2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

11 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

If he's away no point getting our knickers in a twist about it. Thems the breaks. Kettlewell certainly getting the chance to rebuild , is he up to it? Who knows time will tell , certainly his signings in the summer don't fill me with much hope.

Yer dead right unless him and his chief scout fae doon south don’t get at least 4 players in before the game in Perth we are going straight doon 

9 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Yer dead right unless him and his chief scout fae doon south don’t get at least 4 players in before the game in Perth we are going straight doon 

well yodo we dont often agree on things but i will give you this wan    if he makes an arse of the signings n livi up the anti we could be in shit street, and even if livi dont i dont fancy 2 games against RR unless they get half there team injured / sent off in the qualifing games             but time will tell

I don't particularly think Biereth is as good as some make out but it does feel like the squad is getting thinner and thinner.

If he leaves it will mean that we're two strikers down, a right wing back short and a midfielder down with Slattery's injury. 

If Andy Halliday is the type of signing we're looking at, Livingston will suddenly fancy their chances of staying up...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't particularly think Biereth is as good as some make out but it does feel like the squad is getting thinner and thinner.

If he leaves it will mean that we're two strikers down, a right wing back short and a midfielder down with Slattery's injury. 

If Andy Halliday is the type of signing we're looking at, Livingston will suddenly fancy their chances of staying up...

I largely agree with you Greg. However, I'd add a central defender, and another midfielder to your shopping list. We badly need pace in the central midfield and up front, a pacy wide man and a finisher.

Like you I think Biereth is a decent player but think he's overrated. Maybe our system didn't suit him or bring out the best in him?

This is mental. I'm not saying we're as good as down without him or that he's irreparable but he's been scoring at a rate of more than 1 in 2 during one of our worst winless runs in modern history, has a better goals to minute ratio than almost everyone other than Shankland and assisted both our goals last time out.

20 minutes ago, Yassin said:

This is mental. I'm not saying we're as good as down without him or that he's irreparable but he's been scoring at a rate of more than 1 in 2 during one of our worst winless runs in modern history, has a better goals to minute ratio than almost everyone other than Shankland and assisted both our goals last time out.

No one is saying they want him to go but reading stuff like 'as long as it's nowhere in Scotland' like he's terrifying to face or that his 14 games for us means that it'll hurt more to see him score against us. I'd like him to stay but won't be devastated if he leaves..

More concerned over the quality of players we're being linked with...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

No one is saying they want him to go but reading stuff like 'as long as it's nowhere in Scotland' like he's terrifying to face or that his 14 games for us means that it'll hurt more to see him score against us. I'd like him to stay but won't be devastated if he leaves..

That's fair aye. I just think it really necessitates us getting a forward signing right, which we maybe hadn't even planned for at all unless we had a bit of forewarning from Arsenal. 

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

If he's gone, he's gone, bugger all we can do about it and the club will just need to get on with it. I certainly wasn't implying he's terrifying to face or it would hurt more to see him score against us, but he's already proved he can score in this league, so I'd rather he didn't continue doing so against us. 

10 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I largely agree with you Greg. However, I'd add a central defender, and another midfielder to your shopping list. We badly need pace in the central midfield and up front, a pacy wide man and a finisher.

What we'd like and what we realistically know we're going to get in terms of numbers is a different thing. I do not see us bringing in a central defender unless (and this is hugely unlikely) we move one on. With Blaney, Casey and Butcher to come back, it'll be seen as a waste of a wage. Are the central defenders we have good enough? That's a separate question? 

I can see a midfielder coming in and maybe one forward, pacy or otherwise. We have to remember that Shaw was only brought in because of Biereth and Obika's injuries earlier in the season. The manager seemed happy to go with four strikers at the start of the season. Obika, Shaw, Bair and one other makes four. Again how long Obika stays fit is an entirely different question? Mark Ferrie returns having not played longer than 10 minutes for Stenhousemuir since Halloween. Like yourself, I'd like two forwards but will settle for one that can stay fit and make some kind of impact...

As others have said, theres not much we can do about Mika being recalled, he is Arsenals player after all, but it is still a bit annoying. You do wonder what the point is of calling it a season long loan when they can be recalled at any time and then moved on for a better offer.

Definitely puts more pressure on the management and recruitment team which they could have done without. But lets wait and see what they produce before we start dooming us to relegation already. 

Very annoying to lose Mika, unless we can get some real quality in this window I really fear for us. I don't trust SK to get it right this window either. Yes he signed Biereth but has also signed a whole host of shite as well.

I think we're fucked, I really do.

• Like 1

Dont know if it was on here or P&B but someone said KVV had returned to Groningen in poor shape and has been sent to train with the youths. If thats the case Im not sure Id be pushing the boat out for him. Could be weeks before he is any use to us. 

Mika has been our best forward so losing him is definitely a blow.the fact that we now have yet another position to fill and a key one at that in this window is really concerning.

30 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I hope you're wrong but it does seem like the stars are aligning this season when it comes to bad luck and injuries. That is a blow. Hopefully we can recruit and recruit well over the next two weeks.

Before the break, the squad was paper thin. SK said that we'd likely bring in another 2 players to address that numbers/quality deficiency; more if players left. Discounting McGinley and Maguire returning, we've now lost 4 players (Souare, Spencer, Wilkinson and now Biereth).  We've brought in one, Montgomery. Whilst we can't always take such comments as being gospel truth, for a number of reasons, that would mean we're now looking at bringing in 5 more bodies in the next fortnight or so. 

I, like many, expected us to strengthen during this window, but as things stand at the moment we're looking to be weaker, taking into account Slattery's injury - thats quite a prospect. I hope that we don't just bring in bodies for the sake of it as per Melvin's concerns above.

I don't get the criticism of Arsenal by some (they do have previous as we should have known).  Such criticism should be directed at our own club for being somewhat naive. Season long loans are a risk as we've just found out with Biereth and Spencer.  A lot depends on the agreement wording of course. These big English clubs are not charities, they're ruthless businesses just doing what they do. For Arsenal read Aston Villa, Liverpool, Newcastle etc etc 

32 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Very annoying to lose Mika, unless we can get some real quality in this window I really fear for us. I don't trust SK to get it right this window either. Yes he signed Biereth but has also signed a whole host of shite as well.

This is where my views landed some time ago. He’s got 2 weeks left to change my mind. 

• Like 1

Absolute hammer blow to lose Biereth, the only quality attacking option we have. 

As others have said I have absolutely no faith in SK to bring in an adequate replacement in this window and his dismal transfer business last summer is going to get us relegated. 

This season cannot end quick enough. The end of this season may very well bring with it the end of our top flight status but if that’s what’s going to happen then we just need to deal with it however we can. There is literally nothing to look forward to between now and May. Our team is shite, our manager is out of his depth and relegation is looming.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Absolute hammer blow to lose Biereth, the only quality attacking option we have. 

As others have said I have absolutely no faith in SK to bring in an adequate replacement in this window and his dismal transfer business last summer is going to get us relegated. 

This season cannot end quick enough. The end of this season may very well bring with it the end of our top flight status but if that’s what’s going to happen then we just need to deal with it however we can. There is literally nothing to look forward to between now and May. Our team is shite, our manager is out of his depth and relegation is looming.

Luckily for us, there are other teams in this league.

The past 18+ months have very much been a protracted amateur hour. We can only hope that Livi remain worse than us because there have been absolutely zero signs to suggest that our management and recruitment personnel will either improve themselves or be improved by others. 

• David locked this topic