2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

6 minutes ago, davkel said:

So how many of them did the current manager sign ???

Enlighten us please !!!

I didn't say he signed them. Just that we constantly have one hand tied behind our back due to financial commitments to players not up to the required standard. 

No one wanted to sign Paton or Obika. SOD is pish, Kettlewell knows he is pish because when we needed goals against Livi and Dundee United the first thing he did was sub him off. 

We have been saying the quality over quantity thing for three years now with no sign it's ever going to happen. What happen is that they will keep jacking the tickets prices up with no apology to fund signing these duds.

We are a point now where the club should be a bit more careful with our money.

27 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Paton is a decent signing to be fair. Hadn't played for a while, due to off the field issues, but puts himself about and hopefully with a good pre season will improve. Deano well if that's ambition, he's not aiming high, just need to keep him out of Betty's tea shop. 

I think Paton is an upgrade on Cornelius, so no problem with this one.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, davkel said:

So basically you are saying that you dont trust the manager ???

Personally , I thought he did a great job since he came in .. obviously you have other ideas … each to their own

Why would I trust a manager who has never signed a good player in his career?

The jury is out. 

12 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Top priority should be getting Casey signed up .If we don’t get him signed then I think we are in shite street. Don’t know we gave Paton a two year deal looks like an auld pals act 

Trying very hard to do so .. everyone wants him back

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't know who's available but I know that we picked up Obika at the deadline in January and pulled Paton out a job centre in March. 

The priority should be signing starters first when we have the most budget to work with then if we need duds to round out the squad get them last minute where there are always plenty of Obika/Paton types available. 

Butcher is out injured for the few months of the season. That just leaves Kelly in terms of players we can rely on. The squad is as bad as it's ever been.

You never answered the question which "Starters" as you put it would you sign assuming availability and within our budget?

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's all about the transfer market and he's not got off to a great start. 

Hard to do when your hands are tied  due to money .. but of course you must expect him to turn water into wine like he did last season ..

Give the guy a chance FFS..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given that Cornelius has gone and we will be due a development fee for him, I dont think its the worst peice of business.

Any development fee will be due to Hibs. Best we can hope for is a sell-on clause.

• Like 1

Paton and obika did well enough as bit part players last season,I'm ok if that's what the plan is for them again this time around.we will definitely need to bring in some that can make a real difference though with van veen gone,butcher missing the start of the season and casey might not be back.

17 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Gone piggy tell us all who u wid sign 

Ah...Steelboy's alter ego good to hear from you, I leave who to sign up to Properly trained and experienced coaches like SK and his backup team. And like nearly every other keyboard coach on this forum judge them after I've seen them play.

Unlike you and your other self who just spout ill informed drivel for a bit of trolling fun, but if it keeps you happy fill your boots.

I think people are getting over a bit hasty regarding our business here. Obika and Paton will most likely be decent squad players, the gaffer knows them and both done okay last season, Obika making a good impact for the team before his injury but everyone should know at this moment in time they won’t be starters.

Regarding Dean, just another average player that kind of came through the youth system, he’s just another Carswell, Hetherington etc. Most likely a reason he wanted a new challenge (SK has told him he’s not guaranteed to start) so best of luck to him for trying a new adventure and hopefully works out for him but personally for me he’s just pretty average, he works hard but minimal effect on a game, never really stood out but he’s achieved a dream of playing for his club so he’s always got that. 

It’s the same every season we aren’t everyone’s first choice but can expect things to pick up next week as we go on our pre season trip, most likely taking a few trialists. For the job SK did last season I think we all need to have a bit of trust and faith in him. Of course that’s difficult when he requires a CB, Casey (hopefully), RB, LB, 2CMs, 2 STs, someone capable of playing wide to change things up when not working.

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Ah...Steelboy's alter ego good to hear from you, I leave who to sign up to Properly trained and experienced coaches like SK and his backup team. And like nearly every other keyboard coach on this forum judge them after I've seen them play.

Unlike you and your other self who just spout ill informed drivel for a bit of trolling fun, but if it keeps you happy fill your 

Funny that I replied the same thing to u at the start of last season but u werent having it 

48 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Disagree. 

Cornelius brought energy and drive. Paton is a Robbie Crawford sideways crab type clone. 

He certainly ran around if that's what you mean, but I can think of very few examples of him providing 'drive'. Phil O'Donnell provided drive, Alan Campbell provided drive. Dean Cornelius did not.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Regarding Dean, just another average player that kind of came through the youth system, he’s just another Carswell, Hetherington etc. Most likely a reason he wanted a new challenge (SK has told him he’s not guaranteed to start) so best of luck to him for trying a new adventure and hopefully works out for him but personally for me he’s just pretty average, he works hard but minimal effect on a game, never really stood out but he’s achieved a dream of playing for his club so he’s always got that. 

Sorry, to take this part post in isolation, at least keep things factual.

Career choice and a stepping stone don’t fit the narrative for some.

About how we shape the squad now. Paton not being a starter is for the naive thinkers.

Fair to reserve judgement.

Paton isn’t as bad as people make him out to be, but also not amazing.

Kettlewell has been brilliant so far, hopefully he follows it up with some decent recruitment and we can challenge for top six.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Sorry, to take this part post in isolation, at least keep things factual.

Career choice and a stepping stone don’t fit the narrative for some.

About how we shape the squad now. Paton not being a starter is for the naive thinkers.

Fair to reserve judgement.

No offence taken at all as I said I hope it works out for him and one day he comes back here a better player for Motherwell. However facts or not some murmurs were said about Dean not being a guaranteed starter hence that swayed his decision not saying that’s factual or not, in my post I said it as an example, obviously a reason a boyhood fan would leave the club when offered a new deal, again maybe not factual but could be down to money etc too.

Regarding Paton I don’t see him being a starter, Spittal, Slattery and hopefully Goss re-signs so there’s a pretty strong middle 3 that will start most games unless better come in. 

• Sad 1

After leaving County and dealing with his legal issues I don't think Paton had kicked a ball for at least 6 months before he joined us; never mind done any training.

A better time to judge will be once he has a pre-season behind him.

• Like 5

Every year teams like us, with a limited budget, have to wait while players decide what offer to accept or hold out in hope of a better offer elsewhere. Some of these players are of a better quality but others just think they are.
As frustrating it is for us, it must be worse for the manager & staff trying to get the deal’s done.  
Wether the guys already signed are good enough as starter’s remains to be seen but - while we try to persuade others to join us - I think it’s better to have them rather than scrambling around at the last minute picking from the leftovers.  

2 minutes ago, supermarv said:

No offence taken at all as I said I hope it works out for him and one day he comes back here a better player for Motherwell. However facts or not some murmurs were said about Dean not being a guaranteed starter hence that swayed his decision not saying that’s factual or not, in my post I said it as an example, obviously a reason a boyhood fan would leave the club when offered a new deal, again maybe not factual but could be down to money etc too.

Regarding Paton I don’t see him being a starter, Spittal, Slattery and hopefully Goss re-signs so there’s a pretty strong middle 3 that will start most games unless better come in. 

Was only taking the highlighted point in isolation, got your others. Could flip the thinking - no player should be a guaranteed starter.

Think you’ll find the lad had made the decision even before Kettlewell took charge. Gametime & progress under the new manager will have made the decision tougher without doubt.

The Goss ship has sailed methinks. Him & Slattery as midfield pivots doesn’t have the hallmarks of success for me, plenty of evidence last season to support.

Like I said, I’ll reserve judgement to see how the manager shapes us moving forward.

Just now, steelboy said:

The priority should be signing starters first when we have the most budget to work with then if we need duds to round out the squad get them last minute where there are always plenty of Obika/Paton types available. 

That's not how it works, this isn't a Football Manager video game.

There will be players we're sounding out who are weighing up our offer alongside other options. We can't just sit back and wait on the top priority players to make their decisions or become available before we sign other squad players. 

Not all the dominos are going to fall into line as we'd like them to. It doesn't work that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• David locked this topic