Livingston v Motherwell 07/10/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 10/7/2023 at 1:45 PM, grizzlyg said:

Yes project Bair isn't working but he is only starting due to injuries.

I know I'm not really meant to be discussing Bair, but the whole idea of him starting due to injuries isn't really true, is it?

He's started every single one of our eight league matches thus far. In two of those games, he started alongside Wilkinson (which he also did in the cup game), and in one he also started alongside Efford. 

Shaw has been on the bench for five of our games this season and has never started but has always come on at some point. There's never been any talk about him being injured or not up to playing a full 90 to my recollection.

In our last three games, we've had both Wilkinson and Shaw on the bench. Okay, Wilkinson may have been coming back from injury, but again, he was available, alongside Shaw.

At some point, we need to realise that Bair hasn't been used because we had no other option up front. He has been playing ahead of Shaw for five games, and ahead of Wilkinson for the last two or three because Kettlewell prefers to use him up front on his own instead of one of the other two, or alongside one of the other two.

This is more of a tactical and personal preference choice by the manager than something forced upon him. Which is fine, he's the manager and he makes the decisions. 

But he has to be held accountable when he gets it wrong, and it looks to me like he's gotten it wrong the past few games. 

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The Wilkinson incident looks a penalty to me. Im not sure how he can be booked for simulation when there is clear contact from behind. I doubt at that stage whether it would have made a difference to the result, but it is annoying.

My question was rhetorical.  At the time  the referee immediately rejected his claim without any recourse to VAR and then waved his yellow card. Given that, I assumed it hadn't been checked. I at least thought it would have been checked. A player can be booked for simulation and be awarded a foul. Richard Tait was yellow carded at Easter Road for simulation but still won the foul. That being the case, the Livingston player who Lennon Miller "fouled" should also have been booked for simulation as he fell as if poleaxed.  

I really like SK and of course he will make mistakes down the line.  Bair on 2yr deal I think is the problem.  If just a 1yr deal you can see the basis on taking a punt but 2yrs a bit bizarre as was Obika on 1yr plus 1yr option.

It is time to give Shaw a proper run of starts and see how he performs.

But again the reaction to some after a bad performance really is hard to take.  Give me our situation now compared to a year ago anytime.  Hopefully KVV falls out of favour and we get him back on loan in January.....yep...very wishful thinking 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

My question was rhetorical.  At the time  the referee immediately rejected his claim without any recourse to VAR and then waved his yellow card. Given that, I assumed it hadn't been checked. I at least thought it would have been checked. A player can be booked for simulation and be awarded a foul. Richard Tait was yellow carded at Easter Road for simulation but still won the foul. That being the case, the Livingston player who Lennon Miller "fouled" should also have been booked for simulation as he fell as if poleaxed.  

Aye, sorry, wasnt referencing your post, just commenting on my own observations.

Far more contact on Wilkinson than Miller made on their player yet he gives a foul and a straight red for that.

A little consistency would be nice.

22 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Far more contact on Wilkinson than Miller made on their player yet he gives a foul and a straight red for that.

A little consistency would be nice.

Agree 100% Joe. Referee was very inconsistent yesterday. Pulling  players back for stealing 2 or 3 yards at throw ins yet ignoring others for stealing 5 or even 6 yards. I think we were unlucky with some of the major decisions, excluding Bevis' penalty. 

The red card was not a red card.

1. There’s no contact between the players.

2. The VAR was broken (VAR admitted that)

3. The Livi player being streetwise and tripping on his own plastic pitch.

4. The referee was very poor and the coms between him and VAR was not on the same wavelength.

That’s my take on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I’ve seen it at least half a dozen times and I still can’t see any trip or clipping of heels. You can see Casey at the referee pointing to the ground as if saying “he tripped up on the surface, not by Miller”. 

Even with my glasses on I just cannot see any contact between the players.

The doubt in my mind comes from Miller accepting the decision without any complaint.

Now you shouldn't need to contest a decision to get a decision but streetwise (older) players will do that.

12 minutes ago, mcguru said:

Even with my glasses on I just cannot see any contact between the players.

The doubt in my mind comes from Miller accepting the decision without any complaint.

I've watched the replay over and again and can't see much contact; I'm not saying there wasn't any at all. Now the referee was well behind play and his view was probably impaired. The nearest linesman would have been at least 35/40 yards away. How he reacted so quickly and decisively I don't know. As far as I'm aware the ref should issue a red card unless he is virtually certain about what took place. How could he be on this occasion?

25 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Wonder if we will appeal? Still not sure if VAR reviewed it at the time or not. 

Haven't heard anyone from the club complaining about the red card, so I doubt we'll appeal. I think they still add a game to the ban if an appeal fails.

I can't see any contact, but as others have said, Miller didn't contest it at the time and that's probably the best evidence of what happened.