2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

5 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

SK was keen to keep Mandron, St Mirren offered more money 

We really are keen to scrape the barrel with these arguments as justification for potential signings. 

40 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I hear what you're saying about Bair. However, I don't think the January window is the time for another project or gamble up front, particularly given we've been seriously struggling to win games. And anyway, all the names are rumours, and a rabbit may still be pulled out of the hat.

I don't disagree that January signings, you want them to hit the ground running. There's no preseason to try and show them what you're after and fine tune. This guy wouldn't be top of my shopping list. Also for the same reasons as Halliday, lack of match sharpness (although I don't know how often he's featured for St Mirren reserves). 

But the Bair example (not to mention others who don't work out at one club but do at another - John Sutton at St Johnstone and Hearts?) means I'm not automatically reaching for "Awfirfuxake".

Sceptical, yes. Convinced he'll be a flop? No...

And again this is if we sign him...

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Obviously.

There has to be some sort of accountability for his lack of success.

It depends how you define success. Striker wise, we had a 50% hit 50% miss summer (Obika was already here, so Daws surely didn't make the decision to re-sign him). Overall, Dravkovski, Gent & Spencer proved decent signings, Souarè was obviously a mistake. 

Just now, bobbybingo said:

It depends how you define success. Striker wise, we had a 50% hit 50% miss summer (Obika was already here, so Daws surely didn't make the decision to re-sign him). Overall, Dravkovski, Gent & Spencer proved decent signings, Souarè was obviously a mistake. 

Davor, Gent and Spencer have been big parts of a team that can't win. Not disasters on an individual level like Wilkinson but still part of an overall poor window. 

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

I'd offer Kelly a contract to ponder but on less terms than he is on.

I'm so glad that you're not our head of recruitment. I accept that he has been less consistent than usual this season but he's been capped by Scotland since his last contract was signed and that achievement can't be rewarded with a pay-cut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wunderwell said:

Spittal for one. McGinn for two.
Try sign Gent on a permanent but could be beyond us.
I'd offer Kelly a contract to ponder but on less terms than he is on.

The six are Casey, Blaney, Davor, Miller, Paton and Bair.

Spittal and McGinn are the only two I'd be disappointed to lose , the rest are all very much in the couldn't give a monkeys for me and some like Mugabi I'd be horrified if we gave another contract to. I'd prefer a complete rebuild in the summer not an easy task but that's what the managers paid for.

Kelly's currently clear in last place on save percentage in the league. We aren't getting much value from him when you add in he can't catch crosses either. 

He's top class at time wasting but you probably don't want to spend too much of the budget on that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

St Mirren fans saying Robinson will announce two pre contract agreements after Window closes if one of them is Spittal do him and the club seriously think he wont get pelters until the seasons end potentially affecting his performances. PCA should not allowed to be made public 

if aberdeen get beat tonight , robson sacked in the morning, robinson to aberdeen wi flow and the midden in turmoil so feck there 2 PCAs they will be feckin ragin

49 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I'm so glad that you're not our head of recruitment. I accept that he has been less consistent than usual this season but he's been capped by Scotland since his last contract was signed and that achievement can't be rewarded with a pay-cut.

maybe not, but we can reward him with a big pair of kenny everrit gloves to help him come and catch crosses

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Well if Mandron gets picked ahead of him that’s not a sterling recommendation !!

so maybe we end up having to use our young guns? Maybe we have to just bite the bullet and play with one forward, so midfield have to take on the responsibility of chipping in with some goals. If we sign a dud and play them we’ll effectively be playing with 10 men so just stick with a loaded midfield and Bair up front. I do wonder that going with 2 Players up front actually weakens us? 

That was a point I made at the weekend, our midfield with extra bodies picked up so many loose balls and played much closer to each other, and carved out some decent chances (need to do some shooting practice though!)

I'm fine with 1 upfront, but we can't rely on just having 1 striker available. Obika even if fit could never show the mobility and energy needed which Bair did well. We can't rely on Theo with no back up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

He's on four fucking grand a week. Aye it can sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

😂 You know this how?

Because there's a list of players salaries that is easily accessible online and it's very well known that we pushed the boat out to get him back and he's our highest paid player 

Just now, fizoxy said:

Those lists online are unlikely to be real, probably copied from Football Manager or something like that. How would that information get into the public domain?

Why wouldn't it? Why should what clubs play footballers be secret?

It's very well known Kelly is our highest paid player. 

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

So you think he should be top earner and that he is a priority of where we should put our budget.

Right back at you I am glad you are not head of recruitment.  Bet you suck at Monopoly.

1 minute ago, wunderwell said:

It has been quoted and published before.

Many have alluded to this. Are you saying it is wrong?

It's common knowledge that Kelly is our highest paid player and that we offered him very decent wages to get him back 

• David locked this topic