Pre Season 2023-24

Kmcalpin

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

Club Twitter saying that Calum Butcher will miss several weeks of the new season after having surgery on his foot. That is a hammer blow for us.

A team without Butcher, Casey and KVV isn't a good team. I hope Kettlewell pulls a few rabbits from his hat soon. 

16 minutes ago, wellfan said:

A team without Butcher, Casey and KVV isn't a good team. I hope Kettlewell pulls a few rabbits from his hat soon. 

If accurate, relatively good news. I feared it would be several months.

We're now at the nadir of comings and goings - we've more or less heard of all the departures  but haven't yet heard of the arrivals. 

10 weeks until the window "slams shut"

I know clubs like to get their business done sooner rather than later, but players and agents often have a different perspecitve.

I imagine, like most seasons, we will still be conducting business after the league season starts.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:14 PM, weeyin said:

I know clubs like to get their business done sooner rather than later, but players and agents often have a different perspecitve.

I'd like to think that we're chasing the quality of player who is good enough to have numerous options on the table, so I'd expect them to take their time in deciding where to go.

• SteelmaninOZ changed the title to “Listen Up! Gaffer talking.”

Anybody else slightly concerned that we have embarked on a trip to Netherlands with barely any new signings other than Obika and Paton who were part of last season's squad, a raking of players deemed not good enough last season (McGuire, Shields) and half a management team.

I heard this week that both Tom Jones and Callum Davidson our Sports Science team have moved on so who's in charge of the conditioning and nutrition side of things whilst away? And Richard Foster who's meant to be the U18's coach is with the squad?

We have yet to appoint a CEO, We are at least 4/5 bodies light on coaching team and at least 6/7 quality bodies short on playing side of things yet away to Netherlands with a squad that may/will be replaced shortly should better players become available, would it not have been better to wait a couple of weeks?

Concerning times......

24 minutes ago, Wellfan91 said:

Anybody else slightly concerned that we have embarked on a trip to Netherlands with barely any new signings other than Obika and Paton who were part of last season's squad, a raking of players deemed not good enough last season (McGuire, Shields) and half a management team.

I heard this week that both Tom Jones and Callum Davidson our Sports Science team have moved on so who's in charge of the conditioning and nutrition side of things whilst away? And Richard Foster who's meant to be the U18's coach is with the squad?

We have yet to appoint a CEO, We are at least 4/5 bodies light on coaching team and at least 6/7 quality bodies short on playing side of things yet away to Netherlands with a squad that isn't good enough IMO.

Concerning times......

Not at the moment. We have "areas of concern" in the team as I see it, but not alarmed yet.  I hope we manage to strengthen before the League Cup though as thats one of the only 2 trophies we have a realistsic chance of doing well in.

The lack of off the field bodies including a CEO? Yes, that is a matter for concern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

We have yet to appoint a CEO, We are at least 4/5 bodies light on coaching team and at least 6/7 quality bodies short on playing side of things yet away to Netherlands with a squad that may/will be replaced shortly should better players become available, would it not have been better to wait a couple of weeks?

Concerning times......

Lots to be concerned about there. It feels like we’ve been rudderless for quite some time and the general silence from the club these days does nothing to address these concerns.  

2 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

Nope. We've still got weeks to sort out the playing staff.

1 hour ago, numpty said:

Nope. We've still got weeks to sort out the playing staff.

That's true but an update here and there would be good, especially if they're trying to tempt people to but season tickets

I don't usually criticise board or management because it's generally a no win situation but if what is reported above is true, we should be updated and advised other arrangements are being made.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

That's true but an update here and there would be good, especially if they're trying to tempt people to but season tickets

I don't usually criticise board or management because it's generally a no win situation but if what is reported above is true, we should be updated and advised other arrangements are being made.

I absolutely stand by that and am of the same ilk however the silence from the club on this is deafening, We should have been told about staff exits and player exits, the retained list was very minimalistic and didn't really go into detail.

Don't really see the need to announce that some sports scientists have left, we expanded that department when Alexander restructured just before we punted him, so maybe were going back to how it was? Did we announce when we brought them in? We seemed to have a few sports science-y folk there when they were doing the pre season testing and stuff, so I'm sure we'll be fine.  The club communicated when alan Archibald left, and I'm sure they'll communicate when his replacement is in place.  We've also been announcing signings and reporting on the ore season trip, so maybe some of you have been deafened by previous silences and not noticed this stuff?

Our recruitment team is still intact and the board is still there, with a highly experienced person handling ceo duties for now, so I'm not panicking about direction or managing things in the short to medium term.  I'm sure we could hire a body to fill the CEO position any time we wanted, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to a COO instead, either way, difficult positions to fill with our budget.

Our recruitment follows a similar pattern each season, with the bigger signings coming towards the end once a lot of the bigger clubs have sorted things out. With us changing our manager at the turn of the year I think that killed our chances at PCAs, especially when we've been trying to keep some of our out of contract folk, but we still made a few early singings, so we're hardly stagnant.

If the season was starting tomorrow I'd be concerned, but it doesn't, so I'm happy to see how things go over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

The only things I'm interested in are when a player has definitely left the club and when a player has definitely signed for the club. And that has been pretty clear so far.

Contract negotiations, offers, rumours, targets etc. are pretty much meaningless gossip until there is a signed contract to back them up.

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The only things I'm interested in are when a player has definitely left the club and when a player has definitely signed for the club. And that has been pretty clear so far.

Contract negotiations, offers, rumours, targets etc. are pretty much meaningless gossip until there is a signed contract to back them up.

Has it though? We have heard nothing on Goss, Johnston, Mandron and Casey?

1-0 up at halftime, Efford crossed for an own goal against the club whose chairman is named Willy Sticker.

Sadly not on MFC TV.

Trialist on up front for the second half.