Hearts v Motherwell 03/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 9/4/2023 at 6:37 PM, Happy Dosser said:

Tynecastle is still a great stadium, though, and well worthy of our sublime goal on Sunday 😍.

It’s the best stadium in Scotland IMO. When it’s full and the fans are vocal and on top of the pitch it provides a loud and quite unique atmosphere. That’s why going there and winning feels like such a big scalp as not many away sides outwith the Old Firm go there and win so that makes Sunday all the more impressive.

Their club song is the absolute best there is too, especially the original Hector Nicol version. There is something spine tingling and “hair on the back of your neck stands up” when that accordion intro kicks in.

49 minutes ago, MJC said:

It’s the best stadium in Scotland IMO. When it’s full and the fans are vocal and on top of the pitch it provides a loud and quite unique atmosphere. That’s why going there and winning feels like such a big scalp as not many away sides outwith the Old Firm go there and win so that makes Sunday all the more impressive.

Their club song is the absolute best there is too, especially the original Hector Nicol version. There is something spine tingling and “hair on the back of your neck stands up” when that accordion intro kicks in.

Sure your on the right forum. They are as bigoted as  ra gers and pretty hostile and unfreindly bunch in my experiance.  Oh and even worse they all come from Edinburgh.

4 minutes ago, stv said:

Sure your on the right forum. They are as bigoted as  ra gers and pretty hostile and unfreindly bunch in my experiance.  Oh and even worse they all come from Edinburgh.

Firstly, yes I am sure I am on the right forum.

Secondly, “they are as bigoted as  ra gers and pretty hostile and unfriendly bunch in my experiance” well if that’s your experience of them then that’s fine. It’s not mine though. I’ve always found Hearts fans (that I have encountered anyway) to be passionate supporters of their club and are fiercely proud of their own identity as a club and a support. Unlike alot of our support(and some others no doubt) they don’t allow what the Old Firm fans may or may not think of them to dictate what they say/sing/what type of kits they release. They are their own club and embrace that and I for one respect them for that. 

I don’t ‘like’ Hearts and I love beating them but I envy their support and the way they back their club and team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

Firstly, yes I am sure I am on the right forum.

Secondly, “they are as bigoted as  ra gers and pretty hostile and unfriendly bunch in my experiance” well if that’s your experience of them then that’s fine. It’s not mine though. I’ve always found Hearts fans (that I have encountered anyway) to be passionate supporters of their club and are fiercely proud of their own identity as a club and a support. Unlike alot of our support(and some others no doubt) they don’t allow what the Old Firm fans may or may not think of them to dictate what they say/sing/what type of kits they release. They are their own club and embrace that and I for one respect them for that. 

I don’t ‘like’ Hearts and I love beating them but I envy their support and the way they back their club and team.

I agree with you

I really hoped in the year they looked like putting up a challenge they could have extended their run.

Also to add some teams anthems can be stirring if you put a neutral hat on. I've attended a lot of non-Motherwell games and you can see from a different perspective plus it's way less nerve wracking!

4 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

I agree with you

I really hoped in the year they looked like putting up a challenge they could have extended their run.

I think it’s highly unlikely bordering on impossible for any side outwith the two Old Firm clubs to win the league again in Scotland but if any club has a realistic chance of it then it’s Hearts IMO. I don’t see it happening because of the gap in finances but they are the only club with the correct mentality to go on and win the league or “do a Leicester” if you like.

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

I think it’s highly unlikely bordering on impossible for any side outwith the two Old Firm clubs to win the league again in Scotland but if any club has a realistic chance of it then it’s Hearts IMO. I don’t see it happening because of the gap in finances but they are the only club with the correct mentality to go on and win the league or “do a Leicester” if you like.

Are you Craig Levin in disguise ? Just askin.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MJC said:

That’s the thing though, any team can be a Leicester.  As you mention, highly unlikely, but it is possible. For me the big thing that made them successful was that they managed to eliminate their stupid mistakes. A good team of solid hard working performers doing simple stuff. Every SPFL team should be aspiring for that one glorious season and every team should be going into games against the OF making sure that they know they have been in a game. Yes, it may be the “impossible” dream but if you don’t have that dream and desire then you’re beat before you even kick a ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stv said:

Correct the cousins of William from Gorgie aspire to be their Govan counterparts the sons of William its the same with the Celtic/ Hibs green hordes, the underlying bigotry, while not quite as bad as Glasgow is still there.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Correct the cousins of William from Gorgie aspire to be their Govan counterparts the sons of William its the same with the Celtic/ Hibs green hordes, the underlying bigotry, while not quite as bad as Glasgow is still there.

