mandron. He's only made a few starts (and see other discussion on Furlong).

Just having him play alongside KVV has been beneficial anyway, as van Veen has been thriving with that extra man up top. If all Mandron is doing is keeping another defender occupied then that has been working OK.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic