So far we have added

Midfield - Halliday

Midfield - Nicholson

LWB - Montgomery (injured)

RWB - Elliot

RWB - Devine

LWB - Bubayu

FWD - Vale

I agree we need one more striker. But I think thats a pretty decent attempt at addressing the weaknesses in the squad.

We can argue all day whether we should have pushed the boat out for KVV or not. Personally, I feel it would have been a boost for the team and support to get him. But I wouldnt have been paying silly money for the privelege. There are no guarantees in football, so everything is a risk. 

Brophy would be a good signing in the Halliday mould. Experienced, knows the league and could hit the ground running. He or someone similar would complete the set.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Squad composition does seem a bit odd now. Definitely a bit short in central defence and up front and awash with wing backs.

Wouldn't say we were short in Central defence in terms of numbers, quality maybe.

Blaney Casey Mugabi Butcher plus McGinn and ODonnell who can also play there.

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

They won't get 3rd.

Top six gets them a home game where they can sell two stands to Rangers. 5th gets them Europe. They have Cove at home in the Cup so there's a good chance they either get an Old Firm tie in the next round or make the semi final. 

If we had been a bit smarter with our business in the summer we could easily be in a similar position. 

I wouldn't think they've a realistic chance of getting 3rd either, but I'll bet some at Rugby Park do now.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

I wouldn't think they've a realistic chance of getting 3rd either, but I'll bet some at Rugby Park do now.

They would need to go some to catch Hearts.

Not impossible but unlikely.

1 minute ago, santheman said:

Wouldn't say we were short in Central defence.

Blaney Casey Mugabi Butcher plus McGinn and ODonnell who can also play there.

We've got numbers in central defence its just that they have all been dross this season,the level of goals we concede is embarrassing.kettlewell came in last season and made us hard to beat,it's obvious he isn't able to do that this time around,we badly needed a new centre half to try and help get us going again and up the performance of the ones that have let us down all season.

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Squad composition does seem a bit odd now. Definitely a bit short in central defence and up front and awash with wing backs.

Are we though?

Montgomery was brought in as cover/ to allow us to push Gent further forward.

Due to his injury we have gone out and got Bubayu.

We all know SOD and McGinns deficiencies at RWB so we have gone out and got Elliot and Devine as cover or perhaps to push one further forward to replicate the partnership on the right.

I would guess with SOD, McGinn, Mugabi, Casey, Blaney and Butcher all able to play CB then there. Probably one or two too many there, but they are are all currently on the books.

I think midfield wise we look not too bad now with Davor, Miller, Halliday, Paton, Nicholson, Spittal.

Undoubtedly we are short up top though. Need another one in sharpish!

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

We've got numbers in central defence its just that they have all been dross this season,the level of goals we concede is embarrassing.kettlewell came in last season and made us hard to beat,it's obvious he isn't able to do that this time around,we badly needed a new centre half to try and help get us going again and up the performance of the ones that have let us down all season.

Got your reply in before I'd finished  editing mine but we're on the same page.

Just now, robsterwood said:

Hibs guy looks a good prospect. Must be a few more in prem or championship who can't get game for bigger clubs. Could use the v veen money we would have spent.

Maybe we will get them in the summer.

8 minutes ago, Inflato said:

And you'd no doubt slaughter his squatting technique.

And consistency of stool.

His failure to eat more greens is a disgrace......

Just now, santheman said:

2k pw in front of 4000 fans or 5k a week in front of 10000.

I don't blame him.

He gets his Sunderland wage wherever he ends up.

They will obviously go to the highest bidder but he's more likely to have got game time here.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic