2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Obika was utter shite when he wasn't injured. He only managed a goal when the ball hit off him. 

If we actually sign him again it's a sign we are going down. 

If we replace KVV with Obika, Mandron, and Shields, we probably are screwed. 

Obika is good at holding up the ball, Mandron is good at occupying defenders, and Shields has proven he isn’t good enough for the Premiership. Importantly, none of them are goalscorers. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Obika was utter shite when he wasn't injured. He only managed a goal when the ball hit off him. 

If we actually sign him again it's a sign we are going down. 

1st day back for the players for pre-season training and you're off and running with the "we're screwed and getting relegated patter" 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a 29 goal striker last season and weren't safe until 3 games to go. Take him out the team and we would have been relegated. If Paton and Obika are the level of player we are looking at we will get relegated.

Who are the guys shaking hands with Tierney and SOD? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Scottish 1st tier to English 4th tier. Some move that would be. 

What’s he missing out on? Exposure at Ibrox, Darkhead & the city clubs’ aside… not a lot.

It's a risk. Opportunity to progress, more moves come with more responsibility.

• Like 1

Just now, wellfan said:

Scottish 1st tier to English 4th tier. Some move that would be. 

It's a new challenge. Football is a short career, and he may want to look back and say that he's tried his hand in different leagues, and outside his comfort zone. Nothing wrong with that.

28 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

What’s he missing out on? Exposure at Ibrox, Darkhead & the city clubs’ aside… not a lot.

It's a risk. Opportunity to progress, more moves come with more responsibility.

Good luck to the guy, it's his career. Personally, I think he would have benefitted from being more of a regular starter here for another season as he enjoyed his most consistent run in the side since Kettlewell took over. Just on Wellfans point, it does seem a bit underwhelming to be linked with the likes of Preston North End and various League One clubs to then land at Harrogate. Hopefully it all work's out for Dean but I can't say I'm overly gutted about his departure.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, David said:

It's a new challenge. Football is a short career, and he may want to look back and say that he's tried his hand in different leagues, and outside his comfort zone. Nothing wrong with that.

And probably more financial reward than he's getting just now, good luck to him, hope he does well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maz said:

Good luck to the guy, it's his career. Personally, I think he would have benefitted from being more of a regular starter here for another season as he enjoyed his most consistent run in the side since Kettlewell took over. Just on Wellfans point, it does seem a bit underwhelming to be linked with the likes of Preston North End and various League One clubs to then land at Harrogate. Hopefully it all work's out for Dean but I can't say I'm overly gutted about his departure.

Definitely good luck to the guy, he could have resigned here , presumably on not great money, but he's chosen to try something fresh, maybe learn some new things  .... hope it works out 

1 hour ago, maz said:

Thats Jon Obika officially rejoined. One year deal with the option of another year.

SK made it reasonably clear that he'd have this guy back and to be fair SK deserves a bit of leeway given his results as a manager.

Putting personal views to aside the stats outline 

32 years old, scored 66 goals from his 333 appearances over his 15 years as a pro.

Suggests he only ever plays half a season in terms of games.

will score 1 in every 5-6 games. 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

I legit didn't know Harrogate town was a team.

I’d to Google them, had no idea they were in league 2. Thought they were northern premier or something?

cracking wee place right enough, has much more scenic splendour than motherwell/wishaw. Good luck to him if he goes, I think he’d do quite well in the English lower leagues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maz said:

Just on Wellfans point, it does seem a bit underwhelming to be linked with the likes of Preston North End and various League One clubs to then land at Harrogate.

I think (and this applies to Max Johnston as well) wherever he ends up, if he wants to develop then he needs to be playing regular football. Could be that he'd develop more playing for Harrogate Town 30 times next season than sitting on Preston North End's bench (or in their stand) and making 7 sub appearances...

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

SK made it reasonably clear that he'd have this guy back and to be fair SK deserves a bit of leeway given his results as a manager.

Putting personal views to aside the stats outline 

32 years old, scored 66 goals from his 333 appearances over his 15 years as a pro.

Suggests he only ever plays half a season in terms of games.

will score 1 in every 5-6 games. 

If he stays fit, he's got the attributes to be a useful foil for a goalscorer, I hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Obika if that’s the sign of the quality we hope to bring in we will go down this season . Cmon give us some decent signings to get upbeat about 

He's fine as a link up player.....provided we replace Van Veen with a decent striker.  

As for Cornelius.  'One of our Own' turns us down to go to Harrogate Town.  Bizarre.  He might do better down there since it's a less technical league....

• Like 2

• David locked this topic