2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Not convinced we’ll see a CH coming in, and I’m not sure we need it given that we have McGinn, Butcher, Mugabi, Blaney & Casey, with O’Donnell also able to play on the right of a 3 if need be.

2 strikers and someone that can play wide left (if Montgomery’s season is a right off) would be what I’d be after now if poss.

• Like 1

Nicholson plays wide left, and Gent and Halliday can fill the left back spot if needed. So I'd say less of a need there than striker (if we're prioritising).

Given that no team is going to hand over a productive first team striker, I'm hoping we are looking at more Biereth-type loan options.

18 hours ago, stv said:

Will you also admit that the manager can see things in a player you can’t ?

I would admit that if I'd ever claimed it, but I haven't. In fact, when fans on this forum slate the manager, I often say there's a reason he's being paid to do the job he's doing while we're all discussing it on an internet forum. 

If you're looking for people to admit to what you're asking there, I think there's probably more than me you need to ask. 

Like most fans, I'll give my opinion on things, but I've never claimed to know better than any manager we've had.

It should also be said though, that one signing that has come good in Bair isn't a vindication of our transfer business and approach to it as a whole. There will always be outliers and surprises that pop up, but for every Bair there's an Obika, Souaré and Shaw. 

It could still be argued that one of the reasons Bair looks like such a decent signing is because the overall bar set by the recruitment team and our playing squad this season has been set so low. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Not convinced we’ll see a CH coming in, and I’m not sure we need it given that we have McGinn, Butcher, Mugabi, Blaney & Casey, with O’Donnell also able to play on the right of a 3 if need be.

2 strikers and someone that can play wide left (if Montgomery’s season is a right off) would be what I’d be after now if poss.

I really hope we bring a centre half in,other than mcginn the rest of them have been extremely poor this season, butcher's legs have gone and casey is coming back from injury.its maybe wishful thinking to get someone in that can have an instant impact like hartley or aldred did bit getting a new face in there might be enough to steady the ship and get some of the others upping there game a bit,there's no way we can keep defending the way we have been.

6 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Surely Spital not going to St Midden in the summer, club needs to really look at themselves if this is true.

It's not that much of a stretch. They're similar to us as far as league and cup ambition goes, and can reportedly offer more money. Plus, it wouldn't require the player to uproot his family or take kids out of school.

It's a no-brainer.

• Like 1

Two strikers would be ideal.

Any other business would be nice and support the team in our bid to climb the table.

However, with Miller coming back and Halliday and Nicolson coming in, we probably have enough in midfield to get by.

Defence wise I dont see us bringing in anyone at centre back. As others have said we have enough cover there, regardless of what you think about the quality. The money saved can be used to push the boat out and get the best quality striker(s) available.

Left back would be nice if Monty is gonna be out for 3 months, but even then I think the previous point stands.

Re Spittal. We really need to try and do everything to encourage him to stay. Moving club is always a risk as you never know how things are going to work out. But if we can improve his deal and show him he is important to us, he might be encouraged to stick around given that he is a guaranteed starter and playing well for a manager that clearly trusts and has faith in him.

29 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Re Spittal. We really need to try and do everything to encourage him to stay. Moving club is always a risk as you never know how things are going to work out. But if we can improve his deal and show him he is important to us, he might be encouraged to stick around given that he is a guaranteed starter and playing well for a manager that clearly trusts and has faith in him.

I would offer him a good contract but add a clause that says "Nae corner kicks allowed" 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, grizzlyg said:

I would offer him a good contract but add a clause that says "Nae corner kicks allowed" 🤣🤣

😆😆😆

That might have worked if Gents hadnt been equally poor at the weekend!

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Nicholson plays wide left, and Gent and Halliday can fill the left back spot if needed. So I'd say less of a need there than striker (if we're prioritising).

Given that no team is going to hand over a productive first team striker, I'm hoping we are looking at more Biereth-type loan options.

as per the beirth loan,, if arsehole think he done well with us , then send us your next one up . ffs man we are a diddy club smellic n rangurs have got money . the 2 capital clubs have got money so have aberdeen, ffs even dun fuckin dee have got a tie in with burnley,  how does no team anywhere want to tie in with us ?  there must be an answer somewhere, lots of teams get good premier league guys on loan except feckin us, am beginning to think no one fancys us

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

:doh: I like the lad hope we can keep him at Fir Park but he will have to stop reading this forum 😂and he might improve 🤔 😂

• Haha 1

The fact that Spittal is one of our better players, just shows how poor our standard (and our peers to be fair) has dropped in the last few years.

The guy is not irreplaceable, he's not even that good. He's just less shite than most of the rest of our squad. If he wants to go to St Mirren, good luck to him.

P&B saying ex stj player rooney to us    ffs a hope not   thats us got a left back and a right back firing great crosses into ????????? no cant  ( VV to a top flight dutch club ) which i cant remember or feckin spell vetise somebody i think 

3 hours ago, David said:

It's not that much of a stretch. They're similar to us as far as league and cup ambition goes, and can reportedly offer more money. Plus, it wouldn't require the player to uproot his family or take kids out of school.

It's a no-brainer.

Its a boot in the baws for us. He doesn't have kids at school as far as I know 

14 minutes ago, smiddy said:

P&B saying ex stj player rooney to us    ffs a hope not   thats us got a left back and a right back firing great crosses into ????????? no cant  ( VV to a top flight dutch club ) which i cant remember or feckin spell vetise somebody i think 

Rooney a good player but having just signed Elliot we don't need another right back....it's strikers we need

9 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Its a boot in the baws for us. He doesn't have kids at school as far as I know 

my god well girl 🤣  your spending far to much time on here,,,,,, you need to seriously get a telly:):)  although its only shite on that as well so you canny win

• David locked this topic