Having lived and worked in Edinburgh you're right Allan. Bigotry, although not on the same scale as in the west of Scotland, is alive and well in Edinburgh and always has been.

15 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

That’s the thing though, any team can be a Leicester.  As you mention, highly unlikely, but it is possible. For me the big thing that made them successful was that they managed to eliminate their stupid mistakes.

The big thing that made them successful that year was the usual big teams around them all being sub-par. That was the season Rodgers got sacked and Klopp came in around October, and Mourinho got canned and replaced by Hiddink etc.

It was the perfect storm really. 

1 hour ago, David said:

The big thing that made them successful that year was the usual big teams around them all being sub-par. That was the season Rodgers got sacked and Klopp came in around October, and Mourinho got canned and replaced by Hiddink etc.

It was the perfect storm really. 

A bit like rangers and Celtic now ??

Other than avoiding going to Parkhead and Ibrox for obvious reasons, the only other ground I generally avoid now is Tynecastle.

The only time I've ever felt unsafe as an away fan in recent years has been on the streets of Gorgie and in local bars before a game. I find that some of their fans are incredibly aggressive and hostile towards opposition fans, even when it's just me minding my own business. I'm not talking about general banter, I'm talking about threats of violence where I've felt exposed and at risk so have had to move on quickly. 

My view and experience are unsurprising given the links between some Hearts fans and Tommy Robinson and the EDL. Absolute scum. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, wellfan said:

My view and experience are unsurprising given the links between some Hearts fans and Tommy Robinson and the EDL. Absolute scum. 

I know nothing about Tommy Robinson and the EDL and it may be a very minor factor I have no idea whatosever, but a section of the Hearts support have always had this reputation for threatening behaviour for oh maybe 40 years - nothing at all to do with politics. That said, I know plenty of very reasonable Hearts fans. A section of the Hibs support also have a very bad reputation as mentioned above. All clubs have their nasty element but being bigger clubs, albeit in a Scots context, they have more than their fair share of troublemakers. 

Walked back along Gorgie Road to Haymarket after the game as did quite a few Motherwell fans from what I saw. And had a pint in a pub yards from Tynecastle before the game. Chatted to several Hearts fans along the way and on the tram. Not a sign of bother. Not saying I have never seen confrontation over the years but Sunday appeared peaceful. I remember being pursued along *Brewery Lane" many years ago having consigned them to another year of lower league football. Happy day! Perhaps Hearts recent results had an effect on things this weekend.

My experience is that all non OF fans tend to create more bother at away matches where a small number think they have a point to prove. Motherwell included. 

I have also been at a few non Motherwell Hearts and Hibs games in recent times and have not come across any bigoted goings on. Admittedly I have not been at any local derbies or games against either Old Firm where I guess such disgusting behaviour is more likely. To the contrary,  I have not been at any Celtic or Rangers match, regardless of opponent, where religious bigotry and just plain disgusting behaviour has not been on display.

So from my experience, and as someone who has lived and worked in Edinbugh since the 1980's, I don't think it is correct to class Hearts/Hibs fans in the same category as many followers of Celtic and Rangers.

I say that as someone who has no time whatsoever for Hearts, going back to Texaco Cup games and having had to suffer the comments of Hearts fans throughout my working career. But I do agree with MJC. With 18000 fans cheering them on and the stands constructed the way they are, the atmosphere can be as electric and intimidating as any ground in the UK. So more credit to Motherwell on Sunday for dealing with that atmosphere and coming away with a deserved victory. And respect to the fantastic, vocal Motherwell support who made themselves heard from start to finish. That support was something  a number of Hearts fans commented on post match.

• Like 1

Every clubs support has a bad element who can be aggressive and hostile to opposition fans, us included. Indeed we have an element of our support who are aggressive and hostile to other Motherwell fans.

I appreciate a lot of Motherwell fans from the generation slightly older than myself report plenty of bad experiences with Hearts fans particularly during the 70s, 80s and into the 90s but I’ve never personally seen anything from them to suggest they are in any way worse than the rest. For me Aberdeen fans are alot more aggressive, angry and downright nastier as a collective than either of the Edinburgh clubs.

6 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Looking at our goal I must say Slattery just gets better every game.  Last season I kept fighting his corner but did feel it was a lost cause.  Findlay he seems to be fulfilling his potential 

Simply down to fitness. Slattery could never have been accused of being fat but these modern kits really do show up who's carrying a little extra weight and last season it was him for sure.

• Like 1

Very composed finish. I wonder if he thought he was offside and relaxed for the finish? Initially focused on the vicinity around him I though he might have been off but then when you see the replay with defender on the other side playing him on by a mile, you wonder how the hell the linesman called it offside. That assistant needs a good rollicking.