2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

24 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Just curious as I usually switch off when Internationals are on but do we have a Chief Exec yet?Seems to be all quiet on that front unless I have missed the appointment.

Search ongoing was the least thing I read.

TBH, I was more concerned about filling the coaching staff vacancies first, so not too worried about a new CEO taking longer.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It's "ongoing".

For me Dave that statement says, "we've not been overwhelmed with interest in the job" but I'll give the board the benefit of the doubt and assume they are carrying out proper due diligence etc to ensure the get the right individual in post to take the club forward or,  just promote an existing club employee like they usually do.

25 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

For me Dave that statement says, "we've not been overwhelmed with interest in the job" but I'll give the board the benefit of the doubt and assume they are carrying out proper due diligence etc to ensure the get the right individual in post to take the club forward or,  just promote an existing club employee like they usually do.

Not sure that would be accurate.

I did think this was an April Fool when I first saw it. Personally, Id rather see Lennon Miller getting a chance and being developed from the bench. However, despite clearly being short of games in the last year, Paton did very well when he came on, so maybe he has something. Kettlewell has certainly earned the right for fans like me to shut up and trust his judgement.

You can already see the classic Motherwell career ahead of him where he will get an extension by virtue of not being totally pish but whenever we hit a sticky patch he'll be the first one out the door on the basis that he contributes very little. 

Craig Reid. Robbie Crawford. Riki Lamie. Josh Law. It's a big club. 

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

You can already see the classic Motherwell career ahead of him where he will get an extension by virtue of not being totally pish but whenever we hit a sticky patch he'll be the first one out the door on the basis that he contributes very little. 

Well done for doubling down on your original post......

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Presumably Stephen Robinson has already been alerted to this likely turn of events.

Manager brings in player he's worked with for a few years at his previous club.

Hardly unique to us.

I'm sure steelboy's scouting network contains a long list of superstars looking to play for us on Fir Park wages, but until he shares it with the club we'll just have to rely on Kettlewell's list.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

Have we had confirmation Max Johnston is definitely leaving at end of season or is the contract still on the table for him?

Theres an offer on the table , that said reports are several offers on several tables.  Be difficult to retain him albeit can be argued that getting game time is the best possible outcome for him at this stage of his career. 

Sadly I think max will be off,if he does go,we will be due some compensation and o'donnell is almost certainly going to leave as well so hopefully there's enough scope in the budget to find a decent right back for next season.

Max is 100 percent leaving sadly we really need to start pushing these players into first team more these development fees should be bigger transfer fees for me.

Like someone said above Lennon Miller should be getting more of a push as soon as we have say two more wins we are never going down I would get those young lads in like Miller give them some first team action give them a chance.

• Like 1

I personally think we played our cards well with max but the system doesn’t allow us to retain or really get much of a fee 

By the age of 17/18 we had come through the youth system and we loaned him out twice to give him the 1st team experience he needed to get into the first team. Have since played him in the first team 

bigger and better teams are interested - nice while it lasted and would have been nicer to last for longer .

I genuinely believe we do as well as we can in these situations .

sounds like dean may resign - that would be good for us 

17 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I personally think we played our cards well with max but the system doesn’t allow us to retain or really get much of a fee 

By the age of 17/18 we had come through the youth system and we loaned him out twice to give him the 1st team experience he needed to get into the first team. Have since played him in the first team 

bigger and better teams are interested - nice while it lasted and would have been nicer to last for longer .

I genuinely believe we do as well as we can in these situations .

sounds like dean may resign - that would be good for us 

I think we dropped the ball with Max Johnston big time.The fact he was loaned out in September and O Donnell really hasn't been any good for us for a long long while it would have been better for us to have Max pushing for first team rather than punt him  to Cove.

It might have even cost us a fair few bob if he was getting the praise he has been a few clubs might have pushed on with a bid for him in January to get him signed on.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I think we dropped the ball with Max Johnston big time.The fact he was loaned out in September and O Donnell really hasn't been any good for us for a long long while it would have been better for us to have Max pushing for first team rather than punt him  to Cove.

Absolutely. Alexander and to a lesser extent Hammell are culpable here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Max is 100 percent leaving sadly we really need to start pushing these players into first team more these development fees should be bigger transfer fees for me.

Like someone said above Lennon Miller should be getting more of a push as soon as we have say two more wins we are never going down I would get those young lads in like Miller give them some first team action give them a chance.

Only problem with playing the young lads is the difference in prize money between 7th and 10th.

Roughly 52k per place so do we try and win every game or possibly sacrifice that kind of money to promote youth.

In an ideal world we win all our games and play the young boys too.

Of course, it's equally possible the reason Johnston is able to push for the first team now is due to the first team playing time he got at Cove. 

That will have made him much more competitve than watching us from the bench on a Saturday. 

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Of course, it's equally possible the reason Johnston is able to push for the first team now is due to the first team playing time he got at Cove. 

That will have made him much more competitve than watching us from the bench on a Saturday. 

I shall say this if the former head of youth development is now manager of first team and doesn't fancy you for first team competition what hope do you have?

Don't agree with you considering he was coming off a fantastic season with QOTS Played 25 games scored 2 with 2 assists that tells me he was ready for first team.

McGinn could have been pushed inside,Sol or lamie dropped and Johnston been starting with Penny on the left.

• Like 1

I really dont understand this logic.

Even if we had played Max from the beginning of the season, he was still out of contract at the end of it. 

So even if a club had come in for him in January, how were we going to extract a transfer fee larger than the one we will get as a development fee?

Chances are we still get in the region of £400k for him and still only get the benefit of 6 months first team action out of him. 

The best we could have hoped for is not to get a bid in January and benefit from 12 months first team football.

Like others have said repeatedly on here, you can offer a young player an improved / longer term contract. But you cant make them sign it.

They are not all Motherwell minded like David Turnbull.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic