2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, David said:

If the club wants it, this summer could really be a watershed moment and a changing of the guard so to speak.

The following players are out of contract:

• Liam Kelly
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Paul McGinn
  • Calum Butcher
  • Callum Slattery
  • Blair Spittal
  • Jonathan Obika

I'd be looking long and hard at how the club has performed throughout the above player's stays and would argue that there's very little reason to offer any of them an extension. 

Now is as good a time as any to get that new Director of Football or CEO in, and have them implement a style and philosophy of play and recruitment before we make any decisions on extensions or player recruitment. 

Whether they meet your out of contract condition or not I’d be adding Blaney, Casey, Paton, Shaw, Bair and Wilkinson to your list.

That’s 15 players, and it is a really damning indictment on our playing resources at this point in time.

3 hours ago, David said:

If the club wants it, this summer could really be a watershed moment and a changing of the guard so to speak.

• Liam Kelly
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Paul McGinn
  • Calum Butcher
  • Callum Slattery
  • Blair Spittal
  • Jonathan Obika

I'd be looking long and hard at how the club has performed throughout the above player's stays and would argue that there's very little reason to offer any of them an extension. 

Now is as good a time as any to get that new Director of Football or CEO in, and have them implement a style and philosophy of play and recruitment before we make any decisions on extensions or player recruitment. 

I think you’re letting very recent performances cloud your judgement slightly here. In my opinion Kelly, Butcher, McGinn and Spittal have all proved over a much longer period than the last couple of months that they are more than good enough in this league. Suppose there is a question mark over Mcginn and Butcher age wise but still.

Id be happy to keep those 4 and Casey. The 2 loan boys in Beireth and Spencer are deffo good enough but not likely to stay. Miller will come back in after injury, those apart I’d be happy to see the rest go.

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Whether they meet your out of contract condition or not I’d be adding Blaney, Casey, Paton, Shaw, Bair and Wilkinson to your list.

That’s 15 players, and it is a really damning indictment on our playing resources at this point in time.

Oh, if we can find some way to remove Paton, Bair, Wilkinson and Obika from our squad I'd be all for it. It will prove difficult though.

Shaw is away at the end of the season, is he not? 

33 minutes ago, couttsy said:

I think you’re letting very recent performances cloud your judgement slightly here. In my opinion Kelly, Butcher, McGinn and Spittal have all proved over a much longer period than the last couple of months that they are more than good enough in this league. Suppose there is a question mark over Mcginn and Butcher age wise but still.

Id be happy to keep those 4 and Casey. The 2 loan boys in Beireth and Spencer are deffo good enough but not likely to stay. Miller will come back in after injury, those apart I’d be happy to see the rest go.

Yes, that's fair. I think they are good enough for the league, but I just think we've reached a point where it's time for a change. I'd say that someone like Kelly may need a fresh challenge and a new environment to kick on as well.

I think the past few years have jaded me slightly, and I'd like to see a complete reboot. That includes cultural, management, board level and players.

• Like 1

Posted here rather than other topic on running of club but applicable to both.  Interesting comment from our previous CEO AB in Record. 

Aberdeen’s head of recruitment Jordan Miles is a top target for Leeds United. Burrows has stated if he does go it will have no impact on their January as their transfer window work has already been done.

Is this also likely to be the case with us based on how season and performances have panned out or are we more likely to be reacting in January to more recent injury situations?  

5 minutes ago, purestate said:

Posted here rather than other topic on running of club but applicable to both.  Interesting comment from our previous CEO AB in Record. 

Aberdeen’s head of recruitment Jordan Miles is a top target for Leeds United. Burrows has stated if he does go it will have no impact on their January as their transfer window work has already been done.

Is this also likely to be the case with us based on how season and performances have panned out or are we more likely to be reacting in January to more recent injury situations?  

Every decision made by the club in recent years suggests that it's reacting to situations rather than following a proactive strategy. 

I'd also suggest that the Aberdeen machine is much better oiled and resourced than ours. 

On 12/7/2023 at 9:01 AM, David said:

• Liam Kelly
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Paul McGinn
  • Calum Butcher
  • Callum Slattery
  • Blair Spittal
  • Jonathan Obika

On 12/7/2023 at 9:01 AM, David said:

• Liam Kelly
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Paul McGinn
  • Calum Butcher
  • Callum Slattery
  • Blair Spittal
  • Jonathan Obika

I'd keep Oxborough and give him a chance, Obika and McGinn couldn't care less if the rest all fucked off.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Anyone care to bet against KVV going to Dundee Utd. He ain't going to Rangers or us and I suspect none of the more fancied team in the SPFL will go for him.

Looking around Hearts Hibs and Sheep forums no-one seems to fancy signing him especially if there's a fee involved.

The hibs manager said a striker is his priority so you would think with van veen been available there's a chance he might end up at hibs,unless aberdeen and hearts were to sell there main strikers I don't think he will end up at either.considering how well he did with us,i think his options will be fairly limited if he wants a move back to scotland in january.

4 minutes ago, mfc said:

The hibs manager said a striker is his priority so you would think with van veen been available there's a chance he might end up at hibs,unless aberdeen and hearts were to sell there main strikers I don't think he will end up at either.considering how well he did with us,i think his options will be fairly limited if he wants a move back to scotland in january.

I don't think his scoring exploits since leaving us will attract any of the top teams in Scotland, especially at 32. That's why I think  Dundee Utd will fancy him. someone within the price range and offer enough over a season to be the difference between them getting up or not. What a scenario that would be us facing Utd in a play off with them having Gallagher , Watt, Moult and KVV. The stuff of nightmares 😆😆😆

22 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I don't think his scoring exploits since leaving us will attract any of the top teams in Scotland, especially at 32. That's why I think  Dundee Utd will fancy him. someone within the price range and offer enough over a season to be the difference between them getting up or not. What a scenario that would be us facing Utd in a play off with them having Gallagher , Watt, Moult and KVV. The stuff of nightmares 😆😆😆

You wouldn't put it past dundee utd to chuck more money at trying to get promotion,especially now with raith rovers making a fight of that division.knowing our luck it would gallagher that relegates us in the play offs rather than any of the actual forwards 😂

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

And some trumpets in our support would still applaud Moult or KvV if either or both scored goals against us to get us relegated. :rolleyes:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, davkel said:

With Shankland probably going to Rangers , I would imagine Hearts will be first in line for KVV

Can't see it. He's scored five goals since he left us, he's 32 I don't think he's what Hearts would look to replace Shankland. Might be wrong just can't see any of the bigger clubs in Scotland going for him. He does seem to carry baggage hence Gronigen are willing to punt him after 5 months of a two year deal.

42 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Those will be the ones that applaud the team off the park after we've been horsed. That one baffles me. 

You think the same people who applaud the team in defeat would applaud anyone who relegated us? Now, that's baffling.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Those will be the ones that applaud the team off the park after we've been horsed. That one baffles me. 

Applauding the team off the park is something I can understand to be fair, especially if we’ve given everything but lost because we weren’t good enough. I don’t like it personally but I get it.

It’s the ones who seem to value certain ex players more than the club itself that rip my knitting. It’s as if they view the likes of McFadden, Moult, the majority of the ‘91 team etc as “their pals”. Each to their own of course but I just can’t understand why any supporter of the club would hold certain players, current or former, in higher regard than the club itself. And I say that as someone who loves the ‘91 team (Tom Boyd apart) and views Faddy and Moult as two of the best players ever to play with the club, certainly two of my all time favourites in our colours. 

• David locked this topic