Pre Season 2023-24

Kmcalpin

27 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Cricket? Anyone? 

They had the ICC World Cup qualifiers on here (spoiler alert, Scotland were glorious failures after beating the West Indies and Zimbabwe), but they started at 2:30am every day.

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Watched that today, the Aussies blew it and let England win by 3 wickets, thats them world beaters again.

Love Cricket!Went to the Ashes at Old Trafford I think about 2005 such a great day out. 

I am pretty covered Tour De France is on and The Ashes keeps me going til season starts.

• Like 1

I must confess as I get older, I enjoy rhe close season more than I used to and frankly if the football didn't start back til the second week in August, that would be fine by me. Our last league game was 28th May and pre season started on 19th June. I'd like a longer period of time when I don't need to worry about Motherwell...

12 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I must confess as I get older, I enjoy rhe close season more than I used to and frankly if the football didn't start back til the second week in August, that would be fine by me. Our last league game was 28th May and pre season started on 19th June. I'd like a longer period of time when I don't need to worry about Motherwell...

The older I get the less I worry, and the less I become effected by results.

Conversely, the more I care about the club.

Its a weird paradox.

No idea what that means is going on in my head! 😆

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

The long season was largely due to the enforced break for the world cup. Should be more of a break next summer. 

Like joewarkfanclub, however, as I get older I am less affected by poor results. I'm sure that's also due to distance and early kickoffs for me. 

I'm totally immersed for the duration of the game and desperately want a win every time, but by lunchtime I'm over bad one. 

• Like 1

Maybe I should have substituted 'think about' for worry as like you two I'm more philosophical as time goes by. But when the season starts, as a shift worker, the process of making sure I'm off for home games begins. 

I know the World Cup was a factor this season, but generally close season seems shorter than before. Not a fan of the league cup format although I know it's here to stay. If you add in 'non-Motherwell' football like the Scotland games at the end of the season, sometimes it feels like football never goes away at all. And I like football, but sometimes even I feel like my wife who doesn't when she says 'I thought the season was over?'...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Aye, I guess a football detox is maybe as important for our mental health as a digital detox!

Maybe I need to take golf back up again!

😆😆😆

Now that one depends on how good you are and what your temperament is like 😄

i’m not very good but my temperament still allows me to relax and enjoy it. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, pretzel said:

We beat Dundee United 1-0 in a game up at Tannadice this afternoon.

A goal from our new boy Conor Wilkinson which is encouraging.

I also see that Butcher is out for a number of months (it was a number of weeks not that long ago!) our track record shows that we never rush anyone back from injury so we will probably see him play again in December/January!!

Reading the report on game seems lennon miller quite involved with shots tackles and hitting free kicks which I feel is quite telling. He certainly looks very accomplished and although only 16/17 is a big boy so here's hoping.  Goal for Wilkinson another bonus.

47 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Reading the report on game seems lennon miller quite involved with shots tackles and hitting free kicks which I feel is quite telling. He certainly looks very accomplished and although only 16/17 is a big boy so here's hoping.  Goal for Wilkinson another bonus.

I am actually looking forward to the new season not so much the league cup can’t stand the format but the season proper that’s when it all clicks in for me

Also I always keep an eye on guys that have came through our youth set up see how they progress in careers and can’t wait to see Alan Campbell in the EPL this season!

32 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

can’t wait to see Alan Campbell in the EPL this season!

Would be great, but newly promoted teams do have a habit of gutting the squads that got them there and spending their EPL riches on expensive replacements.