2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Wenger said it takes 6 months for a new player to get up to full speed in a team, and that's if they move from the same league. If they come from a lower division or a different country, it can take longer.

What he never said was to judge a new signing after 2 league games.

Aye, you've wheeled that Wenger story out twice now 😂

While it may very well take a player six months to get up to full speed in a team, if enough of these new players do that, it could result in relegation. 

Managers don't get six months, so they need their players to do the job. If Kettlewell isn't getting results and our new signings are floundering in six months' time? It won't matter what Wenger said. There will be a strong possibility he'll be gone. So he best hope those players of his can exceed ol' Arsene's expectations.

15 minutes ago, David said:

Aye, you've wheeled that Wenger story out twice now 😂

While it may very well take a player six months to get up to full speed in a team, if enough of these new players do that, it could result in relegation. 

Managers don't get six months, so they need their players to do the job. If Kettlewell isn't getting results and our new signings are floundering in six months' time? It won't matter what Wenger said. There will be a strong possibility he'll be gone. So he best hope those players of his can exceed ol' Arsene's expectations.

Aye! That’s right! Nae Arsene about, just perform. 

It's all fine and well saying it takes 6 months upto speed however it takes 1 minute to look at a players medical record and work out Obika has hamstrings made of glass that shall have him out for most of the season.

Obika 1 year with a 1 year possible  extension is basically 2 years worth of wages down the pan.

We are a body down already in an area of the pitch that looks to be our weakest.

• Like 1

Scott Burns is saying Biereth could be out for months. 

I doubt we will see him again if it's that's the case. There's no benefit to the player or Arsenal to playing in a league where technical players are targeted. We were 7th last season, St Mirren were 6th, we have 4 league games against St Mirren to come. Seriously injuring Beireth is a huge boost for them.

58 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Scott Burns is saying Biereth could be out for months. 

I doubt we will see him again if it's that's the case. There's no benefit to the player or Arsenal to playing in a league where technical players are targeted. We were 7th last season, St Mirren were 6th, we have 4 league games against St Mirren to come. Seriously injuring Beireth is a huge boost for them.

Sounds like Charles Dunne got the job done.

It doesn't sound good with regard to biereth and now we're left with two fit strikers,we need to be signing two but the way the budget is that might be beyond us,it' not panic stations but definitely concerning.

7 minutes ago, wellfan said:

With Maguire out the door, and hopefully Lamie and Efford following soon, we should have the budget to sign a proper number 9, a versatile wingback and a controlling central midfielder. 

I wonder if things will change with efford now we have these injuries and he will get more game time,hopefully we can move lamie on,I know mcginley has had his problems but surely he's another were looking to move on which would suit both parties,the fact we changed things about to put mcginn on the left on saturday more than suggests he isn't in the managers plans.

We're only two games into the season and out of the league cup already, and this is already the situation re. Kettlewell’s signings:

Davor - early days

Obika - injured again

Wilkinson - scored v Hibs

Bair - scored v Dundee 

Biereth - a murdered messiah 

Paton - injured 

Souare - injured

It doesn't look good, but the transfer window is still open.

Edited by wellfan
Forgot about Souare

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

know mcginley has had his problems but surely he's another were looking to move on which would suit both parties,the fact we changed things about to put mcginn on the left on saturday more than suggests he isn't in the managers plans.

Yep, Kettlewell clearly has no trust in McGinley and doesn't want to fully blood Wilson yet, so to me it appears that the former is now surplus to requirements. I think the guy deserves a fresh start elsewhere, and I wish him well. 

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Yep, Kettlewell clearly has no trust in McGinley and doesn't want to fully blood Wilson yet, so to me it appears that the former is now surplus to requirements. I think the guy deserves a fresh start elsewhere, and I wish him well. 

Aye it'll be best all round if mcginley moved on,what's the deal with soaure,he's injured now as well.ideally we get wilson out on loan and sign another left wing back that will actually come in and start,this shuffling mcginn to the left like we did on saturday isn't the answer either.

15 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We're only two games into the season and out of the league cup already, and this is already the situation re. Kettlewell’s signings:

Davor - early days

He was brutal on Saturday. Cost us the goal, positional sense was horrific and woeful on the ball. 

Bair and Wilkinson despite both scoring have been terrible as well. 

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

He was brutal on Saturday. Cost us the goal, positional sense was horrific and woeful on the ball. 

Bair and Wilkinson despite both scoring have been terrible as well. 

Those two strikers definitely haven't shown enough yet to suggest they'll score 20+ goals between them. And with Biereth now broken, that's a concern. 

Re. Davor. Do you remember how long it took Gorrin to settle in our midfield? And then he became pivotal. It's too early to judge. 

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Re. Davor. Do you remember how long it took Gorrin to settle in our midfield? And then he became pivotal. It's too early to judge. 

In Steelboys reality the settling in period is 30 seconds after you meet your new team mates for the 1st time, then 30 seconds after that they are labelled as shite.

• Like 1

Davor will come good I have a feeling that he will get a decent run in the squad and prove his worth.

The frontline is now such a ballache we are going to need to take away a another  position that needed strengthened to get two new forwards in on loan.

When you take a step back and look at our frontline it's one of the weakest in the league think we are needing some experience up front an old head that's played in the league just to help the new guys out.A signing that might make folk moan a bit but we seriously need something asap.

Edited by Spit_It_Out

18 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

When you take a step back and look at our frontline it's one of the weakest in the league think we are needing some experience up front an old head that's played in the league just to help the new guys out.A signing that might make folk moan a bit but we seriously need something asap.

Is that you saying we should make an approach to Fletcher and see if he's interested in taking a wage cut to play at Fir park? 🤫

35 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Is that you saying we should make an approach to Fletcher and see if he's interested in taking a wage cut to play at Fir park? 🤫

I would welcome him with open arms 100 percent only thing he needs not to be injured to sign on and ready for first team action which i think he would be.

• Like 1

Fletcher is a player we should have been looking at before bringing back obika and signing bair,he would have been a better option that either of those,we have wilkinson as the target man so adding fletcher now would just give us another big guy up front with not a lot of movement,we need the opposite,were crying out for pace and movement up front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

How much is he being paid right now and by who? I  thought he was released/walked away and is currently in receipt of no wages, so any employment right now would actually be an increase. Whether he would want to come to Fir Park is another matter. A deal to January might suit everyone.

32 minutes ago, mfc said:

Fletcher is a player we should have been looking at before bringing back obika and signing bair,he would have been a better option that either of those,we have wilkinson as the target man so adding fletcher now would just give us another big guy up front with not a lot of movement,we need the opposite,were crying out for pace and movement up front.

You know what Fletcher was earning at United, that's presumably one of the reasons he wasn't approached 

Why do fans assume a player who's left a club is automatically going to command similar wages at his next club? Once they leave, as Fletcher has left United, it's basically back to square one. 

If we're interested, we make our best offer, and if it appeals, they take it. If they get offered more elsewhere, then fair play, but previous salary is no indicator of future salary.

He knows his worth and will hold out until someone meets that number. With him being a free agent he will be able to take his pick of clubs that need a striker panicking after the window shuts, so he should be in no rush.

Also, who knows that we didn't approach him?

Fletcher is one striker most of us know is available, so its natural theres chat about him, the same goes for the constant talk about signing ex players, but there's plenty of others out there.

Also, previous salary is a significant indicator of future salary and always has been. It's not guaranteed, but the idea that "anything is more than the nothing they're getting paid now" just doesn't track, people should know what theyre worth and do what they can to realize that.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic