2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

Slattery out for the season, confirmed by club social media.

We just keep lurching from one crisis to the next. 

You predict a defeat every week. Does the loss of Slattery change that ? Are the defeats going to be bigger or smaller ??

2 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

You predict a defeat every week. Does the loss of Slattery change that ? Are the defeats going to be bigger or smaller ??

Never mind me, this isn’t about me. Do you have any views on Slattery’s injury? How well fare without him? Where this leaves us? 

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Never mind me, this isn’t about me. Do you have any views on Slattery’s injury? How well fare without him? Where this leaves us? 

It leaves us a midfielder short of where we thought we were, which is less than ideal given our options. Crisis is pushing it, though.

Miller supposedly back 'involved' in training.

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

I can't have any views on Slattery's injury (other than it's not great news) because I don't know how or why it happened and I can't fix it. I'm sure though, that the staff all know about it and the management team will do something to address it. I think 'crisis' is pushing it a bit. It leaves the managment needing to strengthen the midfield, which we needed anyway. Be great if Miller is back though. He's been a massive loss.

Goalkeepers

Kelly
Ox

Defenders

SOD
McGinn
Mugabi
Butcher - injured/recovering
Casey - injured
Blaney 
Gent (loanee)
McGinley - surplus

Midfielders

Davor
Slattery - injured
Paton
Miller - injured/recovering
Spittal
Maguire - surplus

Forwards

Obika
Bair
Shaw (loanee)
Biereth (loanee)

There's barely a decent starting eleven in that list, let alone a complete matchday squad. It's a big window ahead for Kettlewell and Daws, as we probably need about 6-7 players in. Do we trust them to get it right this time?

I know injuries are part and parcel of football but it's scary how many long-term injuries that have been sustained in training over the last 5 or 6 years. Carroll, Hartley, Fox, Dunne, and Tanner to name a few.

Miller being back in training should be a timely boost for us,him aside though our midfield options are horrific.it was pretty clear early in the season that we would be overly relying on miller and it will be the same again when he's fit,it's not good enough that we find ourselves in such a predicament.

11 minutes ago, mfc said:

Miller being back in training should be a timely boost for us,him aside though our midfield options are horrific.it was pretty clear early in the season that we would be overly relying on miller and it will be the same again when he's fit,it's not good enough that we find ourselves in such a predicament.

With Miller now on an extended contract and our only saleable asset, rushing him back into the first team would be stupid and negligent. Giving too many first team minutes to some youngsters can lead to recurring breakdowns/injuries, particularly muscular. See Gavi and Pedri, for example. Therefore, bolstering the midfield should be a priority this window so that we don't have to rely on a valuable teenager (again) who will have just recovered from a significant injury and still be developing. 

Slattery getting injured isnt great for us or him in the circumstances.

Even with Miller back training and Maguire returning from loan, I felt we were at least 1 midfielder down from where we would like to be. So we are now looking at needing 2 in.

From Slattery's perspective, his deal is up in the summer and he clearly isnt going to be getting any gametime to put himself in the shop window for a move. Im sure we will look after him medically but it will be interesting to see what happens now in May.

Still cant fathom the chat about Montgomery. Off the back of the Furlong and Penney rumours, it appears we are definitely in the market for another LWB. However, he looks to be a very similar player to Gent (as were Penney and Furlong tbf) so not sure what the thought process is unless McGinley is being moved on again and we need cover.

RWB for me is a priority with Spencer away. We just cant be going into the run in playing 3 at the back with SOD or McGinn at RWB. Both can do a job, but neither has the pace to be a serious attacking threat.

Depending on how much longer Casey is going to be out, we probably need another CB and with Wilkinson being moved on there should be scope for another striker.

That takes SKs initial 1-2 signings up to 5 or 6!

Mr Daws is going to be busy!

• Like 1

A real shame for Slattery, I suspect he'll now receive a 1 year extension from us with agreeable terms for both parties.

76 appearances for us, he deserves an extension providing it's agreeable for all involved.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

A real shame for Slattery, I suspect he'll now receive a 1 year extension from us with agreeable terms for both parties.

76 appearances for us, he deserves an extension providing it's agreeable for all involved.

The guy's attitude has been terrible from the start. He looked fit at the beginning of the season then obviously pissed up the wall as soon as the international breaks came round. 

Hopefully he has better luck elsewhere and we should help him rehab but he can't be registered as a player here next season.

4 minutes ago, santheman said:

Looks like we're speaking to Andy Halliday.

Wouldn't be my first choice but very much in the "could do a job" camp especially in light of our current midfield options.

An experienced midfielder which we definitely need so would be happy to see him sign, decent player

26 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I am sure that we will (and should) facilitate his treatment and rehab beyond the expiration of his contract in May, but we're not a charity and should not be extending the contracts of players we know will be sitting in the stand. Didn't we do something with Craig Tanner, who immediately left at the first sniff of somewhere else?! It's probably not a like-for-like scenario, but my point remains. 

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I am sure that we will (and should) facilitate his treatment and rehab beyond the expiration of his contract in May, but we're not a charity and should not be extending the contracts of players we know will be sitting in the stand. Didn't we do something with Craig Tanner, who immediately left at the first sniff of somewhere else?! It's probably not a like-for-like scenario, but my point remains. 

Think it was a 3 or 4 month extension for Tanner and he rejected a further extension.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

But if you consistently predict defeats , relegation, administration, it is going to be about you....you are either very shrewd or just talk bollocks, I've got my own view

Feeling optimistic about the signings. 

1) it's no where near transfer deadline and we've got people lined ip

2) players who have proven to be decent within SPL already. 

Appreciate LWB looks like an odd role to fill first but very happy with the quality and standard. 

• David locked this topic