2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

28 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

And yet it's basically the same team, both back line and midfield that we had last season with a pretty good defensive record.

Just shows you how much things like a bit of bad luck, confidence and the ball bouncing a certain way can influence a season.

We only conceded 5 in 7 before THAT Celtic match and the confidence of the team took a massive dive and that's when the flood gates opened.

Our backline was more settled last year with a fit Butcher , McGinn, Casey + 2 decent wingbacks.

The last few months has had so many chop/changes. Casey/Butcher/Casey struggling with fitness + form and having to move S'OD and Mugabi around a few positions.  

I still think we're struggling with the central defenders. If all fit and on top of their game I don't think all who started last night/recent weeks would get a game.

Also agree that confidence/habit creeps in.  As a team we're on tenterhooks for every cross ball. Need a few clean sheets to build confidence.  

27 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

For me McGinn out injured was massive loss.  Since he has come back we have been a lot more settled.  McGinn Butcher and Casey would be my back 3 but to be fair to Bevis he done nothing wrong last night.

Bevis' confidence certainly seems to be coming back and he had another really good game. He's now much more willing to drive out of defence with the ball which he's actually pretty good at. By contrast he's been passing the ball on / getting rid and immediately taking backward steps for the past few months.

5 hours ago, David said:

At this stage it's clear that Bair is the first choice (and rightfully so), with Vale pushing for that position as well. Having Shaw back as an extra body? I wouldn't be against it. He'd be the third choice for sure unless he proved us wrong.

Just like Bair has done

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Bevis' confidence certainly seems to be coming back and he had another really good game. He's now much more willing to drive out of defence with the ball which he's actually pretty good at. By contrast he's been passing the ball on / getting rid and immediately taking backward steps for the past few months.

Im not a fan of his but i think he has been very good both Saturday and lastnight. Long may it continue

2 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Oli Shaw back... hopefully he stays on the bench as 3rd choice. Imagine wee Ferrie will get loaned out again now.

As much as I like Kettlewell, he does get a hard on for his former players and it is frustrating.

Who are the former players, other than Shaw and Paton?

8 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Oli Shaw back... hopefully he stays on the bench as 3rd choice. Imagine wee Ferrie will get loaned out again now.

As much as I like Kettlewell, he does get a hard on for his former players and it is frustrating.

I hope he gets confidence from seeing Bair progress and kicks on. 

It at least gives us a bit of cover, as we were looking very light. Personally I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as some others on here, and with a few more mins may offer us something. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Who are the former players, other than Shaw and Paton?

Spittal, he's been different class since around Christmas but he was honking at points when the rest of the team was as well.

Paton has been good in recent weeks and has a found a role that suits him but he was anonymous in so many games prior.

24 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Which is a slap in the face to Ferrie IMO. Youngster or not he can’t offer us any less than Shaw? Surely? 

Spittal, he's been different class since around Christmas but he was honking at points when the rest of the team was as well.

Paton has been good in recent weeks and has a found a role that suits him but he was anonymous in so many games prior.

In fairness, he didn't bring Spittal in, and even when he wasn't at his best, I don't know who would've replaced him.

16 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I hope he gets confidence from seeing Bair progress and kicks on. 

He had started to get better and had notched a couple of assists as well. His finishing is questionable to say the least. Would like to hope that he will stop being booed on to the park though and hopefully he does contribute, but he shouldn't be getting a chance to feature ahead of Vale as things stand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

I think the whole team went through a dip in confidence that was visible. Spittal has always been a quality player in my view. Id say the same for Slattery. Clear a lot of the team struggled for a bit after the Celtic loss in September. 

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Which is a slap in the face to Ferrie IMO. Youngster or not he can’t offer us any less than Shaw? Surely? 

Personally I think it's the decent thing to do to support someone through an injury and not just cut their loan short. 

He had started to get better and had notched a couple of assists as well. His finishing is questionable to say the least. Would like to hope that he will stop being booed on to the park though and hopefully he does contribute, but he shouldn't be getting a chance to feature ahead of Vale as things stand.

I wouldn't disagree with that. Just a shame to see all the eff offs under the post on twitter. Folk are human at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MJC said:

I agree. Shaw offered the square root of fuck all and Kettlewell has rewarded him for that. Let's hope it's a new year, a new him. 

43 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I agree. Shaw offered the square root of fuck all and Kettlewell has rewarded him for that. Let's hope it's a new year, a new him. 

According to someone on pie and Bovril we actually cancelled the loan agreement and then took Shaw back on reduced terms - however that's someone who seems to have access to  information people like me don't. 

Says on the Barnsley site that it was following an appeal process but doesn't say more than that. Edited to say the appeal was from Barnsley apparently to the FA re paper work to make sure the deal was done before the transfer window closed. 

I like SK, I think he’s done a good job since he came but what he sees in Ollie Shaw is beyond me. 
Bair is doing really well, the lad Vale looks like a potentially great loan deal, we have young Ferrie as back up who I think has looked decent and deserves more time on the park and Obika stealing a wage until he gets fit again. 

you never know, he might be a new player since I last saw him but I doubt it.im sticking by my view of him as the 2024 version of John hendry.

48 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Personally I think it's the decent thing to do to support someone through an injury and not just cut their loan short. 

That’s fair enough. But at the same time it’s also the decent thing to do to give our own youth players their chance rather than loans that haven’t worked previously, for whatever reason. 

10 minutes ago, MJC said:

That’s fair enough. But at the same time it’s also the decent thing to do to give our own youth players their chance rather than loans that haven’t worked previously, for whatever reason. 

Perhaps Kettlewell doesn't want to put a 18 year old forward with very little first team experience straight into the first team given the league position we've been in lately. Obviously he rates him as he's been on the bench for the last couple of games. 

It's another body if nothing else and if true that we have got shaw on much reduced terms then you can see why kettlewell has went for it.the bar is pretty low on his previous showings so if we can get anything out of him it'll be a bonus.

• David locked this topic