2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I understand the approach of scouring the planet for signings to try and find bargains, and that sometimes these guys can be projects that may not pay off. Getting one or two right could bring serious money and mitigate the failures. However, if we're going to sign project players, we probably need a better coaching infrastructure than we have.

At least in this case we identified the mistake and cut our losses. The money was spent the day he signed, so once we realized he wasn't up to snuff it was about recouping whatever we could.

I just don’t understand provisional clubs chasing players from a completely different culture, Old firm can probably get away with it by having a good back up of support that they can afford.

It will be interesting to see how the 2 Mexicans get on in Dundee, the cultural shock of living there in the Winter will test them I would imagine?

51 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I just don’t understand provisional clubs chasing players from a completely different culture, Old firm can probably get away with it by having a good back up of support that they can afford.

It will be interesting to see how the 2 Mexicans get on in Dundee, the cultural shock of living there in the Winter will test them I would imagine?

In the winter I hope to keep good insulation in their house/flat they have good underlay underlay!!!   Sorry 

• Haha 2

Love all the armchair Director of Football types who are claiming they knew all along that Danzaki was a waste of space. It's a shame the club doesn't bring some of you in to sort out the transfer policy.

In all seriousness, it's quite simply a case of one manager signing a player, and the next manager not liking the look of him. He was always going to take time to settle in, but he was deemed worth the wait by the management team at the time.

When he signed it looked like a risk worth taking. Top goalscorer during his time at Brisbane Roar, and only played four times for us, so it's hard to say what he could have done. 

But, the new manager didn't like the look of him, and that's how it goes. He'll move on, and we'll move on. This kind of situation has happened to far bigger clubs than ours, and it's happened to far better players than Danzaki. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

In the winter I hope to keep good insulation in their house/flat they have good underlay underlay!!!   Sorry 

I don't know what's worse that joke or the fact that I actually burst out laughing at it 😂

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mfc said:

Kofi balmer a defender from crystal palace is being linked to us today.

If true, would be a great addition to the back line. Was a standout at Ballymena before signing for Larne the season before last. Big, commanding centre half, decent on the ball and can only imagine his time at Palace has made him even better from when I watched him regularly. 

Also - looks nothing like his name suggests.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Kofi balmer a defender from crystal palace is being linked to us today.

Having read that it puts my mind a little more at ease. I don't know anything about Balmer but it does indicate that we're looking a strengthening central defence, either short term or medium term, which is a must in my book. Although Lamie and Mugabi are both decent guys they give me the fear. I know relatively little about Blaney yet.

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Having read that it puts my mind a little more at ease. I don't know anything about Balmer but it does indicate that we're looking a strengthening central defence, either short term or medium term, which is a must in my book. Although Lamie and Mugabi are both decent guys they give me the fear. I know relatively little about Blaney yet.

Agreed,a central defender is a must,the lad from palace seems to be highly rated so fingers crossed we can pull that one off.i think we will see a bit of lamie and mugabi in the cup games but hopefully not much more than that if we can strengthen that area,moving one of them on would be an ideal scenario.blaney being a starter in the cup games has to be a must if he's in kettlewells plans going forward.

49 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Balmer is only 22 but been playing at a decent level since he was 16, good experience 115 appearances for Ballymena and Larne according to Wikipedia with 11 goals, so sounds like a good prospect. I hope we can get a deal done, if the rumours are true.

17 hours ago, sinjy said:

More evidence of the bad appointment that Hammell was

How he could put so much emphasis phasis on a young player from 

The turnover of absolutely shite players brought in from here, there and everywhere is something that goes much further back than Hammell.

You are talking, for the most part, at least 5 years of terrible close season signings.

Eventually it catches up with you with the squad being denuded of the remaining talent, season after season.

We got away with it last season but something similar might be lurking in the near future.  The talent disparity, lost and brought in (so far), is miles off and has to give you the fear.

I'm not one of those guys that gets a knot in my knickers with a lot of time left in the transfer market.....but there has been a trend of decline probably going back the McGhee's last season, so I won't be banking on a raft of likes-for-likes, even.

• Like 1

I'll say this, for a club that has supposedly brought in "for the most part, at least five years of terrible close season signings" we've done not too badly during that period.

We've finished 7th, 5th, 8th, 3rd, and 8th again in that five year period. We've also reached Europe twice. 

But I guess those seasons accomplishments are mainly down to other teams being terrible and us "getting away with it" and being lucky, right? Absolutely nothing to do with the players we've brought in.

The truth is, a club of our financial standing is very rarely going to be able to recruit players who can be considered a safe bet to succeed. We just aren't in that financial position. Most of our signings are going to be a risk.

But, we've managed to unearth some real finds during that period as well. 

• Like 1

If I read Ya Beezer correctly. it is not a question of bringing in players that are sure to be a success. Given our finances that is almost impossible to guarantee. Every signing is a gamble but more so when funds are tight and choices need to be made.

The concern is the repeated erosion in the quality of the squad year on year. That has been going on for some considerable time. Sadly it is a fact of life and must be tough for the Board to oversee. Just compare like for like over the seasons. Eventually that erosion takes it's toll and a team ends up in the situation we were in before Kettlewell arrived. Others have experienced similar. It's inevitable even with the odd outstanding youngster coming through. To a degree we were fortunate that the real possibility of relegation was recognised by the Board who loosened the purse strings through necessity, and so the likes of Butcher and Casey were recruited to rescue the situation. Danzaki I will gloss over. KVV turning into Superman was huge as well.. That's my take on it anyway. 

On the plus side, other teams have had to go down that exact same route. So that has helped us keep ahead of some. Just compare St Johnstone, County and Kilmarnock's current squads with those of recent years. Even Livingstone and St Mirren have down graded year on year. Unless you have a massive fan base or a rich benefactor or both then the die is cast. And when the benefactor cuts back as per Killie and County, even that comfort is reduced. We have neither and the indications of late are that every penny is a prisoner.

I have no doubt more players will be brought in before the window closes. But given that the KVV monies were quoted by the Board as " securing our mid to long term future" and given comments that players we wished to retain were offered deals elsewhere that we chose not to match, I do not anticipate we will be anywhere near the side we were at the end of last season. Cut backs in non playing staff also hint at careful financial management.

Lennon Miller and Sam Campbell are youngsters with a great future but in reality it is too much to expect them to impact the team massively at this stage in their career. Unless Wilkinson can replicate KVV's contribution I fear we may well require another rescue act come January. I will be delighted if proven wrong.

Every club brings in players who don't make it or cut it. That's part and parcel of footy. Our most successful managers  over the last 40 years have singed some great players and some they'd rather forget.  Mclean must be our most successful gaffer and some of his signings were brutal but equally he brought in Cooper and other gems.

The key is moving them on when it doesn't work out, which isn't always that easy in the modern game. 

• David locked this topic