2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I think its fairly clear now that Bair is a project intended to be back up to Wilkinson/Obika who were to be paired with Biereth.

The fact that we have made an approach to Fletcher kinda confirms that, otherwise we would just go with Bair until Wilko is fit again in 3 or 4 weeks. Obika is obviously a longer term injury.

I just hope Oli Shaw has a bit of pace about him if he is the Biereth cover. Otherwise we will remain 1 dimensional without the option to change it up and go in behind.

Still think we need a LWB but other than that I dont see us adding anyone else.

I know some would like another MF or CB in, but with the numbers we already have in those positions, I dont see that as viable unless Efford and McGinley go out the door as well.

52 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We tried to get Fletcher to sign, I don't think we made any approaches to Mbappe. 

You miss the point. Fletcher didn't want to come here. Therefore it's pretty irrelevant at this point whether you think he's a better option than Bair.. 

Fletcher wanted more than 6 months and I dont really blame him. At this stage of his career Im sure he cant be arsed having to potentially find another club again in January. That doesnt mean he didnt want to come or still wont. But the club are right to try and get the best deal for us and he is right to try and get the best deal for him. Sometimes to two dont match up, but I hope we can find a way to make it happen. Him and Biereth in the second half of the season would be some prospect.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

You miss the point. Fletcher didn't want to come here. Therefore it's pretty irrelevant at this point whether you think he's a better option than Bair.. 

We know that now but at the start of the week the rumour mill was that he was coming hence the disapointment. 

Just now, steelboy said:

We know that now but at the start of the week the rumour mill was that he was coming hence the disapointment. 

He hasnt had a better offer yet or he would have signed for someone already. I wouldnt give up on him just yet. The rumour was Fletcher AND Ollie Shaw. It wasnt an either or.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think its fairly clear now that Bair is a project intended to be back up to Wilkinson/Obika who were to be paired with Biereth.

Project is kind and represents the situation.

Bair is clearly a fit strong lad,  willing to work hard.  Labelling project suggests he was cheap and we shouldn't expect to see much/anything for the first year. 

Bits of the game are more teachable than others. Strikers tend to have a nose for goal and the rest can be taught.  I don't believe Bair has the nose for goal but doesn't mean he can't offer something else. 

Who knows, he may end up being a decent midfielder or defender. 

The more we do to take pressure off the lad the better and like you and others have mentioned that means a position on the bench at best is the right place for Bair right now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He hasnt had a better offer yet or he would have signed for someone already. I wouldnt give up on him just yet. The rumour was Fletcher AND Ollie Shaw. It wasnt an either or.

I wouldn't be surprised if fletcher still signs as well,if the sticking point was it was only a 6 month deal we might need to compromise and get him here to the end of the season,even with shaw signing were still light up front and only an injury away from a crisis again,I think we may see efford move on and and fletcher arrive.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'm not disappointed that we've not signed a 36 year old who has missed preseason. By the time he's fit, Biereth and Obika will be back...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm not disappointed that we've not signed a 36 year old who has missed preseason. By the time he's fit, Biereth and Obika will be back...

The unknown is whether Biereth or Obika remain fit once recovered. 

I'm not a huge fan of a 36 year old Fletcher, however my mind changes when I look across our current front line.

27 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

The unknown is whether Biereth or Obika remain fit once recovered. 

I'm not a huge fan of a 36 year old Fletcher, however my mind changes when I look across our current front line.

Am I fan of the fact that we signed players with a patchy injury record or those just recovering from a significant injury? No. Do I realise these players may break down again? Aye. Do I feel the club should now gamble even more money on a guy who can be nowhere near match fitness? No thanks...

I'm quite happy with Oli Shaw coming in he can score a few goals and he's got a bit of pace from what I can remember and decent hold up play maybe not the most clinical tho can't help but feel we should have taken Fletcher on for a year but let's get behind the lad 

Things haven't worked out for Shaw at Barnsley, likely because he's hardly had any game time yet. However, given he's played many games across the Scottish leagues, including under Kettlewell, I fully expect Ketts to get a charm out of him with us. 

Edit: He's also a Hibee, so let's hope he smashes the Jambos for us on Sunday. 

Edited by wellfan

I would have thought that a 6 month loan was more appropriate  but maybe that wasn't acceptable to Barnsley or the player himself. That would allow our 3 injured strikers to return. Things may be tight but I think we're still a LWB and midfielder short. Hopefully 1 or 2 players to move out? Would Mark Ferrie would benefit from a loan?

50 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

You do wonder where Fletcher sees himself. Quite happy we aint signing someone caught in some delusional mindset

He's simply trying to get the best financial deal for himself. Nought wrong with that. If he wants to maximise his earnings that's quite understandable.  However, we must look out for ourselves. Again, nothing wrong that. No doubt another club will fork out cash for him. Good luck to them. 

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Am I fan of the fact that we signed players with a patchy injury record or those just recovering from a significant injury? No. Do I realise these players may break down again? Aye. Do I feel the club should now gamble even more money on a guy who can be nowhere near match fitness? No thanks...

Something tells me though Fletcher isn't just sitting on his butt.

A complete guess I know, but I reckon he's a pro that's kept himself pretty fit, maybe not match fit, but a few weeks would change that.

A lot of what Fletcher can give is in his brain, an intelligent player who can give assists as well as goals.

• Like 5

If he's still playing SPFL football at 36 he'll be switched on and have taken good care of himself. He'd only need a couple of weeks and could probably give us an instant impact off the bench had we signed him.

He's also scored 150 odd goals in his career. We don't have a striker even CLOSE to that.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Welcome to the Well Oli.  No pressure but if you fail to score within 45 mins you will be written off and called a dud!! 😜😜

No ... ahem...."Shaw" thing he will be a success but he can't be any worse than Bair and efford. . surely 

You Shaw about that? 🤔

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic